IRFCA Mailing List Archive

Messages 8681 - 8700

Previous 20 Messages          Archive Index          Next 20 Messages

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Interesting info. from NR working TT

Date: 24 Sep 1999 08:30:09 -0500


Hi Folks,

1. Five overtakes at the same station - from my July 1993 NR working
time-table.

The following may well be the largest number of overtakes of a train at
the
same station :

The 2AC Agra Cantt - Kanpur Central Passenger is overtaken by FIVE
express
trains at Etawah. It reaches Etawah at 9.00 and leaves at 11.10 - a
whopping
2 hrs. and 10 mt. halt. Imagine traveling on this train and witnessing
five
different trains go past you!! The overtakes are -

1. Shatabdi Exp. - passes ETW at 9.31
2. ADI-Gorakhpur Exp. - arr. 9.43, dep. 9.45
3. North East Exp. - arr. 10.24, dep. 10.26
4. Neelachal/NDLS-Puri Exp. - passes ETW at 10.41
5. Amritsar-Muri Exp. - arr.10.53, dep. 10.58

I then looked at my Dec. 1998 Bradshaw and confirmed that all five
overtakes
still exist - the times have changed slightly and the train is now the
Tundla-Kanpur Passenger.


2. Special boards for electrified sections

a. Stop Board - "Electric Engines Stop" - provided normally on the
traction
structure ahead of the point where the overhead wire terminates on a
particular track.

b. Unwired Turnout Board - "Caution Unwired Turnouts" - provided at
places
where unwired lines take off from wired lines.

c. Lower Pantograh Board - This board on which a lowered pantograph with
an
arrow pointing downward is painted on a white background is provided 250
metres ahead of the place at which it is necessary to lower the panto.

d. Raise Pantograph Board - place on a structure ahead of the point at
which
it is necessary to raise the panto.

e. Neutral Section Ahead Board - These boards are of two types, one
placed
500 metres aheadof the neutral section, bearing the legend 500 M and
another
placed at 250 metres ahead on the neutral section bearing the legend 250
M.
The driver of an elec. loco. should become alert at the 500 M board. At
the
250 M board, the master controller must be brought to zero and the
driver
should be prepared to open the circuit breaker at the 'Switch Off'
indication boards.

f. Switch Off Indication Board - This shows two vertical lines, one
above
the other, with a horizontal line between - fitted on the traction
structure
immediately ahead of the neutral section.

g. Switch On Indication Board - three vertical lines one above the
other.

h. Feeding Post Board - Boards similar to c. and d. above except that
the
background colour is yellow instead of white. The yellow indicates that
the
drivers do not normally lower the panto. on the feeding post unless
caution
order is issued in advance.


Vijay

From: Shanku Niyogi <>

Subject: Re: Stolen diesel

Date: 24 Sep 1999 09:03:32 -0500


I remember something about this on the list in the past, so I took this
opportunity to look it up and present a link to our new archives! :)

Check out:
<A HREF="http://irfca.org/mail/msg3735.html">http://irfca.org/mail/msg3735.html</A>

Shanku

-----Original Message-----
From: Harsh Vardhan [mailto:hvc@vsnl.email
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 4:21 AM
To: shankie@emirates.email irfca@cs.email
Subject: Re: Stolen diesel


Dear Shankar,
I don't know anything about the stolen
diesel.
But the Pakistanis did pinch a WP (No. not certain) from us during the
'71
war. It used to haul the Indo-Pak Exp. and was on the wrong side when
the
war was declared. It is now proudly displayed in a Lahore Park(like we
do
with their Patton tanks and Sabre jets).

My father has a news report about this somewhere and I will fetch it out
as
soon as I get the opportunity.

If it is partition and riots afterwards that he is referring to, I think
many locos would've been nicked by either side. But I don't think there
was
a possibility of stealing a diesel in the early 70's war or before
because
both the border lines were worked exclusively by steam in those days.

Bangladesh side? Unlikely!?! And then it can't be BG on that border.


Regards,

Harsh

-----Original Message-----
From: S.Shankar <shankie@emirates.email
To: irfca@cs.email <irfca@cs.email
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 1999 2:31 AM
Subject: Stolen diesel


>Hello,
>A few weeks ago, I'd received a query from our own dear Larry Russel of
>EMD Export fame.
>He stated an interesting fact: one bg diesel engine had been nicked (to
>put it bluntly, stolen,or appropriated) by Pakistan during one of the
>wars.
>Anyone with any idea as to which one it was? Harsh, Appu?
>Cheers.
>Shankar
>

From: lwebber <>

Subject: Re: Anyone have these Inter-Station Distances, please?

Date: 24 Sep 1999 09:10:37 -0500


Dear Harsh and others

The data I really need is summarized below, listed by railway so the WR
region is at the bottom.


Could someone with Regional Railway Timetables, pre-1998 Bradshaws,
reasonable maps or other sources, please provide inter-station distances
(approximate will do, but indicate this) and/or any missing stations in
the sequence?
It is simplest to just insert the km-distance between the station names
when replying. Or to let me know if a line has been scrapped. Please,
answers to irfca.
I will repeat this message as updates are received.
I have completed entering data from all TTs/Bradshaws available to me
(covering all railways CR/ER/KR/NEFR/NER/NR/SCR/SER/SR/WR).


