IRFCA Mailing List Archive

Messages 8861 - 8880

Previous 20 Messages          Archive Index          Next 20 Messages

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: [Fwd: R: Steam in Wankaneer

Date: 04 Oct 1999 11:18:52 -0500


Gang !

What is the latest that we can tell our Italian friends ? That he needs
a Photographic
permit from WR PRO in Mumbai ? Can a similar permission got from Delhi
in case he land
there ?

Apurva

From: Shanku Niyogi <>

Subject: Info on WAP1

Date: 04 Oct 1999 12:30:54 -0500


Folks,

I need some information about the WAP1 - specifically, I need to know
what
some of the parts visible on the WAP1 are. I'm not very well acquainted
with
electric locomotive technology, and haven't had much of a chance to
observe
a WAP1 from close up (I did see a WAP6, which had some of these parts
missing).

Here are the things I need clarification about. I have a good guess
about
some of these, but it's probably good to clarify anyway:

- the pair of vertical columns of three objects each on the face of the
loco
(why don't WAP4s have these?)
- the pair of vertical columns of two circular objects just below the
windshield
- the hoses beside the headlight
- the lights on the side, by the window - what kind of lights are these?
- the object mounted on the front of the cab roof (beside the horn)
- the square slots on the sidebody, below the window but near the
bottom.
- a pair of similar slots at the middle of the body (WAP4s don't seem to
have these)

Thanks,
Shanku

From: Ijsvogel <>

Subject: Fw: Information required

Date: 04 Oct 1999 13:14:50 -0500


 
-----Original Message-----
From: Ijsvogel < Ijsvogel@village.email <mailto:Ijsvogel@village.email
To: irfca-request@cs.email <mailto:irfca-request@cs.email < irfca-request@cs.email <mailto:irfca-request@cs.email
Date: lundi 4 octobre 1999 22:13
Subject: Information required


Hello Railway-lovers,
 
Can somebody please help me find some timetables and prices for the Delhi to Jaipur line;
the Jaipur to Ajmer line, the Jaipur to Sawai Madhopur line, and the Agra to Delhi line for November forthcoming?
Thanks very much in advance!!!
Marc DE MAEGDT,

From: Gerard Lovelock <>

Subject: Re: Information required

Date: 04 Oct 1999 15:23:24 -0500


Marc from Belgium wrote:
 

 
Hello Railway-lovers,
 
Can somebody please help me find some timetables and prices for the Delhi to Jaipur line;
the Jaipur to Ajmer line, the Jaipur to Sawai Madhopur line, and the Agra to Delhi line for November forthcoming?
Thanks very much in advance!!!
Marc DE MAEGDT,
Belgium.
 
 
Here are some sites that allow routes to be planned from an Indian Railway timetable
<<A HREF="http://businesstourism.com/>">http://businesstourism.com/></A>
<<A HREF="http://www.india-travel.com/table.htm>">http://www.india-travel.com/table.htm></A>
<<A HREF="http://www.indianrailway.com/railway/index1.htm>">http://www.indianrailway.com/railway/index1.htm></A>
Don't know about prices though.
Best of luck
Let me know how you get on!
Cheers, Ged.
 
 

From: John Lacey <>

Subject: India's other rack

Date: 05 Oct 1999 00:00:09 -0500


> >India once had TWO rack railways: the Nilgiri mg one
> >in the south, and a bg one near the Khyber (or is it
> >Bolan) pass in the NW. The latter passed on to
> >Pakistan.
>
> Can you throw some more light on this one please?
>
> Harsh

Re Bolan Pass rack Railway, summary from PSA Berridge, Couplings to the
Khyber,1969:

