Exhibits at the National Railway MuseumOn this page
Details on the NRM, other railway museums, heritage galleries and parks are available on this page. Please also note that the NRM periodically receives new exhibits and while this page attempts to keep pace, not all current exhibits are listed here.
Note: Wheel arrangements (0-4-0, 2-6-2T, etc.) are referred to extensively in this document as a way to identify various steam locomotives. If you are not familiar with these notations, please refer to this brief guide.
NG 2' 6" Locomotives
MTR No. 2, a 0-4-2WT built by Dick, Kerr in 1910. It was new to Karachi Port Trust for use in Karachi Docks. It was obtained by North Western Railway after 1/5/1917 for use at Marala Timber Railway and numbered 2. It was transferred to the Dhilwan Sleeper Works after 4/1922, where it came to the museum from.
Gaekwar’s Baroda State Railway, 60 (later IR WT class, #594), a 0-6-4T built by W G Bagnall in 1925.
Raipur-Dhamtari Railway, 08 (later IR RD class, #688), a 2-6-2 built by Nasmyth, Wilson in 1929.
Bankura Damoodar River Railway, 8., a six-wheeled vertical boiler loco built by Sentinel in 1929.
Eastern Bengal State Railway, 13 (later IR CS class, #775), a 2-4-0T built by Yorkshire Engine Co in 1932.
Kalka Simla Railway, 12, a four-wheeled diesel mechanical railcar built by Wickham & Co in 1932. All the railcars that were extant on the Kalka Simla Railway, 6 to 14, were considered for preservation.
Kalka Simla Railway, 14, a Bo-Bo diesel electric railcar, the frame and engine built by Armstrong Whitworth and the bodywork built by Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co in 1934.
A four wheeled diesel mechanical loco built by John Fowler in 1948. It was supplied New to Rajkot State Electric Supply Co and was later used on Rajkot Beti Tramways then Saurashtra Railway.
IR ZDM-1 class 704, a Bo-Bo diesel hydraulic loco built by Jung in 1955. New to Indian Railways and part of a batch of five locos, all used on the Kalka Simla Railway. When they were replaced by CLW built ZDM-3s from 1970, all five locos were withdrawn and regauged to 2ft 0in gauge for use on the Matheran Light Railway. This loco was trialled unsuccessfully on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. In 1972 it reverted back to 2ft 6in gauge and was sent to Pragati Maidan in New Delhi. This was the site of an international exhibition, which had 18 exhibition halls on an 150-acre site. Indian Railways had a permanent presence in one of these halls from 1972 to 2001. As part of this they had an approximately 1.5km line, laid in a figure of eight around the exhibition hall. This loco operated a pleasure train ride on this line using purpose built coaches. When Indian Railways closed their exhibition pavilion in 2001, the loco and coaching stock was transferred to the NRM.
NG 2' Locomotives
DHR B class 18 (IR later renumbered it as #777), a 0-4-0ST built by Sharp Stewart in 1889. One of the original locos in the museum, it was preserved as an example of a very successful small hill locomotive. It was planned that 779 was to be preserved but this locomotive replaced it.
A 0-4-0ST built by W G Bagnall in 1897. This was supplied new to Assam Railway & Trading Co as a 0-4-2ST, originally named HASANG. One of the original exhibits it was donated by Coal India from their Ledo Brickworks in Assam. Originally two of its sister locos were considered for donation, both of which have now been preserved (at the Coal India museum in Margherita and Indian Oil Corporation Ltd’s museum in Digboi).
Matheran Light Railway, 2 (late IR's ML class, #739), a 0-6-0T built by Orenstein & Koppel in 1907, Another of the original exhibits that was preserved as a unique example of a Maxward/Kleine-Linder articulated locomotive.