I AM MISSING DISTANCES FOR THE FOLLOWING RAILWAYS,GAUGES:-

ER,BG,Sheakhala,Dankuni Jn.,Andul Jn.
ER,BG,Princep Ghat,Eden Gardens,BBD
Bagh,Burrabazar,Ahiritola,Sovabazar,Bagbazar,Tala,Ultadanga Road,Dum Dum
Jn.
ER,BG,Ranaghat Jn.,Bankim Nagar Halt,Panchberia
Halt,Aranghata,Bahiragachhi Halt,Bhayana Halt,Bagula,Mayurhat,Taraknagar
Halt,Majhdia,Banpur,Harisnagar Halt,Gede
ER,BG,Lakshmikantapur,Namkhana
ER,BG,Malkera,Katrasgarh
ER,BG,Mokama Jn.,Mokama Ghat
ER,BG,Ikra Jn.,Gaurangdih
ER,BG,Damodar Jn.,Kalipahari
ER,BG,Patna Jn.,Digha
ER,BG,Sindri Town,Pathardih Jn.,Sindri Marshalling Yard
NEFR,MG,New Gitaldaha Jn.,Gitaldaha
NEFR,MG,Raja Bhat Khawa Jn.,Jayanti
NEFR,MG,Chalsa Jn.,Matiali
NEFR,MG,Agyathori Jn.,Amingaon
NR,BG,Ramganga Jn.,Chanethi
NR,MG,Bhagat-ki-Kothi,Fedusar Quarry Siding
PVT,NG,Fatuha,Hilsa,Ekangar Sarai,Islampur
SCR,BG,Sulehalli,Halakatta,Nalwar
SCR,BG,Bantanahal,Nancherla
SCR,MG,Namburu,Ladepalle
SER,BG,Sarona,Raipur Main Line B.H.,Raipur Branch Line B.H.
SER,BG,Belha,Ghutku
SER,BG,Bimalgarh Jn.,Kiri Buru
SER,BG,Jakhapura Jn.,Daitari
SER,BG,Kapilas Road Jn.,Charbatia
SER,BG,Nuagaon,Purnapani
SER,BG,Gokulpur,Nimpura Jn.
SER,BG,Nimpura Jn.,Hijli Jn.
SER,BG,Rukni,Anara Jn.
SER,BG,Sanka,Joychandipahar,Garh-Dhrubeswar
SER,BG,Talgaria,Tupkadi
SER,BG,Barabil,Balani Khadan
SER,BG,Padapar,Banspani,Jaruri
SER,BG,Ramkanali,Chowka
SER,BG,Damodar Jn.,Kulti
SER,BG,Duman Hill,Darritola Jn.
SER,BG,Bhandaridah,Rajabehra,Dugdawasrery,Jamuniatanr Halt
SER,BG,Amta,Bargachia Jn.,Chanpadanga
SER,NG,Saongi Jn.,Ramrama Tola
SER,NG,Ramakona,Kachchhidhana
SR,BG,Karuppur Jn.,Mechcheri Road,Mettur Dam
SR,BG,Mayiladuturai Jn.,Akkur,Tarangambadi
SR,BG,Alleppey,Punnapra,Ambalapuzha,Thakazhi,Karuvatta,Haripad,Cheppad,K
ayankulam Jn.
SR,MG,Chennai Beach,Chepauk,Luz
WR,BG,Bilimora Jn.,Bilimora Bunder
WR,BG,Daurai,Hatundi,Madar (avoiding Ajmer Jn.)
WR,BG,Dhrangadhra Jn.,Koda Salt Siding
WR,MG,Bairagarh,Sukhi Sewar
WR,MG,Dungar Jn.,Victor
WR,MG,Dabla Jn.,Singhena
WR,MG,Ghantla,Khakhrechi Jn.,Morbi Jn.
WR,MG,Kanalus Jn.,Sikka
WR,NG,Shapur Jn.,Manavadar,Saradiya
WR,NG,Jamnagar Jn.,Bedi Bandar
WR,NG,Ghantoli Jn.,Songir


Thanks in advance

Regards to all

Larry

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
Get free personalized email at
<A HREF="http://www.pathfindermail.com/member/login.page">http://www.pathfindermail.com/member/login.page</A>

From: lwebber <>

Subject: Re: Interesting info. from NR working TT

Date: 24 Sep 1999 09:25:24 -0500


Vijay said:

> 1. Five overtakes at the same station - from my July 1993 NR working
> time-table.
> The following may well be the largest number of overtakes of a train
at the
> same station :
> The 2AC Agra Cantt - Kanpur Central Passenger is overtaken by FIVE
express
> trains at Etawah.

Now if you had put in the word "scheduled" before "overtakes" - I'd be
very tempted to agree :)

I recall being on the Delhi-bound Punjab Mail many years ago (early
'70s, when it was a bit slower) at Mathura, where some fault had been
detected in one or more bogies. 'Brakes' was the generally accepted
reason. Instead of making a prompt decision to change the bogies -
assuming some were available - repairs were attempted in situ. There
was plenty of steam around (and no onward connection that night), so I
had no problem with the wait - but over five hours passed in total! If
by "overtaken" we mean passed by other Delhi-bound trains (from whatever
destination) which should have been behind us, the count was over 5
despite the reduced traffic in those days. As most passengers on the
Punjab were heading just for Delhi, most abandoned train and took
whatever came.
I stayed loyal ;)

Any luck with the other TTs, Vijay? TIA.


