IRFCA Mailing List Archive

Messages 9461 - 9480

Previous 20 Messages          Archive Index          Next 20 Messages

From: Jishnu Mukerji <>

Subject: Re: Unknown train

Date: 11 Nov 1999 11:08:00 -0500


anand i.s. wrote:
>
> Hey Gourish,
>
> great pic chap. But you must give more details as to the locale, date
train
> etc if available; otherwise mention 'details not known'.
>
> If you details please provide.

Please do not post pictures in email messages. Some of us have disk
space
limitations and such on the machines where we receive these email
messages.
Others of us have bandwidth problems while on the road. Please place the
pictures on some web server and announce on email.

BTW, nice picture!

Thanks,

Jishnu.

From: Avinash Pandey <>

Subject: Who Am I?

Date: 11 Nov 1999 11:49:38 -0500



Well, this has been an intersting series. Here's my bio:

My name is Avinash, I am 27. I grew up in the heart of India
in Jabalpur (JBP), Madhya Pradesh watching CR trains. It was great
in those days when JBP had a thriving steam loco shed. Some
of them (WPs) were ornately decorated. The 3 Up/4 Down
(now 3003/3004) BBY-HWH Mail via Allahabad used to be
the most important train via JBP. The narrow gauge ride
to Gondia was (and still is) wondrous. JBP, until the mid eighties,
repetetively had the distinction of having the one of the cleanest
railway platforms. The railway importance of JBP has been on
the slide since then, until 1997 when the UF govt decided
to make JBP the divisional headquarters of the newly
proposed East Central Railway.

I received my Bachelor's education at IIT Kharagpur (KGP)
and that was really a feast for the rail fan in me. Numerous
trains (passenger as well as good) passed by the campus
(classrooms as well as dormitories/hostels) all day long and
one could see a plethora of locomotives (electric, diesel and
even steam locomotives!). KGP is a major SER junction,
(with lines towards Hwh, Puri, Jamshedpur and Midnapore)
has is a diesel loco shed, a huge marshalling yard and the
longest railway platform in the world!

After graduation I move to the US and now live in the San
Francisco Bay area in northern California. I would love to
meet IRFCA members/IR Fans in the vicinity. My favorite loco:
the WDM2, ofcourse!!! Other information about me can be found at:
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/shahjada/">http://www.geocities.com/shahjada/</A>

Avinash
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avinash Pandey ~ Phone: 650 607 3717
Oracle Corporation ~ Fax : 650 506 7800
500 Oracle Parkway 3OP7 ~ Email: apandey@us.email
Redwood Shores CA 94065 ~ URL : www.oracle.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Jishnu Mukerji <>

Subject: Who Am I?

Date: 11 Nov 1999 12:53:14 -0500


Carrying on with this nice thread:

I am Jishnu Mukerji, one of the almost original perpatrators of the
IRFCA list.
I guess I had rails in my genes, since my Grandfather worked as a
Permamnent Way
Inspector for BNR at various times stationed in Kharagpur, Titlagarh and
Calcutta. Ironically, through most of my stay in India, I lived in a
place that
did not even have a railways station - Pilani (Rajasthan). But still I
got to do
quite an amount of rail travel. My stomping grounds were the quaint MG
segments
Sadulpur - Loharu - Rewari - Delhi, and Loharu - Sikar - Jaipur those
days. Of
course there were the regular trips to Calcutta first on 81up/82Dn AC
Express,
then on 101up/102Dn Rajdhani Express. Before that I lived in Bhilai for
a few
years (57-60) when it was all unelectrified single line through Bhilai,
with
Bombay Mail, the only major train each day! I left India for the US in
1977 to
go to graduate school at Stony Brook on Long Island, the home of Long
Island
RailRoad, the busiest passenger railway inthe USA. After graduating from
Stony
Brook with a doctorate I joined Bell Labs and basically setteled down in
New
Jersey, working for several companies, the most recent being HP.