Matheran Light Railway 899. The identity of this 14-seat railcar is uncertain. It has always been quoted as Dodge/Koppel as it has chain and drive built by Dodge and body work built by Koppel. Its build date has been quoted as either 1927 or 1932. It has also been suggested that it is a conversion of a road vehicle. Its probable identity is Brookville 1202/1928 – this was a 2ft 0in gauge, 2 ton, unidentified Dodge powered vehicle supplied to the Matheran Light Railway.
E 207. The true identity of this is not the one that its works plate suggests. D 1175 was part of a batch of twenty-two locomotives (1174-95) supplied as 0-4-2's by Dübs & Co, Glasgow in 1878 to the Indian State Railway line, Rajputana State Railway. They were classified as E class locomotives, first numbered Nos. 102-23 and later renumbered as 230-51. In 1885-86, Nos. 230 (D 1174), 231 (D 1175), 237 (D 1179), 237 (D 1181) and 250 (D 1194) were transferred to the Jodhpur-Bikaner Railway. They retained their Indian State Railway numbers but they were now prefixed with a 0. In 1912, 0250 was converted to a saddle tank locomotive. In 1914-15, three more ex-Indian State Railway E class locomotives from Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway were transferred to the Jodhpur-Bikaner Railway. They were Indian State Railway Nos. 174 & 175 (from a batch of fifty locomotives built by Neilson & Company, Leeds in 1876-77) and 203 (from a batch of twenty-one built by Vulcan Foundry in 1877-78). By 1919 all these eight E class locomotives had been renumbered 0200-07, the saddle tank locomotive being 0207. When the Jodhpur-Bikaner Railway was divided in 1924, 0207 became a Jodhpur Railway locomotive. The Jodhpur Railway became the property of the Government of Rajasthan in 1949. It was integrated into Indian Railways in 1950 becoming part of Northern Railway. The locomotive was withdrawn in 1952. It is therefore suggested that this locomotive is in fact D 1194/78 fitted with the works plate of D 1175 – this locomotive was E class, No 0201. It came from Jodhpur.
Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway F1 class 734, an 0-6-0 built at Ajmer in 1888. Probably the first locomotive built at Ajmer Works. It did not survive the 1957 renumbering and was originally preserved at Ajmer from where it came. It was preserved at the NRM as a good example of a mixed traffic locomotive and an example of Allen valve gear.
Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway P class, 29 (later IR #861, finally #31652 in 1957). A 4-6-0 heavy passenger loco built by the Ajmer Workshops in 1922 according to a BESA design. After working various railway zones post independence, it ended up in the North Eastern Railway, from where it was bought to the NRM.
Madras and Southern Maharatta Railway, F class 118 (IR later numbering it as 37302) a 0-6-0 built by Dübs & Co, Glasgow in 1899.
Jaipur State Railway, 11 (IR TJ class #643), a 0-6-0PT built by W G Bagnall in 1942.
Niligiri Mountain Railway, 7 (later IR X class #37385), an 0-8-2T built by SLM, Switzerland in 1920. Equipped for rack working. Preserved as the only rack locomotives to ever have worked in India.
Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway, 162, named Duchess Of York, a 4-4-0 loco built at Ajmer Works in 1924.
South Indian Railway, 1 (later IR YCG-1 class, #21900), a Bo-Bo DC electric locomotive built in 1930. The frames, wheels etc. were built by Hawthorn Leslie with English Electric supplying the power supply and associated fittings. Withdrawn between 1965 and 67 when Southern Railway converted the section in which it was working to AC traction.
Bengal and North Western Railway, 429 then Oudh & Tirhut Railway, 429, then Indian Railways YB class #1006. Renumbered to 30084 in 1957, a 4-6-2 built by Nasmyth, Wilson in 1935.
Jodhpur Railway, HP class 152 (IR #31412), a 4-6-2 built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1948.
Jamnagar & Dwarka Railway, 203 (Saurahstra Railway, 1006), a 0-4-0 diesel mechanical loco built by John Fowler in 1949.