Regards to all

Larry

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
Get free personalized email at
<A HREF="http://www.pathfindermail.com/member/login.page">http://www.pathfindermail.com/member/login.page</A>

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Gauge Conversion List - How many Errors?

Date: 24 Sep 1999 09:29:34 -0500


Here is some information from the IR map of the July 1999 TAAG. It's
refreshing to see a big, colored map with nearly 100
tourist spots indicated. BG is shown in red, MG in blue and NG in
green.
Parallal MG-BG lines have been indicated with red 'n' blue lines.

All of the following are dual-gauge unless otherwise mentioned -

> NEFR,BG/MG,New Bongaigaon - Fakiragram Jn.
> NEFR,BG/MG,Mukuria - Barsoi Jn. - Alubari Road
> NER,BG/MG,Khagaria Jn. - Mansi Jn.
> NR,BG/MG,Suratgarh Jn. - Sarupsar Jn.
> NR,BG/MG,Delhi Sarai Rohilla - Garhi Harsaru Jn. - Rewari Jn. - Loharu
Jn.
> - Sadulpur Jn. - Churu Jn. - Ratangarh Jn. - Bikaner Jn.
>
Rewari - Bikaner is indicated as MG only.

> SCR,BG/MG,Guntur Jn. - Namburu
>
Only BG.

> SCR,BG/MG,Secunderabad Jn. - Jankampet Jn. - Mudkhed Jn. - Nanded
>
Secunderabad-Mudkhed shown as MG only. Mudkhed-Nanded is BG only.

> SCR,BG/MG,Mahbubnagar - Dronachellam Jn. - Donakonda
>
Only BG.

> SCR,BG/MG,Dharwad - Hubli Jn. - Gadag Jn. - Hospet Jn. - Tornagallu -
> Bellary Jn. - Guntakal Jn.
>
Only the Bellary-Guntakal portion is dual gauge.

> SER,BG/NG,Wadsa - Nagbhir Jn.
>
Only BG

> SR,BG/MG,Ponmalai Jn. - Thanjavur Jn. - Mayiladuturai Jn. - Cuddalore
Port
> Jn. - Villupuram Jn.
>
Only Ponmalai-Thanjavur is indicated as dual-gauge.

> SR,BG/MG,Tuticorin - Vanchi Maniyachi Jn.
>
Only BG

> SR,BG/MG,Tenkasi Jn. - Tirunelveli Jn. - Vanchi Maniyachi Jn. -
> Virudunagar Jn. - Madurai Jn. - Dindigul Jn.
>
Tenkasi-Tirunelveli is MG only. Tirunelveli-Madurai is BG only. Rest
is
dual.

> WR,BG/MG,Sabarmati Jn. - Kali Road - Khodiyar Jn. - Kalol Jn.
> WR,BG/MG,Ambliyasan Jn. - Mahesana Jn. - Palanpur Jn. - Marwar Jn. -
> Daurai - Ajmer Jn.
>
Dual gauge till Mahesana only. Rest is all BG.

> WR,BG/MG,Chanderiya - Chittaurgarh Jn. - Nimach
> WR,BG/MG,Samakhiali Jn. - Gandhidham Jn.
>
>
The ones that are shown in MG only are most probably works in progress.
The
ones shown in BG only are completed conversions.

Vijay

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Anyone have these Inter-Station Distances, please?

Date: 24 Sep 1999 09:58:58 -0500


Dug up a few 1988-90 TTs - NEFR, WR, NER, SR. Unfortunately, I could
not
find most of the lines. Here is some info.

> SR,BG,Karuppur Jn.,Mechcheri Road,Mettur Dam
>
Salem 12 Omalur 16 Mecheri Rd. Halt 13 Mettur Dam

> WR,MG,Ghantla 15 Khakhrechi Jn. 30 Morbi Jn. (do you want the
intermediate
> stations?)
>
>
Vijay

From: lwebber <>

Subject: Re: Gauge Conversion List - How many Errors?

Date: 24 Sep 1999 10:00:07 -0500


Subject:

Vijay said:
> Here is some information from the IR map of the July 1999 TAAG. It's
> refreshing to see a big, colored map with nearly 100
> tourist spots indicated. BG is shown in red, MG in blue and NG in
green.
> Parallal MG-BG lines have been indicated with red 'n' blue lines.


Excellent change, and thanks very much for the info. Only residual
queries are quoted:-


> All of the following are dual-gauge unless otherwise mentioned -

> > SCR,BG/MG,Dharwad - Hubli Jn. - Gadag Jn. - Hospet Jn. - Tornagallu
-
> > Bellary Jn. - Guntakal Jn.
>
> Only the Bellary-Guntakal portion is dual gauge.


And the rest is what gauge?


> > SR,BG/MG,Ponmalai Jn. - Thanjavur Jn. - Mayiladuturai Jn. -
Cuddalore Port
> > Jn. - Villupuram Jn.
>
> Only Ponmalai-Thanjavur is indicated as dual-gauge.


And the rest is what gauge?


> > SR,BG/MG,Tenkasi Jn. - Tirunelveli Jn. - Vanchi Maniyachi Jn. -
> > Virudunagar Jn. - Madurai Jn. - Dindigul Jn.
>
> Tenkasi-Tirunelveli is MG only. Tirunelveli-Madurai is BG only. Rest
is
> dual.

