IR Railways Board HQ
799 0-4-0ST NB 23292 1924 (a)
a) Supplied to DHR B class No. 46. IR No. 799
Northern Railways Headquarters
MTR No 1 0-4-2T D Kerr 1910 (a)
(a) Supplied to Karachi Port Trust for use in Karachi Docks. Obtained by NWR in 1917 for use at Marala Timber Railway and
numbered 1. Transferred to the Dhilwan Creosoting Plant in 1922.
Rail Transport Museum, Chanakyapuri
PSMT No 4 0-3-0T OK 3358 1909 (a)
(a) One of four locomotives supplied by OK (works nos. 3356-9) in 1909 to the Patalia State Monorail system in the Punjab.
The line was c.50 miles in length and ran from Sirhind to Alampura and Patalia to Bavabigarh. The line was constructed,
run and managed by a firm called Marsland Price & Co. from 1909 to 1917. It was then taken over by the State of Patalia.
The line closed in October 1927. This locomotive was found in a Public Works Department scrap yard in Patalia in 1962.
Northern Railways at their Amritsar Works restored it to working order in 1975-76.
777B 0-4-0ST SS 3517 1889 (a
0-4-0ST WB 1506 1897 (b)
739ML 0-6-0T OK 2342 1907 (c)
(a) Supplied to the DHR. B class, No 18. Initially kept this number in 1957 renumbering but was later renumbered 777.
This locomotive was part of a batch of four supplied by SS (3516-9) in 1889. In all the B class consisted of forty-five
locomotives built in two parts. The first locomotives were built by SS between 1880 and 1903 and the second lot by NB and
DHR between 1903 and 1927.
(b) Supplied to ART as a 0-4-2ST. Originally named HANGSANG. Donated by Coal India from their Ledo Brickworks in Assam.
One of fifteen locomotives of this design provided by WB to this company between 1894 and 1931. There are also two more of
this type preserved in Assam (qv Pvd locos in Assam).
(c) Supplied to MHR. Originally numbered 2. Renumbered to 739 and classified ML class in 1957. Part of a batch of four
locomotives (1766-7 & 2342-3) supplied by OK between 1905 & 1907.
507 2-4-2ST WB 1707 1903 (a)
MTR No 2 0-4-0T D Kerr 1910 (b)
594 0-6-4T WB 2278 1925 (c)
688RD 2-6-2 NW 1564 1929 (d)
BDR No 8 6wVBGT S 8135 1929 (e)
775 2-4-0T YE 2321 1932 (f)
107ZF 2-6-2T Hens 22589 1935 (g)
(a) Supplied to the Military Reserve as part of a batch of twenty locomotives (1691-1700 & 1706-15) in 1902 & 3.
The Military Reserve kept railway equipment for 'emergency contingencies' - the British were still fighting the Afghan Wars
when these locomotives were delivered and the North Western Railway operated a number of lines on the North Western Frontier
on behalf of the Army (q.v. 119 in Mysore Railway Museum). Most of the Military Reserve locomotives were kept at Rawlipindi
but bases at Pune, Bangalore and Rurki had one locomotive each. Some of the batch of locomotives that this locomotive came
from were used on temporary lines laid in Delhi for the 1902 and 1911 Durbars. Fourteen of the twenty locomotives were sent
to the Middle East during World War One for use on military railways there. A maximum of four of these locomotives returned
in 1921. This locomotive was obtained from the Madras Engineering Group, Bangalore
(b) Supplied to Karachi Port Trust for use in Karachi Docks. Obtained by North Western Railways in 1917 for use at Marala
Timber Railway and numbered 2. Transferred to the Dhilwan Creosoting Plant in 1922.
(c) Supplied to GBSR. WT class, No 60. Renumbered 594 in 1957. Part of a batch of six locomotives (2278-83) supplied by WB
in 1925 & 26.
(d) Supplied to RDR. RD class, No 08. Line absorbed by BNR and then SER. Renumbered 588 in 1957. Part of a batch of four
locomotives (1563-6) by NW in 1929.
(e) Supplied to BDRR. Numbered No 8. The BDRR was owned and operated by McLeod & Co. Ownership passed to the SER in July
1967. Part of a batch of two locomotives (8134-5) supplied by S in 1929.
(f) Supplied to ESBR. No 13. Ownership of line passed to ER. Renumbered 775 and classified CS class in 1957. Part of a batch
of two (2320-2) supplied by YE in 1932. They were basically copies of locomotives supplied by R&R in 1880.
(g) Supplied to the NWR for use on the KSR. ZF class, No 78. Renumbered 107 in 1957. Transferred to KVR in the mid-1960's.
Par of a batch of five (22540-2 & 22589-90) by Hens in 1934-5.