IR YDM-1 class 6002 (3003 when new), a B-B diesel hydraulic loco built by North British Ltd in 1954. The original Paxman V12 RPHXL II engines were replaced with Mak L6 6M 282 A(K) engines by CLW between 1975 and 1977. Preserved as an example of a Voith hydraulic drive with Cardan shaft drive to bogies.
Ramgotty, a 0-4-0WT built by Anjubault, Paris in 1863. It was new to Nalhati-Azimganj Railway as a 4ft 0in gauge locomotive. This line was taken over by the Government in 1872 and renamed the Nalhati State Railway. This in turn was absorbed into the East India Railway in 1892 when the line was converted to BG. Ramgotty was also converted to BG and used as a works shunter at the Jamalpur Works of the East Indian Railway. It was sold to Calcutta Corporation for use on their Municipal Railway in 1951, set aside there in 1962. Part of the first batch of exhibits at the NRM in 1976.
Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway, 26, a 0-6-0 built by Sharp, Stewart in 1870. Withdrawn in 1905 and preserved at Charbagh (Lucknow). One of the original exhibits here and preserved as it was an example of an early mixed traffic locomotive.
Nizam’s State Railway, 48, a 4-6-0 built by Dübs & Co in 1891. It was withdrawn between 1932 and 1935 and after being withdrawn, it was moved to the Railway Staff College, Baroda where it was sectioned for instructional purposes.
North Western Railway ST class 707, a 0-6-2T built by North British Ltd in 1904. It was assembled at Mughalpura Works, Lahore. Worked at Dhilwan Sleeper Works prior to preservation. It was preserved as it is a good example of early suburban locomotive.
Phoenix, built by Nasmyth, Wilson in 1907. It was delivered to East Indian Railway as the power unit of a railmotor. It was rebuilt as a 0-4-0WT in 1927 for use as a shop shunter at Jamalpur Works. M G Satow stated that the rebuilt locomotives were known as the Samson class. This locomotive was rescued from the scrap yard at Jamalpur works as one of the original exhibits of the museum.
Great Indian Peninsula Railway, 172 (later IR Y2 class #266530), a 2-8-4T built by North British Ltd in 1907. It became East Indian Railway, 1660 in 1931. Sold to Hindalco, Renukut, as their L-2 (the number it now carries) in 1967. It was preserved here after December 1997.
922, a 4-4-2 built by North British Ltd in 1907. It was delivered new to Great Indian Peninsula Railway as an E1 class loco, 922, named Lord Clyde renamed Queen Empress for the 1911 Durbar. Sent to North Western Railway in 1933 and rebuilt at Lahore Works in 1941 with lengthened frames and reclassified EM class. Became IR 36506 in 1957. It was preserved as the only remaining example of an Atlantic locomotive in India.
Monorail No. 3, a 0-3-0T built by Orenstein & Koppel in 1909. It was supplied new to Patiala State Monorail Trainway. It was restored to working order at Amritsar Works in 1975-76. It was preserved as a unique example of an Ewing monorail locomotive. MG Satow had rediscovered the remaining equipment of the PSMT at Patiala in 1969.
North Western Railway HG class 1598, a 2-8-0 built by Vulcan Foundry in 1909. It later became East Indian Railway 2053 then Indian Railways 1653, finally became 27059 in 1957. It was preserved as an example of standard freight/mixed traffic locomotive.
3, a 0-6-0 crane tank built by Hawthorne Leslie in 1923. It was supplied to Great Indian Peninsula Railway as a works locomotive for Parel Works. It arrived at the museum from Bhusaval in June 1976.
A four wheeled vertical boilered loco built by Sentinel in 1926. It was new to William Jacks & Co, Karachi. Sent to North Western Railway in 1944 and used as a shunter at Amritsar Workshops.
911, a 2-8-2 built by Beyer, Peacock in 1928. It was new to North Western Railway as a 0-8-0 XG class, 911. It was rebuilt in 1943 as a 2-8-2, reclassified as XG/M class and renumbered 971. It became IR 36826 in 1957. It came from Saharanpur where it was awaiting scrapping in 1976.