In April 1885 construction of a BG line started from Rindli to Quetta
via the Bolan Pass. By November Hirok, 50 miles was reached, after
great difficulty. At the same time a " temporary" metre gauge line was
being constructed through the upper Bolan, followed by BG over the last
( relatively flat) 25 miles to Quetta. The MG had 1 in 23 grades and
200ft radius curves, worked by double-ended Fairlies.
In 1888 a new BG line was built to replace the MG on easier curves but
the same grades. This line, including one short tunnel and several
girder bridges, had the Abt rack locos ( two 0-6-2 Tanks built in 1887),
but the bridges in the Dozan Gorge were washed away in the floods of
1889. The railway was repaired and trains ran again for a few months,
but the floods were even more devestating in 1890-" The bridges were so
completely destroyed that no trace of the girders remained. The floods
of 1890 settled the fate of the so-called high level line through Bolan,
as well as the railway in the river-bed above Rindli." (p 167)
The replacement line, completed in 1895, left the Rindli line to follow
the former route at a much higher and safer level through the Dozan
Gorge to Kolpur.

The two Abt locos were ISR 1 and 2 and " when a new line on an easier
gradient was completed, these engines were converted into shunters."
( H.Hughes, Indian locomotives Part One , p 85).

John Lacey

From: shankar s. <>

Subject: Photography and Video Tips

Date: 05 Oct 1999 00:01:49 -0500


Hello,

We have discussed this issue in the past. Dr. Walker even called them
'idiot restrictions'.
Here is something interesting I came across while browsing. Although
primarily an American railfan site, some of the tips are quite good,
worth emulating.

Cheers.

Shankar

<A HREF="http://www.trainweb.org/moderndiesels/phototips.htm">http://www.trainweb.org/moderndiesels/phototips.htm</A>

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: HOT NEWS --- SCR COMMENCES PASSENGER OPERATIONS OVER BRAGANZA GHAT

Date: 05 Oct 1999 00:11:08 -0500


Dear Rajan,

This really is hot news. This is indeed the train that connects to the Goa Express. Today's TOI carries the news item about the opening of the Briganza ghat for the passenger traffic. The problem is that there still are no catch sidings. The commissioner of safety is quite adamant that passenger rakes cannot be allowed in the ghat section without catch sidings. So the SCR has a unique safety device that brakes the locomotive in the event of the speeds exceeding 40 kmph. The news further states that 200 coaches would be fitted with the specially modified brake system.
What the safety system would do in case of missing brake blocks etc. is yet to be explained. But the system has been tested for engine shutdown in the ghat section, parting of coupling or brake pipe. Successful trial have been taken for 18 coach rakes (read passenger and B grade express rakes).
So till the time some other action is taken, I guess the BG passengers from the rest of the country would have to terminate at Londa and the special rakes would take the passengers to Madgaon and Vasco. This is BG trans shipment to BG across the Londa platform ! Quite unique.

This passenger link would solve a lot of problems for me during my visit to Goa during Nov. I am booked to return to Pune on the Goa express and was dreading the bus journey from Panaji/ Madgaon to Londa. I am almost tempted to cancel the journey towards Goa from Mumbai on the Mandovi Express (ex CSTM at 0515 hrs) and go on the Nizamuddin - Londa Goa express, taking the 7317 Down to Madgaon.

Apurva

To: Sarosh Bhai (who is holidaying in Goa during the same time of my trip) , forget going back to Mumbai on the Mandovi Exp.,  use this link instead and return to CSTM via Pune.

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: Info on WAP1

Date: 05 Oct 1999 00:31:29 -0500


Shanku - please refer or post a picture (s) of the locos (WAP 1 and WAP
4) with
help of which we should carry on the discussion. I am quite sure of what
items
you are talking about, only if you point it out with reference to a
picture,
then we would talk the same language. Waiting to jump into a discussion
:-)

