IRFCA Mailing List Archive

Messages 5761 - 5780

Previous 20 Messages          Archive Index          Next 20 Messages

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Some new trains

Date: 08 Apr 1999 07:10:01 -0500


>The South Central Railway has announced many holiday specials.
>Many of these run in the slots of the weekly Swaran Jayanti
>Expresses. One interesting holiday special is Vasco - Chennai
>Express. This seems to be the first train out of the BG
>converted Vasco station, while all other new trains seem to
>prefer Madgaon. This train travels Vasco - Madgaon - Mangalore

Goa-bound trains from the north (traveling via Panvel-Ratnagiri)
would have to reverse at Majorda/Madgaon in order to reach Vasco -
could this be the main reason to terminate at Madgaon itself?


>The new Indian Railway Mag has details of freight operation
>through the Briganza ghat. The SCR is running mineral specials
>with 4800 tonnes BOX wagons from Hospet to Vasco (or Murmogoa

The front cover shows a WDM2-hauled train - the loco. seems to have a
silver-with-red-band livery. What shed would this belong to?

Vijay


_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit <A HREF="http://www.msn.com">http://www.msn.com</A>

From: S Pai <>

Subject: Station Codes [Was Re: codes for Indian rail]

Date: 08 Apr 1999 19:07:47 -0500



>>>> On April 8, at 11:04 (+0530) VIRAF P.. MULLA wrote:

> I fully agree with Mike, we should have a list of station codes. I
confess
> that at times I get confused too.

Viraf & Mike, I have been collecting some of the station codes for
inclusion in the FAQ for this group. Here is the current list I have.
Any additions and corrections will be welcome!

--Satish

----------------------------------------------------------------

ADI Ahmedabad
AGC Agra Cantonment
AJJ Arakkonam Junction
ALD Allahabad
AMI Amravati
AQ Ajni, a marshalling yard and suburb of Nagpur
ASN Asansol
ASR Amritsar
BAMY Bandra Marshalling Yard
BBS Bhubaneshwar
BBVT Bombay Victoria Terminus (now CSTM)
BCT Bombay Central (now MCT)
BKI Bikaner
BKSC Bokaro Steel City
BNC Bangalore Cantt.
BP Barrackpore
BPL Bhopal
BPO Baripada
BPQ Balharshah on the New Delhi - Chennai Trunk
BRC Vadodara Jn. (Baroda)
BSB Varanasi Jn. (formerly Benaras Cantt.) (also VNS??)
BSL Bhusaval
BSP Bilaspur
BSR Vasai Road (from Bassein Road)
BT Barasat (?)
BWN Barddhaman
BZA Vijayawada (from the older "Beziawada")
CAPE Kanyakumari (from "Cape Comorin")
CBE Coimbatore
CDG Chandigarh
CHTS Cochin Harbour Terminus
CLA Kurla (from "Coorla")
CNB Kanpur Central (from the older "Cawnpore")
COQ Cheoki
CPR Chhapra
CST Chennai Central (?)
CSTM Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus Mumbai (was BBVT)
DBG Darbhanga
DD Daund
DDN Dehradun
DEE Delhi Sarai Rohilla
DHB Dhanbad
DLI Delhi Junction (Old Delhi)
DR Dadar
ED Erode
ERS Ernakulam (formerly Ernakulam South)
ET Itarsi
ETI Etwari (?? NG shed near Nagpur)
FD Faizabad
FZR Ferozepore
G Gondia
GGP Gangapur City
GHY Guwahati
GIM Jamnagar
GKP Gorakhpur
GOC Golden Rock
GONDA Gonda
GTL Guntakal
GWL Gwalior
GY Gooty
GZB Ghaziabad
HNZM Hazrat Nizamuddin (also NZM?)
HWH Howrah
HX Cudduppah
HYB Hyderabad
IGP Igatpuri
IND Indore
JAM Jamnagar
JAT Jammu Tawi
JBP Jabalpur
JHS Jhansi
JLN Jalgaon
JTJ Jolarpettai Junction
KGN Kurseong
KGP Kharagpur
KJM Krishnarajapuram
KLK Kalka
KLMG Kalamboli (KR)
KNW Khandwa
KOP Kolhapur
KTE Katni
KTT Kota
KYN Kalyan
KZJ Kazipet Jn. (KZP??)
LDH Ludhiana
LKO Lucknow (NR)
LJN Lucknow (NER)
LNL Lonavla
MAQ Mangalore
MAS Madras Central (now CST)
MBVT "Mumbai Victoria Terminus", replacement for BBVT (now CSTM)
MCT Mumbai Central (was BCT)
MDU Madurai
MFP Muzaffarpur
MGS Mughalsarai
MMR Manmad
MRJ Miraj
MS Chennai Egmore (from "Madras")
NDLS New Delhi
NGP Nagpur
NIR Nainpur
NJP New Jalpaiguri
NKJ New Katni Jn.
NYN Naini
NZM Hazrat Nizamuddin (also HNZM?)
PA Pune (formerly Poona)
PNBE Patna Junction
RC Raichur
RJT Rajkot
RRB Birur Junction
RTM Ratlam
RU Renigunta
SBI Sabarmati
SBC Bangalore City (from "South Bangalore City")
SC Secunderabad
SDAH Sealdah (in Calcutta)
SGNR Sri Ganganagar
SGU Siliguri
SLP Salpa
SMET Shimoga Town
SRC Santragachi
SSB Shakurbasti
STN Satna
SUR Sholapur
SWV Sawantwadi (on KR)
TDH Tindharia on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway,
TDL Tundla
TKD Tughlakabad
TLGP Talaguppa
TPTY Tirupati
TVC Trivandrum Central
UBL Hubli
UDZ Udaipur
VKZ Venkatanarasingharajuvariapeta (50km south of Tirupati)
VR Virar
VNS Varanasi (also BSB)
VSG Vasco da Gama
VSKP Vishakhapatnam
VSRD Vasai Road
WAT Waltair
WD Wadi
WR Wardha
WTR Wathar