E207 0-4-2ST D 1194 1878 (a)
37302 0-6-0 D 2373 1888 (b)
RMR 734 0-6-0 Ajm (1) 1888 (c)
37385 0-8-2RT SLM 2734 1920 (d)
31652P 4-6-0 Ajm (171) 1922 (e)
162 4-4-0 Ajm 1924 (f)
429 4-6-2 NW 1613 1935 (g)
643 0-6-0PT WB 2646 1942 (h)
31412P 4-6-2 BLW 74059 1948 (i)
(a) The true identity of this locomotive is a little confusing. It may not be the locomotive that its worksplate suggests.
D 1175 was part of a batch of twenty-two locomotives (1174-95) supplied as 0-4-2 's by D in 1878 to the RSR. This was an ISR
line. They were classified as E class locomotives , first numbered Nos. 102-23 and later renumbered as 230-51. In 1885-6,
Nos. 230 (D 1174), 231 (D 1175), 237 (D 1179), 237 (D 1181) and 250 (D 1194) were transferred to the JBR. They retained
their ISR numbers but they were now prefixed with an 0. In 1912, 0250 was converted to a saddle tank locomotive. In 1914-5,
three more ex-ISR E class locomotives from BBCIR were transferred to the JBR. They were ISR Nos. 174 & 175 (from a batch of
fifty locomotives built by N in 1876-7) and 203 (from a batch of twenty-one built by VF in 1877-8). By 1919 all these eight
E class locomotives had been renumbered 0200-07, the ST locomotive being 0207. When the JBR was divided in 1924, 0207 became
a Jodhpur Railway locomotive. The JR became the property of the Government of Rajasthan in 1949. It was integrated into
Indian Railways in 1950 becoming part of NR. The locomotive was withdrawn in 1952. I would therefore conclude that this
locomotive is in fact D 1194/78 fitted with the worksplate of D 1175. This locomotive was E class, No 0201.
(b) Supplied to MSMR. F class, No 118. The F class were extensively rebuilt after 1896 with 160 psi boilers, extended smoke
boxes and increased coal capacity. After this rebuilding they were classified FM class. Renumbered 37302 in 1957 when
fifty-two of the original one hundred and fifty six locomotives were still in service.
(c) Part of the F1 class of locomotives built at Ajmer. These locomotives were rebuilds of F class locomotives built by D,
YE, & N between 1875 and 1880. 734 was probably the first locomotive built at Ajmer Works. It did not survive the 1957
(d) Supplied to SIR for use on the Nilgiri Railway. X class, No 7. Renumbered 37385 in 1957. Part of a batch of twelve rack
locomotives (2456-9, 2469-70, 2733-6 & 3000-1) supplied by SLM between 1914 and 1925.
(e) Supplied to BBCIR. P class, No 29. Transferred to NER in 19XX and renumbered 861. In 1957 renumbering became 31652. The
BBCIR P class consisted of 78 locomotives, all built at Ajmer between 1908 and 1922.
(f) Built for BBCIR. M2 class, No 162 named DUCHESS OF YORK. Part of a batch of five M2 class locomotives built at Ajmer in
1923-4. M/M2 class consisted of forty locomotives, fourteen of which were still in stock in 1957.
(g) Supplied to BNWR. YB class, No 429. IRS design. Transferred to OTR in 1943, retaining its BNWR number. When OTR became
part of NER in 1952, the locomotive was renumbered 1006. In 1957, it was renumbered again, this time becoming 30084. Part
of a batch of eight locomotives(1610-7) supplied by NW in 1935. BNWR had twenty six YB class locomotives - twelve built by
NW, four by Skoda, eight by VF and two at Ajmer.
(h) Supplied to JSR. TJ class, No 11. Became part of the WR stock and renumbered 643J in 1957 (the J denoting that it was
an ex-JSR locomotive). Should have been numbered in the 39XXX series but the WR did not add the first two digits of the five
figure number to its locomotives. Part of a batch of two locomotives(2645-6) supplied by WB in 1942.
(i) Supplied to JdSR. HP class, No 152. BESA design. Transferred to NR and renumbered 31312 in 1957. Part of a batch of
nine locomotives(74058-67) supplied by BLW in 1948.