My interests are somewhat eclectic perhaps. I like modern high speed
trains more
than anything else (TGVs and Eurostars are my favorite), and yet my all
time
favorite is the WP. Of the diesels in India, I always liked the WDM4 a
lot. I am
eagerly looking forward to the introduction of the 150mph tilt-body
Acela
Express on the North East Corridor here in the USA. I also like mountain
railways of any gauge. My favorites are, DHR, Kalka-Simla,
Zermatt-Brig-Andermatt-Filisur-St. Moritz (the route of the Glacier
Express),
the Loetschberg-Simplon line and the St. Gottahrd line in Switxzerland,
and the
Denver-Salt Lake City Moffat Line in the USA, to name a few. In the area
of
modeling, my greatest interest is in modeling track layouts and
signalling
systems on the computer. My current favorite toy is a program called
Train
Dispatcher 2.0, which allows you to design your own track layout, enter
train
schedules and then control the whole mess in real time through upto 20x
real
time speeds. I would love to get my hands on track diagrams and
timetables for a
few juicy segments in India to model. My current favorite, self created
model is
that of the New York Hudson Tubes portal to Union Interlocking (Rahway)
segment
of the North East Corridor in the USA circa 2002 (i.e. after all the
currently
underway projects are completed. There is at least a one hour period in
this
model (5pm to 6pm) which is impossible to run any faster than in real
time, the
traffic is so dense. As some of you know, my other favorite is
travelling up in
high mountains and plateus around the Himalayas, and dream up mad
schemes for
building rediculously expensive railways through there.:-)

Anyway, I look forward to any opportunity to get together with fellow
IRFCA-ites. In the early days we did have a get together or two, one in
NJ and
another in Rochester NY. Since then the original group has pretty much
scatterred hither and yon, and we are in touch only through IRFCA.

Cheers,

Jishnu.

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Who Am I?

Date: 11 Nov 1999 13:19:18 -0500


>Anyway, I look forward to any opportunity to get together with fellow
>IRFCA-ites. In the early days we did have a get together or two, one in
NJ
>and
>another in Rochester NY. Since then the original group has pretty
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Poughkeepsie - at my residence, remember?

much
>scatterred hither and yon, and we are in touch only through IRFCA.

The first one way was at Aravind's place in NJ (he seems to have
disappeared
- probably has gone back to India) - besides Jishnu and myself, Dheeraj
and
Ajai Banerji were the attendees. We had so much fun!!! Ajai actually
flew
in from California. He was a timetable freak of the highest order :-).
His
present whereabouts are unknown - I did receive a letter from him about
a
couple of years back from Dehra Dun.

And the next one was at my place with Jishnu, Aravind and Siddhartha
Duttagupta (from Rochester). Siddhartha, where are you now-a-days?

>
>Cheers,
>
>Jishnu.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: Jishnu Mukerji <>

Subject: Re: Who Am I?

Date: 11 Nov 1999 13:41:22 -0500


Vijay Balasubramanian wrote:
>
> >Anyway, I look forward to any opportunity to get together with fellow
> >IRFCA-ites. In the early days we did have a get together or two, one
in NJ
> >and
> >another in Rochester NY. Since then the original group has pretty
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Poughkeepsie - at my residence, remember?
>
> much
> >scatterred hither and yon, and we are in touch only through IRFCA.

Yeah, right, we had one at your place in Pughkeepsie.

> The first one way was at Aravind's place in NJ (he seems to have
disappeared
> - probably has gone back to India) - besides Jishnu and myself,
Dheeraj and
> Ajai Banerji were the attendees. We had so much fun!!! Ajai actually
flew
> in from California. He was a timetable freak of the highest order
:-).

And our rail related outing was to go to Long Branch station to check
out the
new NJ Transit ALP-44 electric locomotives.

> His
> present whereabouts are unknown - I did receive a letter from him
about a
> couple of years back from Dehra Dun.
>
> And the next one was at my place with Jishnu, Aravind and Siddhartha
> Duttagupta (from Rochester). Siddhartha, where are you now-a-days?

Which one was the one where we had all those hours and hours of video
taken from
the loco of a train travelling between where was it Bhusaval to Kahndwa
or some
such?

Jishnu.

From: anand i.s. <>

Subject: Fw: From Gourish Chogle

Date: 11 Nov 1999 14:21:34 -0500





>From: Gourish Chogle <gourish@vsnl.email
>To: isawcm1@hotmail.email
>Subject: From Gourish Chogle
>Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:19:38 +0530
>
>hI FOLKS,

Unfortunately my friend has not mentioned the locale. I am getting in
touch
with him write now. A great pic., is it not ?

anand i.s.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: anand i.s. <>

Subject: Unknown train

Date: 11 Nov 1999 14:24:51 -0500


Hey Gourish,

great pic chap. But you must give more details as to the locale, date
train
etc if available; otherwise mention 'details not known'.