Rest as in Madurai Jn. - Dindigul Jn., obviously?


TIA


Regards to all

Larry

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
Get free personalized email at
<A HREF="http://www.pathfindermail.com/member/login.page">http://www.pathfindermail.com/member/login.page</A>

From: Jishnu Mukerji <>

Subject: Re: Gauge Conversion List - How many Errors?

Date: 24 Sep 1999 10:03:32 -0500


Vijay Balasubramanian wrote:

snip snip

> > NR,BG/MG,Delhi Sarai Rohilla - Garhi Harsaru Jn. - Rewari Jn. -
Loharu Jn.
> > - Sadulpur Jn. - Churu Jn. - Ratangarh Jn. - Bikaner Jn.
> >
> Rewari - Bikaner is indicated as MG only.

snip snip

> The ones that are shown in MG only are most probably works in
progress. The
> ones shown in BG only are completed conversions.

I doubt very much that Rewari - Bikaner via Loharu is under conversion.
I have
never heard of a plan to convert this line yet. It is a relatively low
traffic
line now, given that all direct Jodhpur traffic has been diverted via
Jaipur
over BG. We always used to joke that this line would be one of the last
to be
converted to BG in India.:-) Of course, any verified news to the
contrary would
be most welcome. I have very fond memories of this MG line.

Jishnu.

From: Shanku Niyogi <>

Subject: Interesting picture from The Statesman onlin

Date: 24 Sep 1999 10:18:14 -0500


The online version of the Calcutta-based "The Statesman" paper always
has
interesting pictures of the day, many of them transportation-related.
Check
out this one from the 15th, sure to end up in my image collection.

<A HREF="http://www.thestatesman.org/15091999/caption.html">http://www.thestatesman.org/15091999/caption.html</A>

For non-Bengalis, the phrase on the board says "Please do not commit
suicide
here".

From: Anand Krishnan <>

Subject: Re: how about some diesel driving

Date: 24 Sep 1999 10:18:48 -0500


Hi Joydeep,
Action packed account that was.....so much so that my monitor
turned a panel and my mouse a throttle lever !!!. Wow how good it would
be
if this really happens to me. Well i am just dreaming of a chance like
that.
Could'nt do more. But sire! what has happened to your "110 kmph to 0"
methodology that you promised to give long time back. Keep such
fascinating
stuff coming. I shall pray that u are logged on to your e-mail more
often

Kind regards,
Anand

>From: "Joydeep Dutta" <joydeepdutta@hotmail.email
>To: irfca@cs.email
>Subject: how about some diesel driving
>Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 01:35:15 PDT
>
>Sorry Gang
>I was quiet busy lately. Now I am back again to do what I promised you
>all---to deliver some notes on Diesel driving.
>
>The situation is the following.
>You are working an express with a WDM2 in shorthood facing(sometimes I
>prefer long hood) during daytime. You are working in a route where
there
>the
>signalling system is the 2-aspect conventional signalling system and
>ofcourse with semaphore signals. Mind you the situation is tough.
Whatever
>one may claim it is not so easy to view semaphore signals even by the
day
>time when working at speed.
>So the signal sequence that you will face as you approach a station
>is a follows.
>
>The most dangerous aspect of this system is that the first signal you
face
>in this sytem is a stop signal called the outer and a permissive signal
>which is a fish tailed one on the same post called the warner and then
the
>usual sequence
>of Home, starter and advanced starter. Let me not bog down to
signalling
>system and lets start the run.
>Our train will be vaccuum braked
>Suppose you have left one station and approaching the next. You have
just
>got the 2nd transistion jerk and with the throttle at the eighth notch
your
>speed is gradually increasing. If the train has a booked speed of 90
km/h
>allow the speed to pick up upto 100km/h and bring the throttle to the
sixth
>notch gradually. The speed will settle some where between 95km/h and
>100km/h. As you sight the signal sighting board the one with a yellow
>backgound and black stripes just ease the throttle gradually and bring
it
>to
>idle. Try to see whether the outer signal has been taken off. It will
be
>quiet difficult. If you cannot locate it once you have passed the
signal
>sighting board just bring the A-9 train brake handle to full service
>position and wait until the vaccuum level has dropped to 25cms and then
>gradually release A-9. You will find the speed has reduced to nearly 70
to
>65 km/h. By now you can definitely locate the signal. If you find both
the
>outer and warner has been taken off ---- then you shout double just to
see
>the correspondence from the assistant driver----and you know the the
block
>section till the next station is clear and you notch up gradually and
power
>through the stations. The reason why I asked you to drive at a speed
>slightly excess of the booked one since it helps to make up the time
that
>you lose due to poor visibility of the signals. Dont rely on your
>assistant.
>Suppose you find both the outer and warner are at danger then apply the
A-9
>to over reduction mode and drop the vaccuun level to 15cms of mercury
and
>you will see the speed smoothly dropping
>and as you are quiet near to the signal just apply the A-9 to the small
>reduction or full service position then the train will smoothly come to
>halt.
>In a vaccuum brake train be careful to see that the HS-4 pressure whose
>gauge is there on the shorthood control stand(it isnt on the longhood
>none)is always at 24 to 25 p.s.i. Dont tamper the HS-4 valve which is
there
>on the control stand below the MU-2B switch. This may lead to loss of
>brake
>power.
>If you find the outer is taken off and the warner is held at danger
then
>there can be many possibilities. You may be taken on the main line and
you
>might have to stop or stop on a loop line or pass via a loop line. In
such
>a
>case again bring the A-9 to the full service mode and aloow the vaccuum
>level to drop to 20cms ans then release it and the speed will come to
>nearly
>40km/h. If the home indicates that you are recieved on the main line
then
>be
>cool and pass the facing point at 40 km/h and if the starter is at
danger
>then just bring the A-9 to the small reduction position when you are
nearly
>half the distance from the starter to the facing point and then as you
>approach the starter bring the A-9 to the small reduction position and
the
>train will smoothly stop.
>In my next mail I will talk about what do do when recieved on the loop
>line.
>Bye
>Hope you all will enjoy it
>Joydeep
>
>
>______________________________________________________
>Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Gauge Conversion List - How many Errors?