Apurva

Shanku Niyogi wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I need some information about the WAP1 - specifically, I need to know
what
> some of the parts visible on the WAP1 are. I'm not very well
acquainted with
> electric locomotive technology, and haven't had much of a chance to
observe
> a WAP1 from close up (I did see a WAP6, which had some of these parts
> missing).
>
> Here are the things I need clarification about. I have a good guess
about
> some of these, but it's probably good to clarify anyway:
>
> - the pair of vertical columns of three objects each on the face of
the loco
> (why don't WAP4s have these?)
> - the pair of vertical columns of two circular objects just below the
> windshield
> - the hoses beside the headlight
> - the lights on the side, by the window - what kind of lights are
these?
> - the object mounted on the front of the cab roof (beside the horn)
> - the square slots on the sidebody, below the window but near the
bottom.
> - a pair of similar slots at the middle of the body (WAP4s don't seem
to
> have these)
>
> Thanks,
> Shanku

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: India's other rack

Date: 05 Oct 1999 00:36:56 -0500


I also remember a old picture (I think in MG Satow's Relics of the Raj)
of a
winch / chain hauled section over a steep mountain ghat.

Apurva

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: India's other rack

Date: 05 Oct 1999 00:36:56 -0500


I also remember a old picture (I think in MG Satow's Relics of the Raj)
of a
winch / chain hauled section over a steep mountain ghat.

Apurva

From: shankar s. <>

Subject: Re: pakistan railway website

Date: 05 Oct 1999 02:32:32 -0500




--- HVC <hvc@vsnl.email wrote:

Hello Harsh,

To answer your question about the bg rack line on the
NWR, here is an excerpt of a reply I'd received from
our fellow member John Lacey, which should explain
your query:

Dear Shankar,
The BG rack line was a temporary one on the Bolan
Pass, and was
replaced
by a line on an easier gradient. Two 0-6-2 Abt Tanks
were constructed
in 1887, and were converted to shunters ( after 2
years? I think there
is something about this line in Railways of the Raj,
but I don't have a
copy. There is probably more in PSA Berridge's
Couplings to the Khyber
{ in case you have not read it, it is more a history
of the NWR ,
especially the bridges and engineering, despite the
title,} but again,
I
don't have a copy).

Cheers.

Shankar
>
> >India once had TWO rack railways: the Nilgiri mg
> one
> >in the south, and a bg one near the Khyber (or is
> it
> >Bolan) pass in the NW. The latter passed on to
> >Pakistan.
>
> Can you throw some more light on this one please?
>
> Harsh
>
>


=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Bid and sell for free at <A HREF="http://auctions.yahoo.com">http://auctions.yahoo.com</A>

From: HVC <>

Subject: Re: [Fwd: R: Steam in Wankaneer]

Date: 05 Oct 1999 02:37:32 -0500


Apurva,
If one is a seasoned traveller and has tasted IR(and RPF of
course), I don't think there is any special need for a permit for just
going
to Wankaner/Morbi etc. Still if one has a spare day in Delhi / Bombay,
it
will be worthwhile to go to PR office(310, 3rd Floor, Rail Bhawan) and
get
the permit. A couple of hours job at the most! I would think that CPRO
office at WR HQ in Bombay is equally hospitable.

I hope that WR doesn't get that contraption of the railbus working on
this
route before you get there. That will certainly be the final blow to
steam
in India. Keep an eye on Rob Dickinson's website.

All the best!

Harsh

P.S. No other regular working steam anywhere else except Darjeeling(???)
and
Nilgiris. On wednesdays in Delhi, one can see YGs in action on the Royal
Orient till April. Fairy Queen on Saturdays and Sundays(alternate) from
November to February. One can go to Saraya Sugar Mills and Hathua in the
winters(uncertain) although I doubt how much can one manage in just six
days!


-----Original Message-----
From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@vsnl.email
To: IRFCA <irfca@cs.email Emma & Pietro <emma.pietro@flashnet.email
MULLA, VIRAF P.. <sncf@godrej.email Vardhan, Harsh <hvc@vsnl.email
Date: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 10:26 AM
Subject: [Fwd: R: Steam in Wankaneer]


>Gang !
>
>What is the latest that we can tell our Italian friends ? That he needs
a
Photographic
>permit from WR PRO in Mumbai ? Can a similar permission got from Delhi
in
case he land
>there ?
>
>Apurva
>

From: shankar s. <>

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Info on WAP1]