If you details please provide.

anand i.s.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: The Brabyns <>

Subject: Where are we?

Date: 11 Nov 1999 17:45:38 -0500


I didn't realise there were so many IR enthusiasts in the San Francisco
Bay Area! I live in Marin County, just north of SF. Perhaps we could all
meet sometime. I may not have many intelligent comments to make, being a
rank novice, but would love to hear more about Indian Railways from
fellow enthusiasts.

Cheers,
Trevor Brabyn

From: Anne Ogborn <>

Subject: Re: Where are we?

Date: 11 Nov 1999 22:09:33 -0500


The Brabyns wrote:
>
> I didn't realise there were so many IR enthusiasts in the San
Francisco
> Bay Area! I live in Marin County, just north of SF. Perhaps we could
all
> meet sometime. I may not have many intelligent comments to make, being
a
> rank novice, but would love to hear more about Indian Railways from
> fellow enthusiasts.
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor Brabyn

Oh, you mean get togather *again*???
We did it once! July 18, 1998.

<A HREF="http://www.netmagic.net/~anniepoo/irfc/meet.html">http://www.netmagic.net/~anniepoo/irfc/meet.html</A>

Shall we?

From: Shankar <>

Subject: IR snippets

Date: 11 Nov 1999 22:44:47 -0500


Hello,
Check out my latest site: IR snippets.

This is the url for my index page. Click on the url against 'ir
snippets' at the bottom of the list:

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Coast/9896/">http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Coast/9896/</A>

A few musings: nothing on this page is original except for the page
itself! What you see now is just the superstructure. The idea is to keep
adding snippets and clippings to the site and eventually convert it into
a monster site over the years.

This is my first site on xoom. They do not provide a simplified file
manager: you have to FTP all your files. I hope I will have no problems
in updating the page off and on.

On another note,thank you all very much for the enthusiastic support to
my superlinks site. I did not quite expect such a tremendous response.
I still have to add a couple of more links to it: I'm unable to open
Vijay's links doc due to some problems in MS Word on my home computer.I
hope to have the problem sorted out in a couple of days time.

One of the links (SER Nagpur divn) does not work. Geocities seems to be
having some problems with their HTML editor: it shows a blank screen
each time. I hope to repair this link shortly as well. In keeping with
the suggestion of Mr. Alok Bhatnagar of the IRAS, I have shown this as a
separate link: upgraded from the group coming under 'railway
electrification'.

Cheers.

Shankar

From: Anand Krishnan <>

Subject: Re: Unknown train

Date: 12 Nov 1999 00:46:01 -0500


Hi IS-saheb and the gang,
That snap is from Sundar's collection and was
taken
i think from Brindavan Exp. The freshly painted AJJ shed loco was
spotted
along with that formation on a siding on the MAS-SBC stretch.

regards,
Anand


>From: "anand i.s." <isawcm1@hotmail.email
>To: gourish@vsnl.email
>CC: irfca@cs.email
>Subject: Unknown train
>Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:24:51 IST
>
>Hey Gourish,
>
>great pic chap. But you must give more details as to the locale, date
train
>etc if available; otherwise mention 'details not known'.
>
>If you details please provide.
>
>anand i.s.
>
>______________________________________________________
>Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: Shankar <>

Subject: Who am I?

Date: 12 Nov 1999 05:48:32 -0500


Hello,
This 'who am I' thread is proving to be quite interesting. I was trying
to get Karthik Giddu's template to work, but with no luck.

Anyway, here goes:

I am S.Shankar, 40 years old and residing in Dubai. Actually, I live in
Sharjah, but work in Dubai. I'm married and have one son.
Although basically from Tamilnad, I'm settled in Poona. We have been
there since 1971. I work for Grand Stores, a major trading and
distribution company in the UAE as Assistant Manager in the
Luggage,Linen and Household Dept. Grand Stores are distributors for
major brands of luggage, perfumes, linen, photographic items and
apparel, such as Samsonite, Nikon, Fuji, Mamiya etc etc.