From: Shanku Niyogi <>

Subject: More pictures + FAQ update

Date: 08 Apr 1999 21:55:30 -0500


I now have the last batch of pictures from my India trip on my web site.
They include
- pictures of the WAP5, WAG9, WAP1, WAP6, WDP1, and various goods locos
on
the HWH-NDLS line.
- pictures of the WDS4 bringing the Rajdhani rake into Howrah station
- very close (20 feet + zoom) shots of two Rajdhanis passing my train
(less
than 5 minutes apart!)
- a shot of the new green-yellow GT rake
- a couple of shots of the twin-Rajdhani WDM2s (with the 2305 Up Raj,
which
I was on) at Madhupur station.

That makes 61 shots in all from the trip on the site (there were more,
but
not worth scanning). My only wish is that I'd been able to get a picture
of
a Shatabdi - alas, New Delhi station was too crowded to get a good shot
of
one. Also, next time I will have to come out west and catch some WCAMs.

The gallery format is at
<A HREF="http://threshold.simplenet.com/india99/images.html">http://threshold.simplenet.com/india99/images.html</A>.

The single page list of all images is at
<A HREF="http://threshold.simplenet.com/india99/images_all.html">http://threshold.simplenet.com/india99/images_all.html</A>


I am currently working on getting the FAQ (put together by Satish) onto
the
irfca.org website - I'll have something there by the end of the weekend.

Enjoy!

Shanku

From: VIRAF P.. MULLA <>

Subject: New Station

Date: 10 Apr 1999 00:24:32 -0500



Gang,

According to the Western Railway Ad in yesterday's The Times Of India
there will be a new station "UMROLI" between Palghar & Boisar.

The Bhoomipoojan Ceremony was held on 9th. April and the Chief Guest was
Mr. Ram Naik.

The ad. further states that the Umroli Gram Panchayat by the way of
Shramdan will assist in the following works:

1. Earthwork for the rail level platform.
2. Providing water arrangement.
3. Planting shady trees.
4. Providing R.C.C. benches.

So gang add one more station on WR's Bombay suburban section.

Have a Happy Weekend :)

Viraf.
==========================
Viraf Mulla
C-20/14, Jeevan Bima Nagar,
Borivali (West)
Mumbai 400103
Tel: +91-22-8954510
E-mail: sncf@godrej.email
==========================

From: Jayant S <>

Subject: For IR Modelers:

Date: 10 Apr 1999 04:22:36 -0500


<A HREF="http://homepages.tesco.net/~stravaig/">http://homepages.tesco.net/~stravaig/</A>
This one deals with some of the gauge issues
regarding the modeling of Portuguese railway
equipment, which happens to be on the 5'6" gauge.
Perhaps some of the experience from these people
could help.