Date: 24 Sep 1999 10:22:35 -0500


> > All of the following are dual-gauge unless otherwise mentioned -
>
> > > SCR,BG/MG,Dharwad - Hubli Jn. - Gadag Jn. - Hospet Jn. -
Tornagallu -
> > > Bellary Jn. - Guntakal Jn.
> >
> > Only the Bellary-Guntakal portion is dual gauge.
>
>
> And the rest is what gauge?
>
BG

> > > SR,BG/MG,Ponmalai Jn. - Thanjavur Jn. - Mayiladuturai Jn. -
Cuddalore
> Port
> > > Jn. - Villupuram Jn.
> >
> > Only Ponmalai-Thanjavur is indicated as dual-gauge.
>
>
> And the rest is what gauge?
>
MG


> > > SR,BG/MG,Tenkasi Jn. - Tirunelveli Jn. - Vanchi Maniyachi Jn. -
> > > Virudunagar Jn. - Madurai Jn. - Dindigul Jn.
> >
> > Tenkasi-Tirunelveli is MG only. Tirunelveli-Madurai is BG only.
Rest
> is
> > dual.
>
> Rest as in Madurai Jn. - Dindigul Jn., obviously?
>
That's correct!

Vijay

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Gauge Conversion List - How many Errors?

Date: 24 Sep 1999 10:29:04 -0500


I agree. There is not much to this line except that it provides a
shorter
route
between Delhi and Bikaner. Looks like Rewari-Ringus-Jaipur will remain
MG
as
well. So, we can expect the dual gauge to exist between Rewari-Delhi
Sarai
Rohilla
for a long time.

Vijay

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jishnu Mukerji [SMTP:jis@fpk.email
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 1:04 PM
> To: Vijay Balasubramanian
> Cc: 'lwebber@planetmail.email irfca@cs.email
> raymond/Polaris@polaris.email
> Subject: Re: Gauge Conversion List - How many Errors?
>
> Vijay Balasubramanian wrote:
>
> snip snip
>
> > > NR,BG/MG,Delhi Sarai Rohilla - Garhi Harsaru Jn. - Rewari Jn. -
Loharu
> Jn.
> > > - Sadulpur Jn. - Churu Jn. - Ratangarh Jn. - Bikaner Jn.
> > >
> > Rewari - Bikaner is indicated as MG only.
>
> snip snip
>
> > The ones that are shown in MG only are most probably works in
progress.
> The
> > ones shown in BG only are completed conversions.
>
> I doubt very much that Rewari - Bikaner via Loharu is under
conversion. I
> have
> never heard of a plan to convert this line yet. It is a relatively low
> traffic
> line now, given that all direct Jodhpur traffic has been diverted via
> Jaipur
> over BG. We always used to joke that this line would be one of the
last to
> be
> converted to BG in India.:-) Of course, any verified news to the
contrary
> would
> be most welcome. I have very fond memories of this MG line.
>
> Jishnu.

From: Shanku Niyogi <>

Subject: More interesting rail images from The Statesman

Date: 24 Sep 1999 10:39:43 -0500


Here are some more images from the Calcutta (I am NOT calling it
Kolkata!)
daily:

Aug 18 - military personnel on Jammu Tawi Express
<A HREF="http://www.thestatesman.org/18081999/caption.html">http://www.thestatesman.org/18081999/caption.html</A>

Aug 5 - parts missing from a fishplate near Howrah.
<A HREF="http://www.thestatesman.org/05081999/caption.html">http://www.thestatesman.org/05081999/caption.html</A>

Aug 4 - Gaisal disaster
<A HREF="http://www.thestatesman.org/04081999/caption.html">http://www.thestatesman.org/04081999/caption.html</A>

Aug 3 - Gaisal disaster - shows the blue and white coach discussed here
recently
<A HREF="http://www.thestatesman.org/03081999/caption.html">http://www.thestatesman.org/03081999/caption.html</A>

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: More interesting rail images from The Statesman

Date: 24 Sep 1999 11:30:11 -0500


> Aug 3 - Gaisal disaster - shows the blue and white coach discussed
here
> recently
> <A HREF="http://www.thestatesman.org/03081999/caption.html">http://www.thestatesman.org/03081999/caption.html</A>
>
Is this the livery that Anand and Rajan spotted on the Coromandel and
Narayanadri Exp.?
Is this the livery on the Dadar-Amritsar Exp. and a few other trains?
Seems
different from the
picture that Anand sent me.