My love for trains has been in existence since my early childhood: my
grandfather's house was situated along the railway line in Madras, and
our entire household timetable used to be guided by all those wonderful
trains. I remember my uncles saying, exams are on, got to get up early,
as soon as Tuticorin Express passes by. I used to be scolded by my
grandfather as a kid: whats this, Madurai Parcel Passenger has also
gone, and you are still awake? Off to bed immediately!
And when it was not the expresses, then there were those cute mg emu
units zipping past. We used to wave to my grandparents as our train ran
past the house when we visited my other grandfather near Madurai! And
more than half the thrill of going to Madras to visit grandparents was
to sit by the window watching trains all day long.

We lived at Durgapur (near Calcutta) from 1960 to 1971, and the journey
to Madras used to involve one train to Howrah, and the Mail from thence
to Madras.

I started off by collecting books about trains. I had an enviable
collection. I used to also draw and paint pictures of trains, and used
to paint my own charts about the various types of engines, coaching
stock etc. Simultaneously, I used to maintain two scrapbooks: one for IR
and the other for overseas railways, knocking off images from all sorts
of sources: (with permission, of course!) I used to call it the
photographic museum of rail transport! Both my scrapbooks got stolen by
a cleaner in my flat as recently as 1995.

With acquisition of a camera, I began to combine my train hobby with
photograpy, snapping away pics of all that I used to paint as a student.
Unfortunately, a very strict, no-nonsense father who used to discourage
my pursuit of trains at every stage did not allow me to acquire good
equipment and take better pics. Notwithstanding, I used to be quite
proud of my achievements with the sort of primitive and agriculturally
simplistic equipment I used then.

My brother used to join me on my photo ventures: in fact, although I'm
elder to him by seven years, my initiation into photography was much
later. He was for a while my photographer.(both of us were kids!)

A sort of magic spell was cast upon me, and my love for trains was
re-inforced all the more when I first visited the Delhi rail museum in
1977.(My uncle used to live in Delhi then), and spotted the YCG/1 once
again, after a long gap of fifteen years! My throat choked, my heart
swelled, my eyes filled up. Nostalgia at its overpowering best.

My interest in trains has become more virulent ever since I moved to the
Gulf, as I'm totally starved of trains here. I spent the first eight
years of my life in the Gulf in Abu Dhabi. Due to being away from Indian
trains, which were an inseparable part of daily life, esp.for me when I
used to commute by local daily when in Bombay), not to mention my
childhood exposure to them, spotting even a pic of an Indian train was
like a homecoming for me. I was all out into looking for Indian train
pics and videos. My interest in foreign railways slowly began to wane.

I go quite overboard whenever I visit India now. Film and cameras are no
problem. I shoot anything between six and thirteen rolls of train pics
on each visit. My next visit to India is due in July 2000. Hopefully, my
brother will be there again, having returned to India from Kuwait.
Couple that to my meeting Apurva and Harsh, I think I'll do more than
thirteen!!
There is no disputing that fact that in the light of all this, the irfca
was the best thing to happen to me. I feel right at home, while talking
and discussing the IR. I've made several intimate and close friendships
here. I hope I'll soon be able to discuss Indian trains face to face
with Vijay in the US, or John Lacey in Australia in the near future!

Thank you all, thank you irfca, and long live the IR.

Cheers.

Shankar

From: ranand <>

Subject: SR MG stories

Date: 12 Nov 1999 06:36:09 -0500


>grandfather as a kid: whats this, Madurai Parcel Passenger has also
>gone, and you are still awake? Off to bed immediately!

This reminded me of my father's stories of how he and my uncle would
travel
overnight to
Pondicherry from Madras in the 1940s. They would take Madurai parcel
passenger to
Villupuram and then sleep a few hours in the retiring room and eat a
watery
upma on the platform.
To this day, my father insists that he has never eaten a better upma.
Finally at dawn, they
would take the passenger to Pondicherry and pass through customs!! I
wonder if many remember
that we had customs posts on the lines to both Goa and Pondicherry.

On my 1975 trip from Kumbakonam to Madras Egmore by Cholan express, we
travelled
by unreserved so the only seat that we could get was in the
second/luggage
van right
next to the engine. I still have great memories of that trip, listening
to
the snarl of the YDM4
and ample smoke as we travelled through the TN countryside.