-Jayant S-

From: Karthik Giddu <>

Subject: DMU for Mumbai.

Date: 10 Apr 1999 11:07:31 -0500


Hi Folks,
Apurva had written this earlier.
>In the meantime in anticipation for the conversion, there is a move to
>manufacture high powered DMUs with basic units of 1 driving + power car
and
>three trailer cars to run in the suburban Mumbai section when the 1.5
Kv is
>being converted to 25 KVAC.
>There are reports of DMU formations like 2 X 1400 HP driving + power
cars
and
>14 (yes, 14 !) trailer cars. This 16 coach DMU rake will be the longest
and
>the most powerful urban train in the world. Two such sets are due to be
>assembled at ICF before August 1999.
>

How can they manufacture a 16 coach DMU when there are no stations from
Chruchgate to Virar capable of taking. In fact some of the stations
cannot
even take the now common 12 coach rake. Can anybody please clarify.

Karthik

From: Jayant S <>

Subject: WDM2 Model Basis ?

Date: 10 Apr 1999 21:26:52 -0500


Take a look at the CP1320/RENFE313 class diesels
(Now withdrawn). Photos of the CP units are
available at:
<A HREF="http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/pt/diesel/1300/pix.html">http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/pt/diesel/1300/pix.html</A>
Looks familiar ?
As far as I can see, the roof profile, buffer type
and cattle guard (pilot/cowcatcher) would need work.
The rest is almost identical, even the handrail detail.
What is the RTR support for RENFE/CP in HO ?

--
Jayant S
--

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: DMU for Mumbai.

Date: 10 Apr 1999 21:44:56 -0500




Karthik Giddu wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> Apurva had written this earlier.
> >In the meantime in anticipation for the conversion, there is a move
to
> >manufacture high powered DMUs with basic units of 1 driving + power
car and
> >three trailer cars to run in the suburban Mumbai section when the 1.5
Kv is
> >being converted to 25 KVAC.
> >There are reports of DMU formations like 2 X 1400 HP driving + power
cars
> and
> >14 (yes, 14 !) trailer cars. This 16 coach DMU rake will be the
longest and
> >the most powerful urban train in the world. Two such sets are due to
be
> >assembled at ICF before August 1999.
> >
>
> How can they manufacture a 16 coach DMU when there are no stations
from
> Chruchgate to Virar capable of taking. In fact some of the stations
cannot
> even take the now common 12 coach rake. Can anybody please clarify.

The 16 coach figure is correct. Since I suppose there will be less DMUs
than EMUs, and
that too is a temporary arrangement until the 25 KV lines are laid, the
only obvious
solution is to increase the length of the train. In any case the 16
coach train is an
experiment and it would be tried out near Delhi if the grapevine is to
be believed.
But the intended application is the Mumbai area during the 25 Kv change
over period.
Now that Karthik brings it up, I feel that even the 12 coach rakes are
jammed full, so
maybe there is long term plan to convert all the platforms to 16 coach
length and run
even the EMUs for 16 coaches. Maybe that would solve the congestion
somewhat.

Apurva

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: [Fwd: More info....

Date: 10 Apr 1999 21:50:28 -0500


A huge thanks to Mark for this link on Alco stuff.

Apurva

Mark Bristow wrote:

 Apurva, Here is a link to another page I just found. It contains a wealth of information regarding some models of ALCos. There are operating manuals and diagrams for some of the Century series machines.  <<A HREF="http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood/other/alco.html> Mark">http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood/other/alco.html> Mark</A>...

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: Some new trains

Date: 10 Apr 1999 22:34:22 -0500


>
> Goa-bound trains from the north (traveling via Panvel-Ratnagiri)
> would have to reverse at Majorda/Madgaon in order to reach Vasco -
> could this be the main reason to terminate at Madgaon itself?