Vijay

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: IR links

Date: 24 Sep 1999 11:58:00 -0500


<A HREF="http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jan/16gang.htm">http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jan/16gang.htm</A>
[a traveller's ordeal on the TVC Rajdhani Exp.]

<A HREF="http://sites.netscape.net/shantanusen/RAILWAYS.HTM">http://sites.netscape.net/shantanusen/RAILWAYS.HTM</A>
[Is Shatanu Sen on our mailing list?]

<A HREF="http://www.bmway.com/">http://www.bmway.com/</A>

<A HREF="http://www.chooseindia.com/tourism/railway.htm">http://www.chooseindia.com/tourism/railway.htm</A>

Vijay

From: S.SRINIVAS <>

Subject: Re: Interesting info. from NR working TT

Date: 24 Sep 1999 12:00:43 -0500


WELL HERE ARE MY COMMENTS ON THE
INTERESTING INFO. WILL BE THANKFUL
FOR FEEDBACK AND MORE INTERESTING
INFORMATION.

REGARDS. S. SRINIVAS


Vijay Balasubramanian wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> 1. Five overtakes at the same station - from my July 1993 NR working
> time-table.
>
> The following may well be the largest number of overtakes of a train
at the
> same station :
>
> The 2AC Agra Cantt - Kanpur Central Passenger is overtaken by FIVE
express
> trains at Etawah. It reaches Etawah at 9.00 and leaves at 11.10 - a
> whopping
> 2 hrs. and 10 mt. halt. Imagine traveling on this train and witnessing
five
> different trains go past you!! The overtakes are -
>
> 1. Shatabdi Exp. - passes ETW at 9.31
> 2. ADI-Gorakhpur Exp. - arr. 9.43, dep. 9.45
> 3. North East Exp. - arr. 10.24, dep. 10.26
> 4. Neelachal/NDLS-Puri Exp. - passes ETW at 10.41
> 5. Amritsar-Muri Exp. - arr.10.53, dep. 10.58
>
> I then looked at my Dec. 1998 Bradshaw and confirmed that all five
overtakes
> still exist - the times have changed slightly and the train is now the
> Tundla-Kanpur Passenger.
>

I AM QUITE SURE THAT SUCH A PASSENGER TRAIN WILL
GENERALLY RUN LATE. IT WILL BE OVERTAKEN BY THE
FIVE DIFFERENT TRAINS AT MORE THAN ONE STATION.
IT WILL BE RARE INDEED WHEN THIS SLOW PASSENGER
REACHES ETAWAH ON TIME AND THE FIVE OVERTAKES
OCCUR AT ETW.

> 2. Special boards for electrified sections
>
> a. Stop Board - "Electric Engines Stop" - provided normally on the
traction
> structure ahead of the point where the overhead wire terminates on a
> particular track.
>

ACTUALLY, THIS SIGN BOARD IS A JOKE. I HAVE SEEN THIS BOARD AT
MANY
PLACES AND I FOUND THE TRACK AS WELL
AS THE OHE TERMINATING AT A DEAD END. SO, THE CORRECT
SIGN SHOULD BE "ALL ENGINES STOP".


> b. Unwired Turnout Board - "Caution Unwired Turnouts" - provided at
places
> where unwired lines take off from wired lines.
>

THIS, OF COURSE, IS THE CORRECT SIGN BOARD.

> c. Lower Pantograh Board - This board on which a lowered pantograph
with an
> arrow pointing downward is painted on a white background is provided
250
> metres ahead of the place at which it is necessary to lower the panto.
>
> d. Raise Pantograph Board - place on a structure ahead of the point at
which
> it is necessary to raise the panto.
>

I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS KIND OF A SIGN BOARD. CAN ANYONE COMMENT
WHERE
SUCH A BOARD IS REQUIRED. IN THE LOCO
MTCE. SHED ? OR AT IGATPURI WHERE ALL DC/AC LOCOS STOP?

> e. Neutral Section Ahead Board - These boards are of two types, one
placed
> 500 metres aheadof the neutral section, bearing the legend 500 M and
another
> placed at 250 metres ahead on the neutral section bearing the legend
250 M.
> The driver of an elec. loco. should become alert at the 500 M board.
At the
> 250 M board, the master controller must be brought to zero and the
driver
> should be prepared to open the circuit breaker at the 'Switch Off'
> indication boards.
>
> f. Switch Off Indication Board - This shows two vertical lines, one
above
> the other, with a horizontal line between - fitted on the traction
structure
> immediately ahead of the neutral section.
>
> g. Switch On Indication Board - three vertical lines one above the
other.
>

THE ACTION ABOVE AT e, f AND g ARE ONLY REQUIRED AT THE NORTHERN
OUTER
SIGNAL OF VASAI ROAD WHEN
THE DRIVER HAS TO SWITCH OVER FROM DC TO AC (FOR
TRAINS RUNNING FROM MUMBAI TO SURAT) OR FROM
AC TO DC (FOR TRAINS RUNNING TOWARDS MUMBAI).
AT ALL OTHER PLACES, SUCH INDICATOR SIGNS EXIST
ONLY FOR INFORMATION TO THE DRIVER THAT HE IS
ABOUT TO PASS A "DEAD SECTION".