Date: 05 Oct 1999 05:36:33 -0500



Hello,
I'm hardly an electric engine technician myself, nor
an engineer, but here are my two bits worth:

READ CAPITALS BELOW EACH QUESTION

For ease of reference, here is a close-up of a WAP/1
from my ac unleashed!!! site:

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Coast/9896/wap1blr.jpg">http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Coast/9896/wap1blr.jpg</A>



--- "S.Shankar" <shankie@emirates.email wrote:


> ATTACHMENT part TEXT message/rfc822
> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 12:30:54 -0700
> From: Shanku Niyogi <shankun@microsoft.email
> Subject: Info on WAP1
> To: "'irfca@cs.email <irfca@cs.email
>
> Folks,
>
> I need some information about the WAP1 -
> specifically, I need to know what
> some of the parts visible on the WAP1 are. I'm not
> very well acquainted with
> electric locomotive technology, and haven't had much
> of a chance to observe
> a WAP1 from close up (I did see a WAP6, which had
> some of these parts
> missing).
>
> Here are the things I need clarification about. I
> have a good guess about
> some of these, but it's probably good to clarify
> anyway:
>
> - the pair of vertical columns of three objects each
> on the face of the loco
> (why don't WAP4s have these?)

I GUESS THESE ARE THE MULTIPLE UNIT CABLES, CONCEALED
SO AS TO NOT INTERFERE TO WITH THE STREAMLINING. I
HAVE NEVER SEEN WAP/1S COUPLED IN MULTIPLE, THOUGH.

> - the pair of vertical columns of two circular
> objects just below the
> windshield

I DO NOT KNOW. ANYONE ELSE? A TERMINAL OF SOME SORT, I
THINK.

> - the hoses beside the headlight

THE TAP CHANGER ASSEMBLY. (DON'T ASK ME WHAT THAT
MEANS.)THESE HOSES ARE COUPLED TOO, WHILE COUPLING
ENGINES IN MULTIPLE. EVEN FLAT FACED ENGINES LIKE THE
WAM/4 AND WAG/5 HAVE THEM, IN THE SAME POSITION. THEY
ARE PLACED IN THE SAME POSITION IN THE WAP/1S TOO
POSSIBLY TO FACILITATE COUPLING OF MULTIPLE CLASSES OF
ENGINES: A WAP/1 AND A WAM/4 FOR INSTANCE.

> - the lights on the side, by the window - what kind
> of lights are these?

THESE ARE TINY ORANGE MARKER LAMPS. THE ICF-BUILT EMUs
HAVE THEM TOO, ABOVE THE DRIVER'S CAB DOOR, AND ABOVE
THE DOOR OF THE ENTRANCE TO DRIVER'S CAB IN THE POWER
CAR. IN MY FORTY YEARS LIFE, I HAVE NEVER SEEN THESE
LAMPS EVER BEING USED.
IN THE CASE OF THE WAP, ITS PROBABLY TO WARN PASSERSBY
AND ONCOMING TRAINS OF THE VERY HIGH SPEED. I'VE NEVER
SEEN ANY WAPS USING THESE LIGHTS EITHER.

> - the object mounted on the front of the cab roof
> (beside the horn)

THAT IS THE EMERGENCY FLASHER. AS YOU KNOW, ALL IR
LOCOMOTIVES HAVE TO BE PROVIDED WITH THIS DEVICE AS A
MATTER OF POLICY EVER SINCE THE SAURASHTRA JANATA
RAMMED INTO THE BACK OF AN EMU IN THE 1980s.

> - the square slots on the sidebody, below the window
> but near the bottom.
> - a pair of similar slots at the middle of the body
> (WAP4s don't seem to
> have these)

THESE ARE THE STEP HOLES.SORT OF STEPS. AS THE DOOR IS
SLIGHTLY BEHIND,YOU CAN GET INTO THE CAB FROM THE
FRONT BUFFER BEAM BY USING THESE DEPRESSIONS AND HOLD
HANDLES.
BUT MORE THAN THE DRIVERS, I THINK ITS MORE FOR USE BY
THE SHUNTING MASTERS. THEY CAN CLIMB HIGHER IN THE
EVENT OF THE LIGHT ENGINE ENTERING A PLATFORM OR
SOMETHING.
>
> Thanks,
> Shanku
>

CHEERS.