True ! Majorda is now a 'Junction'. But eventually I am sure there would
be chord line
which would allow traffic from Verna side to go directly to Vasco
without reversing at
Majorda/ Madgaon. Till then we cannot have a Mumbai - Vasco express of a
4800 Tonne
monster freighter from Nagothane (on the KR) to Vasco.
Can anyone justify the reason why a train (specially a passenger train)
is pulled to
Vasco rather than Madgaon. (Possible answers, the Vasco - Chennai
express is a Hubli
division SC train while Madgaon is under the KR, Vasco (VSG) is a more
important town
than Madgaon with closer proximity to the Mormugoa harbour, however
Madgaon (MAO) is
nearer to the capital Panaji, although the Old Goa station (AKA Karmali,
old only in
name - this is a sparkling new station) is the nearest to Panaji. Expert
opinion from
likes of Rajan Mathew is required (He seems to be taking his profession
more seriously
than his love for Indian Railways :-))

> The front cover shows a WDM2-hauled train - the loco. seems to have a
> silver-with-red-band livery. What shed would this belong to?

No idea about the shed. The scene is a loco hauling a passenger rake
through a palm
/coconut tree studded line. I would in interpret the colour scheme as
pure white with
a red band at the window level. The shed code is a large white circle
and I feel that
the picture is actually a mirror image as the door appears on the right
side of the
short hood (The short hood door is normally in front of the asst driver
who sits on
the left side). A white loco is a rarity on the IR. I have only seen
the Kazipet pair
coming into Pune Jn from Daund just after a monsoon shower. These were
pure white with
the Indian tricolour splashed on the short and long hoods. A most
spectacular livery.
The Indian Railway mag seems to take delight in cutting parts of a
perfectly good
photograph and grafting them in a larger insignificant artworks which
say nothing at
all. Earlier in the years they have sported great covers with action
pictures from the
Indian Railways.

Apurva

From: Jayant S <>

Subject: [Fwd: WDM2 Model Basis ?

Date: 10 Apr 1999 23:00:28 -0500


Julian.Rainbow@waii.email wrote:
>
> There is quite a lot, especially for RENFE, Lima does models of CP in
HO.
> There are a couple of Spanish firms producing stuff for their home
market
>
> Julian
>
> Jayant S <sank@telco.email on 04/11/99 05:26:52 AM
>
> Please respond to sank@telco.email
>
> To: IR List <irfca@cs.email
> cc: (bcc: Julian Rainbow/WGC/WAII)
> Subject: WDM2 Model Basis ?
>
> Take a look at the CP1320/RENFE313 class diesels
> (Now withdrawn). Photos of the CP units are
> available at:
> <A HREF="http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/pt/diesel/1300/pix.html">http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/pt/diesel/1300/pix.html</A>
> Looks familiar ?
> As far as I can see, the roof profile, buffer type
> and cattle guard (pilot/cowcatcher) would need work.
> The rest is almost identical, even the handrail detail.
> What is the RTR support for RENFE/CP in HO ?
>
> --
> Jayant S
> --

--
Jayant S : ID Studio : Tata Technologies India Limited
Telco Premises : Pimpri : PUNE : 411 018 : INDIA
TEL 91(20)702534 : FAX 91(20)773191
--

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: Station Codes [Was Re: codes for Indian rail]

Date: 10 Apr 1999 23:42:09 -0500


Big thanks to Satish for compiling such a difficult list.


> Viraf & Mike, I have been collecting some of the station codes for
> inclusion in the FAQ for this group. Here is the current list I have.
> Any additions and corrections will be welcome!
>
> --Satish
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> ADI Ahmedabad
> AGC Agra Cantonment
> AJJ Arakkonam Junction
> ALD Allahabad
> AMI Amravati
> AQ Ajni, a marshalling yard and suburb of Nagpur
> ASN Asansol
> ASR Amritsar
> BAMY Bandra Marshalling Yard
> BBS Bhubaneshwar
> BBVT Bombay Victoria Terminus (now CSTM)
> BCT Bombay Central (now MCT)
> BKI Bikaner

Isn't BKI Bandikui ?

>
> BKSC Bokaro Steel City
> BNC Bangalore Cantt.
> BP Barrackpore
> BPL Bhopal
> BPO Baripada
> BPQ Balharshah on the New Delhi - Chennai Trunk
> BRC Vadodara Jn. (Baroda)
> BSB Varanasi Jn. (formerly Benaras Cantt.) (also VNS??)
> BSL Bhusaval
> BSP Bilaspur
> BSR Vasai Road (from Bassein Road)
> BT Barasat (?)
> BWN Barddhaman
> BZA Vijayawada (from the older "Beziawada")
> CAPE Kanyakumari (from "Cape Comorin")
> CBE Coimbatore
> CDG Chandigarh
> CHTS Cochin Harbour Terminus
> CLA Kurla (from "Coorla")

Also CLAT (Kurla Terminus - you are more likely to see names like CLAT -
SBC Express )

>
> CNB Kanpur Central (from the older "Cawnpore")
> COQ Cheoki
> CPR Chhapra
> CST Chennai Central (?)