FAIRY QUEEN 2-2-2WT KTH 481 1855 (a)
RAMGOTTY 0-4-0T Anjub 91 1863 (b)
26B 0-6-0 SS 2018 1870 (c)
48A 4-6-0 D 2787 1891 (d)
707ST 0-6-2T NB 16132 1904 (e)
PHOENIX 0-4-0WT NW 798 1907 (f)
922EM 4-4-2 NB 17780 1907 (g)
1598 2-8-0 VF 2461 1909 (h)
3 0-6-0CT HL 3538 1923 (i)
4wVBGT S 6237 1926 (j)
911 2-8-2 BP 6505 1928 (k)
815 4-8-0+0-8-4 BP 6594 1930 (l)
36863 0-4-2T Krupp 1531 1935 (m)
PT11 2-6-4T RS 4118 1936 (n)
22907 2-8-2 BLW 69699 1943 (o)
WP7200 4-6-0 BLW 73408 1947 (p)
24467 4-6-0 VF 5825 1950 (q)
0-4-0F Hens 25630 1954 (r)
15005 4-6-2 VF 6193 1955 (s)
(a) Supplied to EIR. G class, No 22. Renumbered 92 in 1881 and 101 in 1884. Supplied as a mail engine though eventually
used as a construction locomotive on the building of the South Behar line from 1896. Preserved at Howrah station, along with
EXPRESS (KTH 480/55) which had a similar history to FAIRY QUEEN, from 1909 to 1943. Moved to Zonal Training Centre,
Chandausi in 1943. Moved to RTM when it opened in 1976, when it was restored to working order and painted in its original
colour scheme.i It was used for working tourist specials from 1997 ii.
(b) Supplied to NAR as a 4'0" gauge locomotive. This line was taken over by the Government in 1872 and renamed the NaSR.
This in turn was absorbed into the East India Railway in 1892 when the line was converted to BG. RAMGOTTY was also converted
to BG and used as a works shunter at the Jamalpur Works of the EIR. It was sold to Calcutta Corporation and used at the
Entally Refuse Tip on an unknown date.
(c) Supplied to ORR. B class, No 26. Locomotive withdrawn before 1905? Part of a batch of twenty-one locomotives (2003-23)
supplied by SS in 1870. The B class of locomotives consisted of eighty-four locomotives - forty-nine built by SS, twenty-one
by AE and fourteen by D.
(d) Supplied to NSR. A class, N0 48. Withdrawn between 1932 and 1935. After being withdrawn, this locomotive moved to the
Railway Staff College, Baroda. Here it was sectioned for instructional purposes. It was supplied as part of a batch of ten
locomotives(2780-9) by D in 1891. The A class consisted of fifty locomotives in total - thirty built by D and twenty built
(e) Supplied to NWR. Assembled at Mughalpura Works, Lahore. Used as a shunting engine. Part of a batch of twenty-nine
locomotives (16132-60) supplied by NB in 1904. The ST class consisted of forty-eight locomotives - forty-two built by NB in
Scotland and the other six being built at Lahore with NB parts.
(f) Supplied to EIR as the power unit of a railmotor. Rebuilt as a 0-4-0T in 1927 for use as a shop shunter at Jamalpur Works.
Part of a batch of five railmotor's (794-8) supplied by NW in 1907. All were converted to 0-4-0T between 1927 and 1929.
(g) Supplied to GIPR. E1 class, No 922, named LORD CLYDE renamed QUEEN EMPRESS for 1911 Durbar. Rebuilt in 1922 with a
superheater. Rebuilt at Lahore Works in 1941 with lengthened frames and reclassified EM class. Became Northern Railways
No 36506 in 1957. Part of a batch of forty locomotives (17863-83 & 17779-97) supplied by NB in 1907.
(h) Supplied to NWR. HG class, No 1598. BESA design. Rebuilt with a superheater and reclassified as HGC class. Transferred
to EIR and renumbered 2053. Transferred to NR and renumbered 1653. Renumbered 27059 in 1957. Part of a batch of forty
locomotives (2459-98) supplied by VF in 1909. HG class consisted of a total of two hundred and fifty seven locomotives built
by three different builders - VF, BP & NB.
(i) Supplied to GIPR a works locomotive for Parel Works. There were two other crane tank locomotives at Parel Works;
Nos. 2 & 3, both built by VF (3131-2) in 1915.
(j) Supplied to Jacks of Karachi. Jacks were a company who carried out canal building and irrigation works in the Punjab
region. This locomotive was sold to the NWR in 1944 and used as a shunter at Amritsar Works. Jacks had a large fleet of locomotives.
(k) Supplied to NWR as an 0-8-0. XG class, No 911. Rebuilt in 1943 as a 2-8-2, reclassified as XG/M class and renumbered 971.
Renumbered 36826 in 1957. Used for hump shunting. Part of a batch of three locomotives (6505-7) supplied by BP in 1928.
(l) Supplied to BNR. N class, No 815. Renumbered 38815 in 1957. Part of a batch of sixteen locomotives (6583-98) supplied by
BP in 1930.
(m) Supplied to EIR. XT class, No 1789. IRS design. Transferred to NWR and renumbered 779. Part of a batch
(n) Supplied to SIR. PT class, No 11. Renumbered 37156 in 1957. Part of a batch of seven locomotives (4114-20) supplied by
RS in 1936.