Great Indian Peninsula Railway EF-1 class 4502 Sir Leslie Wilson (IR WCG-1 class #20025), a 0-6-6-0 articulated DC electric loco built by SLM in 1928.
Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway 35B, a DC power car from an EMU built by Cammell-Laird (with the electrical equipment coming from BTH) in 1928.
Great Indian Peninsula Railway, EA-1 class 4006 (IR WCP-1 class #20005), a 1-Co-2 DC electric loco built by SLM in 1930. It is named Sir Roger Lumley – this name was originally carried by WCP-2 class loco 20024, which is now preserved in Nehru Science Centre in Mumbai.
Bengal Nagpur Railway, 815. (IR N class #38815), a 4-8-0+0-8-4 built by Beyer, Peacock in 1930. It was preserved as an example of the largest locomotive to have worked in Asia. Many parts from this locomotive were cannibalised to get another BNR Garratt #38811 (built in 1926), mothballed until 2004 at the Kharagpur Workshops, to working order.
East Indian Railway, 1789 (then North Western Railway, 779. IR XT class #36863). It was preserved as an example of a light shuttle locomotive. 37407 at Perambur and 36841 at Jalandhar were also considered for preservation.
South Indian Railway, 11 (IR PT class #37156), a 2-6-4T built by Robert Stephenson in 1936. It came from Perambur Works and was preserved as it was a good example of a suburban/shuttle tank locomotive.
Indian Railways HPS/2 class 7776 (then #24467), a 4-6-0 built by Vulcan Foundry in 1950.
0-4-0 fireless locomotive built by Henschel in 1954. It was supplied new to Sindhri Fertilizer Factory which became Fertilizer Corporation of India Ltd in 1961. It was withdrawn in 1973 and was one of the original exhibits when the museum opened.
IR WDM-1 class 17000, a Co-Co diesel electric built by ALCo in 1957.
IR WAM-1 class 20202, a Co-Co AC electric locomotive. Built in 1959 by a consortium led by SFCA, these were the first mainline AC electric locomotives on IR.
IR WDM-2 class 18040, a Co-Co diesel electric loco built by ALCo in 1962. This was the first loco of this class, directly imported.
IR WDM-4 class 18001, a Co-Co diesel electric loco built by General Motors in 1962. The first of this class, mostly used to haul the high-speed Rajdhani Express between Delhi and Howrah. All of them were homed at Mughalsarai. Preserved here since 2002.
IR WAG-1 class 20710, B-B AC electric locomotive from 1963. These were the first electric locomotives to be completely built in-house at CLW. It is fitted with the nameplate BIDHAN from 20700.
Other Rolling Stock
BG saloon car for the Prince of Wales built by Agra Workshops in 1876.
BG saloon car from 1886 for the Gaekwar of Baroda, built by Parel Workshops of the B.B. & C.I. Railway.
BG 1889 Viceregal dining car built by the Ajmer Workshops.
ERC-4910, a BG VIP passenger coach. Not much is yet known about this coach.
A special purpose armoured train car made by the Ajmer Workshops in 1890. MG.
The Mysore Maharaja's saloon, built by the Ashokapuram Workshops. MG.
A third class passenger coach built in 1902 by the Bikaner Works. MG.
Accident Relief Wagon from 1903, built by G.R. Turner Ltd. 2ft 6in NG.
A 1906 third class passenger and mail van from the Barsi Light Railway. Built by Metropolitan Amalgamated. 2ft 6in NG.
MSM-15, a BG saloon built for the Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway at its Perambur Workshops.
A set of first, second and third class coaches from the Niligiri Mountain Railway. Built by Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Co. in 1919.
A BG special purpose van to carry sheep. Built by the Liluah Workshops in 1929.
From 1930, a BG dynamometer car for the Great Indian Peninsular Railway, built by Metropolitan Carmel.
A pair of Presidential Saloon cars (9000, 9001) built by the Matunga Workshops of CR in 1956.