THE DRIVER IS CAUTIONED AGAINST STOPPING AT THE
DEAD SECTION OR THE NEUTRAL SECTION.

IN FACT, SHOULD THE TRAIN BE FORCED TO STOP FOR ANY
REASON AND SHOULD THE PANTO COME TO REST IN THE
DEAD SECTION, IT IS NOT A MAJOR PROBLEM. THE DEAD
SECTION IS GENERALLY ABOUT TEN FEET ONLY. THE TWO
PANTOS ON THE LOCO ARE SPACED MUCH MORE THAN
THAT. ALL THE DRIVER NEEDS TO DO IS TO LOWER THE
PANTO WHICH HAS COME TO REST IN THE DEAD SECTION
(GENERALLY THE TRAILING ONE), RAISE THE FRONT PANTO,
MOVE THE TRAIN FORWARD FOR A SHORT DISTANCE AND
THEN SWITCH OVER TO OPERATION OF THE TRAILING PANTO.
THE DRIVER AND THE TRAIN WILL LOSE ABOUT FIVE MINITUES
TIME IN THESE KIND OF SITUATIONS.

> h. Feeding Post Board - Boards similar to c. and d. above except that
the
> background colour is yellow instead of white. The yellow indicates
that the
> drivers do not normally lower the panto. on the feeding post unless
caution
> order is issued in advance.
>

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW UNDER WHAT SITUATIONS THE CAUTION ORDER TO
LOWER THE
PANTO IS ISSUED. JUST
FOR INFO ONLY.

> Vijay

From: S.SRINIVAS <>

Subject: Re: Sad news....

Date: 24 Sep 1999 12:00:58 -0500


DEAR SHRINIVAS

PLEASE CONVEY MY HEARTFELT CONDOLENCES
TO SAROSH. PLEASE ALSO TELL HIM THAT WE ALL
SHARE HIS GRIEF AND THAT HE SHOULD NOW BE
BRAVE AND FACE THE SITUATION. LIFE HAS ITS OWN
UPS AND DOWNS BUT ONE SHOULD ALWAYS LOOK
FORWARD.

NEXT VISIT TO MUMBAI, I WILL MEET
SAROSH, YOU AND VIRAF.

S. SRINIVAS
------------------------------
SHRINIVAS V. JOSHI wrote:

> Dear Father of our friend Sarosh Mehta expired yesterday morning.
Viraf is
> attending the funeral today.
>
> May the soul rest in peace.
>
> Shrinivas

From: Anne Ogborn <>

Subject: Re: Train songs!!

Date: 24 Sep 1999 12:17:24 -0500



Some years ago when I was first studying hindi I watched some
forgettable movie where the young couple sings their love while
riding atop a park train - much like the 'children's train' in the NRM.
Anybody have any idea what this movie was, or where the scene was shot?

I like 'park trains' , as I ran one as a high school student for pocket
money.

So, changing topics - can anyone recommend any fun 'park trains' in
India?

Annie

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Interesting info. from NR working TT

Date: 24 Sep 1999 12:32:07 -0500


Thanks for your comments, Srinivas.

> >
> > The 2AC Agra Cantt - Kanpur Central Passenger is overtaken by FIVE
> express
> > trains at Etawah. It reaches Etawah at 9.00 and leaves at 11.10 - a
> > whopping
> > 2 hrs. and 10 mt. halt. Imagine traveling on this train and
witnessing
> five
> > different trains go past you!! The overtakes are -
> >
> > 1. Shatabdi Exp. - passes ETW at 9.31
> > 2. ADI-Gorakhpur Exp. - arr. 9.43, dep. 9.45
> > 3. North East Exp. - arr. 10.24, dep. 10.26
> > 4. Neelachal/NDLS-Puri Exp. - passes ETW at 10.41
> > 5. Amritsar-Muri Exp. - arr.10.53, dep. 10.58
> >
> > I then looked at my Dec. 1998 Bradshaw and confirmed that all five
> overtakes
> > still exist - the times have changed slightly and the train is now
the
> > Tundla-Kanpur Passenger.
> >
>
> I AM QUITE SURE THAT SUCH A PASSENGER TRAIN WILL
> GENERALLY RUN LATE. IT WILL BE OVERTAKEN BY THE
> FIVE DIFFERENT TRAINS AT MORE THAN ONE STATION.
> IT WILL BE RARE INDEED WHEN THIS SLOW PASSENGER
> REACHES ETAWAH ON TIME AND THE FIVE OVERTAKES
> OCCUR AT ETW.
>
Passenger trains have recovery/make-up times as well, so their late
running
should
be an exception rather than the rule (am I being too idealistic?). If
such
a train does run late, then
some overtakes may occur at different station(s). However, if one or
more
of the overtaking trains are
running late then the Pass. can be allowed to leave early and the
overtake
scheduled at a station further down.
Sometimes, alternate times for precedence changes are indicated in
working
TTs.