SHANKAR
>

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Bid and sell for free at <A HREF="http://auctions.yahoo.com">http://auctions.yahoo.com</A>

From: Parag Dave <>

Subject: South Eastern Railway

Date: 05 Oct 1999 07:24:41 -0500


Respected Sir,
Good Morning! Kindly accept the greetings from Parag Dave, U.S.A.
Sir
if you don't mind, then can you please give me the general e-mail
address of
the office of South Eastern Railway, or if you don't have that then can
you
please give me e-mail address of anyone who is working in Indian
Railways in
the South Eastern Railway's Zone. Can you please let me this e-mail
address
at parag75@usa.email Thanks a lot. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Parag
Dave

____________________________________________________________________
Get free email and a permanent address at <A HREF="http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1">http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1</A>

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Single line electrification and more...

Date: 05 Oct 1999 07:50:24 -0500


A couple of other single line electrified sections -
Kottavalasa-Kirandul
Bilaspur-Khongsara and Khodri-Annupur (part of the Katni-Bilaspur route
which has 2 x 25 kv electrification)
Champa-Gevra Road

A few multi-track sections where only one of the lines is electrified -
Chengalpattu - Villupuram (is a parallel BG-MG line with only the MG
line
being electrified)
Visakhapatnam-Kottavalasa (only the line towards Kirandul is
electrified)

Vijay

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bharat Vohra [SMTP:bvohra@hotmail.email
> Sent: Saturday, October 02, 1999 5:14 AM
> To: irfca@cs.email
> Subject: Single line electrification and more...
>
> Hi all,
> I can add a few more to single lines that are electrified-
> 1. Anand-Godhra - AC (WR)
> 2. Bayana-Agra Fort - AC (WR)
> 3. Vasai-Diva - DC (CR)
> 4. Belapur-Panvel - DC (CR) [till doubling is complete]
> 5. Karjat-Khopoli - DC (CR)
>
> Apurva....about your observations at Pune yard the other day....the
zebra
> stripes on GS coaches...I had mentioned it earlier....I think the only

> reason for painting them in this manner is a kind of standardisation
that
> IR
> is carrying out...to differenciate GS coaches from the rest of the
rake.
>
> On another note...saw the Ahmedabad passenger yesterday on its way to
> BDTS...new air braked rake and hauled by a WCAM2!!! I wonder why
passenger
>
> trains are getting air braked rakes and not other long distance
express
> trains...especially on WR?
>
> Regards,
> Bharat
>
>
> ______________________________________________________
> Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Lines around Adra

Date: 05 Oct 1999 07:59:55 -0500


I took a close look at the lines around Adra from the on-line SER map.
The
following picture emerges -
Double line - Burnpur Joychandhipahar XX Anara Purulia
Single line - Rukni Sanka Adra
Single line - Sanka Joychandipahar (line crosses the J'pahar-Anara
line,
takes a sharp turn to the North and joins J'pahar)
Single line - Adra XX
Single line - Rukni Anara
All the above are electrified. From the TTs, I concluded that XX is
Garh-Dhrubeswar.

Comments?

Vijay

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Hi !!!

Date: 05 Oct 1999 08:23:07 -0500


> dear Vijay,
> Hi!
>
>
> About Chakki Bank Station.... its not a suburb but part of the town
....
> Its name Chakki Bank is after a river
> which pass on the side of city named "Chakki", this station is near
the
> river.... so its called Chakki Bank...
> Actually Pathankot is a Terminus Station before Partition.... The
railway
> line for Jammu Was from Amritsar via Narowal & Dera Baba Nanak... A
branch
> line from Amritsar & one branch line from Jallandhar were reach
here...ITs
> also the starting station for Narrow Gauge Kangra Valley Railway.....
> After
> PArtition a new line had laid to connect Jammu & Pathankot. Chakki
BAnk is
> basically is Chord for PAthankot.... 'coz any train which goes to
> Pathankot
> have to change its Locomative........
>
Thanks for the info. The line from Amritsar now terminates at Debra Baba
Nanak itself. To get to Jammu one has to go via Batala - Gurdaspur -
Bharoli - Kathua.


