Godavary District (1915)
"Godavary" authored by F. T. Hemingway and published by Government Press, Madras, 1915, under the District Gazetteers series.
Made available by the Internet Archive.
Source: Libraries of the University of California system Edited by R Sivaramakrishnan. Posted to IRFCA on: August 14, 2008.
I find this of interest on p. 126:
The only bridge across the Godavari is that at Rajahmundry which carries the Madras Railway and is described below. Foot passengers are allowed to cross it. There is no separate footway, but it is floored and provided with a handrail, and there are refuges on every pier where people can wait for a train to pass.
There is just one paragraph on the railways in the district: pp. 132-133:
The only railway which traverses the district is that which was originally called the East Coast Railway but is now known officially as the North-east line of the Madras Railway. It enters the district from the south at Rajahmundry over a fine bridge across the Godavari, and, skirting the northwestern edge of the delta, finally runs from Samalkot parallel with the coast till it passes out of the district at Tuni. From Samalkot a branch runs to Cocanada, the inhabitants of which have always protested vigorously against the chief commercial centre on the section being thus left off the main line. The bridge over the Godavari at Rajahmundry is one of the finest in the Presidency. It is built of steel girders laid on masonry piers which are sunk from 48 to as much as 100 feet below low water level and stand over 44 feet above that level. It has a total length of no less than 9,000 feet, or over 1 miles, between abutments, and consists of 56 spans of 150 feet each. It was opened to goods traffic in 1900. The railway was opened from Rajahmundry to Waltair (in the Vizagapatam district) in 1893 and the Cocanada branch in the same year.
But there is a lot about ferries and cargo boats on the rivers, and of course, on Sir Arthur Cotton (pp. 126 133).