When we left Kumbakonam, five people were sitting on the bench. The
woman
sitting at the
window had a small child (sans diaper!). The child soon peed on the
seat,
resulting in
a little pool of urine. Each time the train went around a curve, the
pool
of urine crept a little
further and one more person had to get up!! I wound up sitting in the
window which did not
have any bars.

R. Anand

Internet: anand@watson.email
External tel: (914) 784 7054
Notes: Rangachari Anand/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Tie-line: 863 7054

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: IR snippets

Date: 12 Nov 1999 08:44:19 -0500


Good stuff, Shankar. Your picture of the first WAG5 - Nouvion - appears
in
a CLW calendar (in
full blown version) which is one of my prized possessions. I have two
priceless CLW calendars (given to me
by guess who?!) which have glossy pictures of all kinds of electric
locos. -
including shots of DQ, Rajdhani, Taj,
multiple WAM4Bs in the Kottavalasa-Kirandul section, etc. If and when I
get
hold of a scanner, I'll try to scan these
in.

Vijay

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shankar [SMTP:shankie@emirates.email
> Sent: Friday, November 12, 1999 1:45 AM
> To: irfca@cs.email
> Cc: irasmumbai@yahoo.email haridshankar@hotmail.email
> vijaydeepa@excite.email adcbcc01@emirates.email
> Subject: IR snippets
>
> Hello,
> Check out my latest site: IR snippets.
>
> This is the url for my index page. Click on the url against 'ir
> snippets' at the bottom of the list:
>
> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Coast/9896/">http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Coast/9896/</A>
>
> A few musings: nothing on this page is original except for the page
> itself! What you see now is just the superstructure. The idea is to
keep
> adding snippets and clippings to the site and eventually convert it
into
> a monster site over the years.
>
> This is my first site on xoom. They do not provide a simplified file
> manager: you have to FTP all your files. I hope I will have no
problems
> in updating the page off and on.
>
> On another note,thank you all very much for the enthusiastic support
to
> my superlinks site. I did not quite expect such a tremendous response.
> I still have to add a couple of more links to it: I'm unable to open
> Vijay's links doc due to some problems in MS Word on my home
computer.I
> hope to have the problem sorted out in a couple of days time.
>
> One of the links (SER Nagpur divn) does not work. Geocities seems to
be
> having some problems with their HTML editor: it shows a blank screen
> each time. I hope to repair this link shortly as well. In keeping with
> the suggestion of Mr. Alok Bhatnagar of the IRAS, I have shown this as
a
> separate link: upgraded from the group coming under 'railway
> electrification'.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Shankar

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Who Am I?

Date: 12 Nov 1999 09:05:16 -0500


> > The first one way was at Aravind's place in NJ (he seems to have
> disappeared
> > - probably has gone back to India) - besides Jishnu and myself,
Dheeraj
> and
> > Ajai Banerji were the attendees. We had so much fun!!! Ajai
actually
> flew
> > in from California. He was a timetable freak of the highest order
:-).
>
> And our rail related outing was to go to Long Branch station to check
out
> the
> new NJ Transit ALP-44 electric locomotives.
>
That's correct. I have a few snaps from that trip.


> Which one was the one where we had all those hours and hours of video
> taken from
> the loco of a train travelling between where was it Bhusaval to
Kahndwa or
> some
> such?
>
This was taken during my 'wedding' trip to India in summer of 1992.
Once
again my uncle was
gracious enough to arrange for a footplating trip from Manmad to
Khandwa.
We were on the Mahanagri Exp.
heading towards Varanasi. I was supposed to get down at Manmad and
proceed
to the loco. where I would
be escorted inside. Due to some accident, our train got delayed for a
couple of hours between Nasik and Manmad.
Sleep got the better of me and I dozed off after Lasalgaon only to be
woken
by our Mr. Inspector who had to come inside the AC 2-tier coach to find
me.
That was a memorable trip indeed.

My craze for video-taping was so intense during that year (it's the
first
time I had a chance to use a camcorder instead of a
camera) that I stayed up all night during our honeymoon trip from Madras
to
Kodaikkanal on the Pandyan Exp. to snap-up single line crossings and the
like. Who can beat that?! Of course, it's the last time I would ever
capture MG action on the
prestigious Chennai-Madurai trunk route.