> (Not true Chennai is still MAS)

>
> CSTM Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus Mumbai (was BBVT)
> DBG Darbhanga
> DD Daund
> DDN Dehradun
> DEE Delhi Sarai Rohilla
> DHB Dhanbad
> DLI Delhi Junction (Old Delhi)
> DR Dadar

And DDR (Dadar - Western Railway !)

> ED Erode
> ERS Ernakulam (formerly Ernakulam South)
> ET Itarsi
> ETI Etwari (?? NG shed near Nagpur)
> FD Faizabad
> FZR Ferozepore
> G Gondia

G is one of the shortest station codes on the IR. I cannot think of any
other single
letter codes, can anyone else ?

>
> GGP Gangapur City
> GHY Guwahati
> GIM Jamnagar

My mistake ! - GIM is Gandhidham not Jamnagar. Jamnagar is JAM as you
have correctly
mentioned below.

>
> GKP Gorakhpur
> GOC Golden Rock
> GONDA Gonda
> GTL Guntakal
> GWL Gwalior
> GY Gooty
> GZB Ghaziabad
> HNZM Hazrat Nizamuddin (also NZM?)

NZM is the correct railway name

>
> HWH Howrah
> HX Cudduppah

HX is the stangest station code on the IR

> HYB Hyderabad
> IGP Igatpuri
> IND Indore
> JAM Jamnagar
> JAT Jammu Tawi
> JBP Jabalpur
> JHS Jhansi
> JLN Jalgaon
> JTJ Jolarpettai Junction

Add JU = Jodhpur

>
> KGN Kurseong
> KGP Kharagpur
> KJM Krishnarajapuram
> KLK Kalka
> KLMG Kalamboli (KR)
> KNW Khandwa
> KOP Kolhapur
> KTE Katni
> KTT Kota
> KYN Kalyan
> KZJ Kazipet Jn. (KZP??)

KZJ is correct.

> LDH Ludhiana
> LKO Lucknow (NR)
> LJN Lucknow (NER)
> LNL Lonavla
> MAQ Mangalore
> MAS Madras Central (now CST)

It is still MAS - Gang from Chennai please confirm

> MBVT "Mumbai Victoria Terminus", replacement for BBVT (now CSTM)

I am quite sure it is only 'CSTM' .

>
> MCT Mumbai Central (was BCT)
> MDU Madurai
> MFP Muzaffarpur
> MGS Mughalsarai
> MMR Manmad
> MRJ Miraj
> MS Chennai Egmore (from "Madras")
> NDLS New Delhi
> NGP Nagpur
> NIR Nainpur
> NJP New Jalpaiguri
> NKJ New Katni Jn.
> NYN Naini
> NZM Hazrat Nizamuddin (also HNZM?)
> PA Pune (formerly Poona)
> PNBE Patna Junction
> RC Raichur
> RJT Rajkot
> RRB Birur Junction
> RTM Ratlam
> RU Renigunta
> SBI Sabarmati
> SBC Bangalore City (from "South Bangalore City")
> SC Secunderabad
> SDAH Sealdah (in Calcutta)
> SGNR Sri Ganganagar
> SGU Siliguri
> SLP Salpa
> SMET Shimoga Town
> SRC Santragachi
> SSB Shakurbasti
> STN Satna
> SUR Sholapur
> SWV Sawantwadi (on KR)
> TDH Tindharia on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway,
> TDL Tundla
> TKD Tughlakabad
> TLGP Talaguppa
> TPTY Tirupati
> TVC Trivandrum Central
> UBL Hubli
> UDZ Udaipur
> VKZ Venkatanarasingharajuvariapeta (50km south of Tirupati)

This is the longest station name on the IR !

>
> VR Virar
> VNS Varanasi (also BSB)

Also MUI - Manduahdih - the suburban station of Varanasi becoming a
terminus to many
long distance trains. Like 1031 Pune - Manduahdih Gyan Ganga express (PA
- MUI !)


>
> VSG Vasco da Gama
> VSKP Vishakhapatnam
> VSRD Vasai Road

Vasai Road is BSR

> WAT Waltair
> WD Wadi
> WR Wardha
> WTR Wathar

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: WDM2 Model Basis ?