(o) Supplied as a USATC locomotive. XE class, No 4018. Transferred to GIPR, reclassified as AWE class and renumbered 6128.
Became CR locomotive and renumbered 22907 in 1957. Part of a batch of forty locomotives (69674-713) supplied by BLW in 1943.
(p) Prototype of WP class locomotive, No 7200. Later reclassified as WP/P class. By 1953 this was a GIPR locomotive. Part
of a batch of sixteen locomotives (73408-23) supplied by BLW in 1947.
(q) Supplied to NR. HPS/2 class, No 7776. Renumbered 24476 in 1957.
(r) Supplied to Railways Inspectorate Branch, used at Sindhri Fertilizers Co.
(s) Supplied to SR, WL class No 7790. Renumbered 15005 in 1957.
4 0-3-0T OK 3359 1909 (a)
520 2-6-2T NB 16819 1905 (a)
a) Supplied to KSR K class No. 20. IR 520, became KC class after rebuilding with superheater.
Ramgarhia Polytechnic, Phagwara
3530 0-6-2T 1913
0-4-0ST BH 263 1873 (a)
(a) Supplied as a 0-4-2ST for use on the construction work of the Lower Ganges Canal. Obtained by Indian States Railways in
1879 for use on RSR and numbered 421 in the ISR numbering system. Became the property of the Carriage & Wagon department in
1885. Preserved as a 0-4-0ST.
31494 4-6-0 Ajm 1925-6 (a)
a) Supplied to BBCIR G2 class No. 135. NR No. 98, IR 31494.
641J 4-4-0 WB 2635 1943 (a)
(a) Supplied to JSR. OJ class, No 14. Renumbered by the WR 641J in 1951 (the J denoting that the locomotive is an ex-JSR
locomotive). Part of a batch of three locomotives (2633-5) supplied by WB in 1943.
Rambagh Palace Hotel
4 0-6-4T WB 2009 1914 (a)
a) Supplied to BKR B class No. 4 S C GHOSE
52 2-8-2 Kawa 3233 1954 (a)
(a) Supplied IR ZE class No. 52
553 2-8-2 Nippon 1757 1959 (a)
a) Supplied to CR ZD class No 166. IR No. 553
Izzatnagar Workshop, Bareilly
4 2-6-0 WB 1993 1914 (a)
a) Supplied to TBLR No. 4. Acquired by NER Sleeper Depot Bareilly, retaining No. 4 in 1955.
146 2-6-2T NW 1647 1937 (a)
2-6-2 RSH 7434 1952 (b)
5010 2-6-2 Hitachi 12291 1956 (c)
a) Supplied to BNWR T class No. 442. Became OTR No. 442, NER No. 146, IR No. 32074
b) Supplied to IR YL class No. 2801 renumbered 5000
c) Supplied to SR YL class No. 2811 renumbered 2010
Chandausi Railway Institute, Chandausi
22002 4-6-2 VF 4865 1935 (a)
a) Supplied to NSR XA class No. 48. IR No.22002
Dehra Dun Station
795 0-4-0ST SS 4978 1903 (a)
a) Supplied to DHR B class No28. IR No. 785
6 2-6-0 WB 2255 1924 (a)
a) Supplied to TBLR No. 6. Acquired by NER Sleeper Depot Bareilly, retaining No. 6 in 1955.
5001 2-6-2 RSH 7435 1952 (a)
Supplied to IR YL class No. 2802, renumbered No. 5001
1 2-4-0T D 514 1872 (a)
(a) Supplied to PNSR which was one of the Indian State Railway lines. A class, No 13. Erected at the Lahore Works of the
SPDR. Became a TSR locomotive in 1879. Became BNWR No 1 in 1924. Withdrawn in 1924 and preserved at Gorakhpur.
29 2-8-2 KrM 17813 1952 (a)
a) Supplied to SER ZE class No. 625, IR No. 29
7656 4-6-2 CLW 2795 1965 (a)
a) Supplied to IR WP class No. 7656
527 2-6-2T NB 18595 1908 (a)
a) Supplied KSR KC class No. 27 IR No. 527
800 0-4-0ST NB 23293 1925 (a)
a) Supplied to DHR B class No. 47. IR No. 800
32 2-8-2 KrM 17934 1954 (a)
a) Supplied to SER ZE class No. 628. IR No. 32
Country Inn Resort, Kalan Mathura, Kosi
721 2-8-2 NW 1570 1929 (a)
a) Supplied to BLR F class No. 38. IR No. 721
i RTM Guide book; HH IL part 1.
ii BBC one o'clock news, /2/97.