Vijay

> Jishnu.

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Indore-Dehradun new service

Date: 12 Nov 1999 09:10:21 -0500


Isn't this just an extension of the present Indore-Gwalior Exp.? Or it
is a
new train
that shares schedules with the former between Indore and Gwalior? What
is
the route
adopted beyond Gwalior - Agra-Delhi-Saharanpur-D.Dun?

Vijay

> -----Original Message-----
> From: anand i.s. [SMTP:isawcm1@hotmail.email
> Sent: Friday, November 12, 1999 5:06 PM
> To: irfca@cs.email
> Subject: Indore-Dehradun new service
>
> Hi folks hear, hear,
>
> WR has introduced new service as per :-
>
> 1. Biweekly. Indore dep. Saturdays & Sundays 15.00hrs and arr.D>Dun
> 18.35hrs., next day.
>
> 2. D.Dun dep. Fridays & Saturdays 6.00hrs aand arr. Indore
> 8.40hrs, next day.
>
> 3. Acco.:- One AC 2nd.,6 sleepers, 6 general class.
>
> 4. Halts:- Dewas, Ujjain, Maksi, Shajapur, Biyavara-Rajgadh,Ruthiyai
> Guna, Shivpuri, & Gwalior.
>
>
> anand is.
>
> ______________________________________________________
> Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: Shankar <>

Subject: Re: IR snippets

Date: 12 Nov 1999 09:16:33 -0500


Hello,
Thank you very much: I shall eagerly look forward to that.

Actually, despite the getup, I was quite disappointed with the quality
of images in the snippets site. The images I'd uploaded as of a much
better quality, in fact, several of them do not look as though they have
been scanned from books and magazines at all.

SOme of these free webspace providers do what one of them calles a GIF
lube: reduce the number of colors in the image without (they say)
reducing the quality of the image. Xoom seem to have overdone the lube
bit. Many of the images look ugly and grainy. I've scanned them to 500
dpi. I think the next time, I shall scan them to 750 dpi, so that even
after a GIF lube, they still look acceptable.

That might of course lead to another problem: barring good old Tripod
and Geocities, some sites do not accept images over 100-200K. THis
snippets site was originally uploaded on dreamwater.com. I had to
withdraw it from there (and send a cancellation request) as they do not
accept images over 100 KB.

I'm forever running short of space.I'm already premium member in both
Geocities and Tripod. I had hoped xoom is the end, as they offer
unlimited space. But the excess GIF lube makes me wonder.

I still have unlimited space on spree.com. They do not allow images over
200 K.

Thanks for the support and encouragement. I'll add the couple of
additional links from your document the moment I fix the MS Word on my
home computer.

Cheers.

Shankar




Vijay Balasubramanian wrote:
>
> Good stuff, Shankar. Your picture of the first WAG5 - Nouvion -
appears in
> a CLW calendar (in
> full blown version) which is one of my prized possessions. I have two
> priceless CLW calendars (given to me
> by guess who?!) which have glossy pictures of all kinds of electric
locos. -
> including shots of DQ, Rajdhani, Taj,
> multiple WAM4Bs in the Kottavalasa-Kirandul section, etc. If and when
I get
> hold of a scanner, I'll try to scan these
> in.
>
> Vijay
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Shankar [SMTP:shankie@emirates.email
> > Sent: Friday, November 12, 1999 1:45 AM
> > To: irfca@cs.email
> > Cc: irasmumbai@yahoo.email haridshankar@hotmail.email
> > vijaydeepa@excite.email adcbcc01@emirates.email
> > Subject: IR snippets
> >
> > Hello,
> > Check out my latest site: IR snippets.
> >
> > This is the url for my index page. Click on the url against 'ir
> > snippets' at the bottom of the list:
> >
> > <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Coast/9896/">http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Coast/9896/</A>
> >
> > A few musings: nothing on this page is original except for the page
> > itself! What you see now is just the superstructure. The idea is to
keep
> > adding snippets and clippings to the site and eventually convert it
into
> > a monster site over the years.
> >
> > This is my first site on xoom. They do not provide a simplified file
> > manager: you have to FTP all your files. I hope I will have no
problems
> > in updating the page off and on.
> >
> > On another note,thank you all very much for the enthusiastic support
to
> > my superlinks site. I did not quite expect such a tremendous
response.
> > I still have to add a couple of more links to it: I'm unable to open
> > Vijay's links doc due to some problems in MS Word on my home
computer.I
> > hope to have the problem sorted out in a couple of days time.
> >
> > One of the links (SER Nagpur divn) does not work. Geocities seems to
be
> > having some problems with their HTML editor: it shows a blank screen
> > each time. I hope to repair this link shortly as well. In keeping
with
> > the suggestion of Mr. Alok Bhatnagar of the IRAS, I have shown this
as a
> > separate link: upgraded from the group coming under 'railway
> > electrification'.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Shankar