> Well, officially Through Coaches between JAmmu & Jaipur are Two but
only
> in
> Season..... Usually only one Coach S-10 is reserved for through
> Passengers...
>
> Like Pooja Exp. there's another Through Called 4311/4312 Ala Hazrat
> exp.bet. Delhi & Barelly,4315/4316 bet. Delhi-Gandhidham.... Initially
it
> was a weekly train bet. AJmer & Barelly... Now its Bi-weekly......
> Another one is 4553/4554 Himachal Exp. bet. Una-Nangal Dam-Delhi &
> 4555/4556 Delhi-Barelly Exp. via Chandausi...
>
The NR on-line map indicates the construction of a new line between Una
Himachal and
Mukerian. This would provide an alternate route between Ambala and
Pathankot via Sirhind - Nangal - Una - Mukerian.
A few Jammu bound trains could use this route (and bypass Ludhiana and
Jallandhar).


> One thing more that is anybody from Delhi in IRFCA ???
>
Delhi-ites, please respond!!

Vijay

From: S.SRINIVAS <>

Subject: Re: BRAGANZA GHAT

Date: 05 Oct 1999 10:17:39 -0500


Dear Apurva

Thanks for the details on operations and Safety features.
Look forward to a detailed report from u after the visit.

My advise will be that u take the KR as planned and
give us details on that lovely section too.

Have a good holiday in Goa. And enjoy the foot-plating.

Regards

S. Srinivas

=================================

Apurva Bahadur wrote:

 Dear Rajan,

This really is hot news. This is indeed the train that connects to the Goa Express. Today's TOI carries the news item about the opening of the Briganza ghat for the passenger traffic. The problem is that there still are no catch sidings. The commissioner of safety is quite adamant that passenger rakes cannot be allowed in the ghat section without catch sidings. So the SCR has a unique safety device that brakes the locomotive in the event of the speeds exceeding 40 kmph. The news further states that 200 coaches would be fitted with the specially modified brake system.
What the safety system would do in case of missing brake blocks etc. is yet to be explained. But the system has been tested for engine shutdown in the ghat section, parting of coupling or brake pipe. Successful trial have been taken for 18 coach rakes (read passenger and B grade express rakes).
So till the time some other action is taken, I guess the BG passengers from the rest of the country would have to terminate at Londa and the special rakes would take the passengers to Madgaon and Vasco. This is BG trans shipment to BG across the Londa platform ! Quite unique.

This passenger link would solve a lot of problems for me during my visit to Goa during Nov. I am booked to return to Pune on the Goa express and was dreading the bus journey from Panaji/ Madgaon to Londa. I am almost tempted to cancel the journey towards Goa from Mumbai on the Mandovi Express (ex CSTM at 0515 hrs) and go on the Nizamuddin - Londa Goa express, taking the 7317 Down to Madgaon.

Apurva

To: Sarosh Bhai (who is holidaying in Goa during the same time of my trip) , forget going back to Mumbai on the Mandovi Exp.,  use this link instead and return to CSTM via Pune.

SAW THIS ANNOUNCEMENT ON THE STATION NOTICE BOARD Effective 04 October 1999 7318VASCO d 1350MADGAON d 1417LONDA a 1730 7317LONDA d 0310MADGAON d 0617VASCO a 0645

From: S.SRINIVAS <>

Subject: Re: one more ghaisal

Date: 05 Oct 1999 10:18:33 -0500


Oh my God !

It is a repeat of the Ghaisal tragedy.
In London this time but, luckily,
with much less casualties.

