Kanchrapara Workshop came into existence in 1863. This was set up by the then Assam Bengal Railway (later Bengal Assam Railway) and subsequently acquired by Eastern Bengal Railway Company as a combined Loco Carriage and Wagon Shops on the present site of loco shops. On 1st July, 1884, the management was taken over by the State (during the material period East India Company). On October 12, 1914 C & W Shops were shifted to the present site and started functioning separately as an independent unit. The workshop has the distinction of serving the defence department for repairs to Air craft and manufacture of armoured cars and grenade shells during world war II.
Apart from POH work the workshop also manufactured 78 nos. of Tower Cars between 1957 to 1986. and thereafter this activity was shifted to Jamalpur Workshops
The second 5-year plan brought about drastic changes with Diesel & Electric Traction. Electrification on the Railway system in the eastern region necessitated major repair & overhaul facilities for Electric Loco, EMU Rolling Stock from early 60ís. Kanchrapara was selected to play the key role in the both these spheres. As a result, there underwent a "Metamorphosis" unparallel by any other Railway in the country.
In 1962 a decision was taken for remodelling Kanchrapara Workshop in order to make it a base workshop for P.O.H. of Electric Loco & E.M.U. stock of Eastern & South Eastern Railway.
Area : 4,12,773 Sq.M. (Including C&W)
Staff strength : 12,249
No. of M&P : 1138
Main Activities : (a) POH of Electric Loco.
(b) POH of EMU Rolling Stock,
(c) POH of Conv. Coaches(Non-AC).MOG rakes
(d) A large number of components required for Electric
Locos, EMUs, Coaches and
Power consumed : 3400 KW.
Water supply : 75 Lakh Gallons/day.
Thanks for visiting this page
Divisions : Sealdah Howrah Asansol Maldah
Workshops : Jamalpur Liluah Kanchrapara