From: Karthik Giddu <>

Subject: Registration Who and where i am.

Date: 12 Nov 1999 10:12:45 -0500


Hello Gang members,
I think my ISP server's went down when I gave registration URL last
time.
Please try again. I am developing a search page for the same. If the
response is good then I shall put the page up.
Also pls suggest on what condition the search should be based on.

To reach the registration page:
1. go to <A HREF="http://gidduk.webhostme.com/">http://gidduk.webhostme.com/</A>
2. Click IRFCA members regsiter here ling(in the middle portion of the
page)

Thanks,
Karthik
<A HREF="http://gidduk.webhostme.com/">http://gidduk.webhostme.com/</A>
+91-22-8014919

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Need railfanning tips

Date: 12 Nov 1999 10:21:52 -0500


Folks,

Am eagerly looking forward to my forthcoming India trip since I plan
to
engage in quite a bit of IR travel. This is the first time I would be
traveling with my daughter and forays to the door may be less frequent
that
I would like it to be. So I am hoping that the windows on my AC coaches
would not be translucent :-( Plan to extensively use my camcorder (do
I
really need to have official permission?). I definitely want to
capture as
many unique liveries as possible. What are the unique-liveried trains
on
the following sections that I can look forward to - Panvel-Nagercoil,
Tirunelveli-Egmore, Chennai-Howrah, Howrah-Mughalsarai and
Mughalsarai-Kurla? Of course, I am aware of certain liveries such as
Dark+Light Blue on quite a few trains, Light Blue with red(?) stripes on
the
Mumbai-Madgaon Exp. In addition, I would appreciate any other
interesting
info. about these routes such as junction points, station yard layouts,
loco
sheds, scenic stretches, etc. - along the lines of what Rajan described.

Since we could not get confirmed berths on the Kanyakumari-Chennai Exp.
(AC
2 tier), I have opted to catch the Nellai Exp. at Tirunelveli and
proceed to
Chennai. Is the Kanyakumari Exp. the ONLY train to be hauled by a WDP2?
If
so, I'll be missing out on WDP2 action. Oh well, some other time.

Thanks,
Vijay

From: S.SRINIVAS <>

Subject: Re: Registration - WHo we are.

Date: 12 Nov 1999 10:23:51 -0500


Dear Karthik

I think your assistance in this task will be greatly welcome
and appreciated by all members. Thanks.

S. Srinivas

==================================

Karthik Giddu wrote:

> Hi Gang,
> Today's hot topic is 'who we are'. For the same, I though sending
email
> about himself/herself will be difficult to maintain in the long run. I
have
> designed a database for keeping member information.(like a telephone
> directory). U register there with all the details. I store the same in
a
> database so that any IRFCA members can go thru it anytime.
>
> To reach the page:
> 1. go to <A HREF="http://gidduk.webhostme.com/">http://gidduk.webhostme.com/</A>
> 2. Click IRFCA members regsiter here.
>
> I will soon write search engine for the same, information can be
retrieved
> based on the name, city, country etc.
>
> Your feedback is eagerly awaited.
>
> Bye,
> Karthik
>
> <A HREF="http://gidduk.webhostme.com/">http://gidduk.webhostme.com/</A>
> +91-22-8014919

The content of the individual messages displayed here is subject to copyright by the original authors and may not be reproduced outside the context of IRFCA without permission.
Note: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways! The official web site of Indian Railways is: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in
Site contact: webmaster@irfca.org
Copyright © 2010, IRFCA.org. About IRFCA  Contact Us  Search this site  Site Map  Links   Acknowledgements  Legal Information & Disclaimers