> > 2. Special boards for electrified sections
> >
> > a. Stop Board - "Electric Engines Stop" - provided normally on the
> traction
> > structure ahead of the point where the overhead wire terminates on a
> > particular track.
> >
>
> ACTUALLY, THIS SIGN BOARD IS A JOKE. I HAVE SEEN THIS BOARD AT
MANY
> PLACES AND I FOUND THE TRACK AS WELL
> AS THE OHE TERMINATING AT A DEAD END. SO, THE CORRECT
> SIGN SHOULD BE "ALL ENGINES STOP".
>
True. But there are situations where such a board is applicable only to
electric locos, e.g., at stations signalling
the end of electric traction. Before the electrification of
Bhusaval-Itarsi, the OHE used to terminate just before the
Tapti bridge and such boards were placed on traction masts at that
point.


> > c. Lower Pantograh Board - This board on which a lowered pantograph
with
> an
> > arrow pointing downward is painted on a white background is provided
250
> > metres ahead of the place at which it is necessary to lower the
panto.
> >
> > d. Raise Pantograph Board - place on a structure ahead of the point
at
> which
> > it is necessary to raise the panto.
> >
>
> I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS KIND OF A SIGN BOARD. CAN ANYONE COMMENT
> WHERE
> SUCH A BOARD IS REQUIRED. IN THE LOCO
> MTCE. SHED ? OR AT IGATPURI WHERE ALL DC/AC LOCOS STOP?
>
Good question. The Virar - Vaitarna stretch is a candidate for such
boards
although I haven't personally seen them.
Where else would such boards be used?


> > e. Neutral Section Ahead Board - These boards are of two types, one
> placed
> > 500 metres aheadof the neutral section, bearing the legend 500 M and
> another
> > placed at 250 metres ahead on the neutral section bearing the legend
250
> M.
> > The driver of an elec. loco. should become alert at the 500 M board.
At
> the
> > 250 M board, the master controller must be brought to zero and the
> driver
> > should be prepared to open the circuit breaker at the 'Switch Off'
> > indication boards.
> >
> > f. Switch Off Indication Board - This shows two vertical lines, one
> above
> > the other, with a horizontal line between - fitted on the traction
> structure
> > immediately ahead of the neutral section.
> >
> > g. Switch On Indication Board - three vertical lines one above the
> other.
> >
>
> THE ACTION ABOVE AT e, f AND g ARE ONLY REQUIRED AT THE
NORTHERN
> OUTER
> SIGNAL OF VASAI ROAD WHEN
> THE DRIVER HAS TO SWITCH OVER FROM DC TO AC (FOR
> TRAINS RUNNING FROM MUMBAI TO SURAT) OR FROM
> AC TO DC (FOR TRAINS RUNNING TOWARDS MUMBAI).
> AT ALL OTHER PLACES, SUCH INDICATOR SIGNS EXIST
> ONLY FOR INFORMATION TO THE DRIVER THAT HE IS
> ABOUT TO PASS A "DEAD SECTION".
>
I presume you are referring to Virar and not Vasai Rd.


> > h. Feeding Post Board - Boards similar to c. and d. above except
that
> the
> > background colour is yellow instead of white. The yellow indicates
that
> the
> > drivers do not normally lower the panto. on the feeding post unless
> caution
> > order is issued in advance.
> >
>
> I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW UNDER WHAT SITUATIONS THE CAUTION ORDER TO
> LOWER THE
> PANTO IS ISSUED. JUST
> FOR INFO ONLY.
>
To quote from the working TT - According to ACTM 12.6, in case of
failure of
power from a feeding post and when emergency feeding is introduced from
the
adjacent sub-station, drivers have to lower their pantographs at the
feeding
post overlaps. In case of such an emergency feeding arrangement,
caution
order will be issued to the drivers of electric locos., mentioning the
feeding post insulated overlaps at which they should lower their pantos.

Could someone clarify what the above means? I have some questions
regaring
neutral sections, feeding posts and traction sub-stations.

1. As far as I know, neutral sections or 'dead' zones carry no current
and
are used to seperate two OHE sections powered from two different
sub-stations (and so would have a phase difference). In other words, a
'live' OHE section is marked by two neutral sections at either end and
is
fed by one sub-station. Where is this sub-station usually placed - in
the
middle of this live section? Or towards one end of the section near the
neutral zone?

2. Is a feeding post placed next to a sub-station solely for 'feeding'
in
the current to the OHE? If so, what happens during a power failure and
how
can another sub-station feed power? I am confused here!!

Vijay

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: CR suburban TT

Date: 24 Sep 1999 12:42:42 -0500


> Diva Panvel is doubled and electrified - this has been the case for a
year
> now.
> Catenaries are AC - which means that the change from DC to AC later
can be
> easily facilitated here.
> No EMU services on this line yet. DMU trains upto Roha (as per tt)
> operative.
> The DMU composition is not the normal way (with engine in the centre),
> rather the engine heading the train
>
> Rajan
>
Do the traction masts look similar to the ones on regular AC section?
At
present,
is there a way for WCAMx locos. to change between AC and DC, on the fly,
near Diva?
If so, then KR trains from Mumbai/Dadar/Kurla could be hauled by, say,
WCAM3
till Panvel
and then a WDM2/7 could take over.

Vijay

The content of the individual messages displayed here is subject to copyright by the original authors and may not be reproduced outside the context of IRFCA without permission.
Note: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways! The official web site of Indian Railways is: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in
Site contact: webmaster@irfca.org
Copyright © 2010, IRFCA.org. About IRFCA  Contact Us  Search this site  Site Map  Links   Acknowledgements  Legal Information & Disclaimers