Seems like other railways are
catching up with IR. Will BR
suspend a few officers ? Let
us keep track.

Regards

S. Srinivas

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Info on WAP1]

Date: 05 Oct 1999 10:22:07 -0500


> > - the pair of vertical columns of two circular
> > objects just below the
> > windshield
>
> I DO NOT KNOW. ANYONE ELSE? A TERMINAL OF SOME SORT, I
> THINK.

Telephone connectors for guard to driver communication ?

> > - the hoses beside the headlight
>
> THE TAP CHANGER ASSEMBLY. (DON'T ASK ME WHAT THAT
> MEANS.)THESE HOSES ARE COUPLED TOO, WHILE COUPLING
> ENGINES IN MULTIPLE. EVEN FLAT FACED ENGINES LIKE THE
> WAM/4 AND WAG/5 HAVE THEM, IN THE SAME POSITION. THEY
> ARE PLACED IN THE SAME POSITION IN THE WAP/1S TOO
> POSSIBLY TO FACILITATE COUPLING OF MULTIPLE CLASSES OF
> ENGINES: A WAP/1 AND A WAM/4 FOR INSTANCE.

The hoses connect the air resorvoirs of the two (or more) locos in MU.
This is
essential as the two locos may have compressor running at different
capacities.

>
> > - the lights on the side, by the window - what kind
> > of lights are these?
>
> THESE ARE TINY ORANGE MARKER LAMPS. THE ICF-BUILT EMUs
> HAVE THEM TOO, ABOVE THE DRIVER'S CAB DOOR, AND ABOVE
> THE DOOR OF THE ENTRANCE TO DRIVER'S CAB IN THE POWER
> CAR. IN MY FORTY YEARS LIFE, I HAVE NEVER SEEN THESE
> LAMPS EVER BEING USED.

They are blue lamps which get lit if the engine developes a fault. Or in
case of the
Calcutta Metro they are lit when the door is open.

> IN THE CASE OF THE WAP, ITS PROBABLY TO WARN PASSERSBY
> AND ONCOMING TRAINS OF THE VERY HIGH SPEED. I'VE NEVER
> SEEN ANY WAPS USING THESE LIGHTS EITHER.
>
> > - the object mounted on the front of the cab roof
> > (beside the horn)
>
> THAT IS THE EMERGENCY FLASHER. AS YOU KNOW, ALL IR
> LOCOMOTIVES HAVE TO BE PROVIDED WITH THIS DEVICE AS A
> MATTER OF POLICY EVER SINCE THE SAURASHTRA JANATA
> RAMMED INTO THE BACK OF AN EMU IN THE 1980s.

Yes, the emergency hazard flasher.

> > - the square slots on the sidebody, below the window
> > but near the bottom.
> > - a pair of similar slots at the middle of the body
> > (WAP4s don't seem to
> > have these)

COuld these be the slots for the sand filler to the bogie ? Lubrication
point for the
pivot ?

> THESE ARE THE STEP HOLES.SORT OF STEPS. AS THE DOOR IS
> SLIGHTLY BEHIND,YOU CAN GET INTO THE CAB FROM THE
> FRONT BUFFER BEAM BY USING THESE DEPRESSIONS AND HOLD
> HANDLES.
> BUT MORE THAN THE DRIVERS, I THINK ITS MORE FOR USE BY
> THE SHUNTING MASTERS. THEY CAN CLIMB HIGHER IN THE
> EVENT OF THE LIGHT ENGINE ENTERING A PLATFORM OR
> SOMETHING.

The shunting staff use them while coupling.

The content of the individual messages displayed here is subject to copyright by the original authors and may not be reproduced outside the context of IRFCA without permission.
Note: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways! The official web site of Indian Railways is: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in
Site contact: webmaster@irfca.org
Copyright © 2010, IRFCA.org. About IRFCA  Contact Us  Search this site  Site Map  Links   Acknowledgements  Legal Information & Disclaimers