Date: 10 Apr 1999 23:58:36 -0500


I am pleased to note that the Indian WDM 2 seems somewhat better cared
for than a
european locomotive.

Apurva

Jayant S wrote:

> Take a look at the CP1320/RENFE313 class diesels
> (Now withdrawn). Photos of the CP units are
> available at:
> <A HREF="http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/pt/diesel/1300/pix.html">http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/pt/diesel/1300/pix.html</A>
> Looks familiar ?
> As far as I can see, the roof profile, buffer type
> and cattle guard (pilot/cowcatcher) would need work.
> The rest is almost identical, even the handrail detail.
> What is the RTR support for RENFE/CP in HO ?
>
> --
> Jayant S
> --

From: Don Mills <>

Subject: Re: Subway in Calcutta

Date: 11 Apr 1999 00:35:16 -0500



Apurva,
Hello it is Don Mills in WV. I received lots of newsletters from other
chapters of the National Railway Historical Society around the US. One
item
that came from the Bridge Line Historical Society of Albany NY. It is
the
best of the NRHS societies as far as newsletters (Bulletin) is
concerned.
this month their newsletter contains an article concerning the Subway in
Calcutta. The article is titled Overseas. I am going to write it
exactly
as written because I am checking for accuracy.

Calcutta, India is often regarded as a "hell hole" of poverty,
overcrowding,lawlessness, and filth. But underneath is another world,
a
14-year old subway that extends 10 miles. There are no problems with
homeless, liter, or crime. but now escalators and ticket machines need
repairs and some cars require parts. The Metro is beyond the income of
most
residents costing between 7cents and 17cents to travel. the two worst
problems seem to be riders who buy lesser zone tickets and then ride
into
another zone. another problem is the result of spitting "betel juice".


My questions are:

Is this article accurate; and if so, can you improve on it in any way?
and
what is "betel juice" some form of tobacco or fruit?
I would like to use it if in next months newsletter.

How is your family? Hope this finds all well. bye for now. Don in
WV.

From: Vdate <>

Subject: Re: Station Codes [Was Re: codes for Indian rail]

Date: 11 Apr 1999 13:09:49 -0500


Here are some more codes.
AII Ajmer
BJP Bijapur
NBL Nimbal
JP Jaipur
BGM Belgaum

I was told that AII was chosen for Ajmer as it has relatively few Morse
Code
strokes and it was a policy to assign such codes to important railway
stations. Please verify.

From: Sunil Bajpai <>

Subject: Greetings

Date: 11 Apr 1999 21:41:12 -0500


Hello Everybody!

I have just joined your list and send greetings to all of you.

Sunil Bajpai

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: WDP 1 locomotive

Date: 12 Apr 1999 00:59:37 -0500


Gang !

The creativity and the aesthetic sense at DLW must have been at its
lowest when they
designed the WDP 1. A picture of this can be seen on Shanku's website.

The gallery format is at
<A HREF="http://threshold.simplenet.com/india99/images.html">http://threshold.simplenet.com/india99/images.html</A>.

The single page list of all images is at
<A HREF="http://threshold.simplenet.com/india99/images_all.html">http://threshold.simplenet.com/india99/images_all.html</A>

Forget the 'balding forehead short hood, that is only a styling feature.
The bogie
seems to be in parts. Actually this is a BB locomotive with the middle
wheel and motor
removed. The bogies the high adhesion type having 'even spaces' found
on the newer
locomotives including the WCAM 3s and the WDG 2s. But the removal of the
middle wheel
makes it seem like four separate axles. This locomotive was designed for
high speed
intercity type trains which need rapid acceleration and a fast cruising
speed. All the
locos seem to be limited to the Tughlakabad (TKD) shed near New Delhi
and used for the
traffic to Punjab and Saharanpur side.
The DLW has redeemed themselves of past design follies by greatly styled
WDP 2 and the
newer WDG 2s (which now sport a 'half a hexagon' section of the hoods).
The deep throb
of the WDG 2s is to be heard to be believed.


Apurva

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: Station Codes [Was Re: codes for Indian rail]

Date: 12 Apr 1999 01:02:08 -0500


This is very interesting info. That the morse code of important stations
must be easy.
I wonder if the Indian Railway still relies on the morse code as the
last line of
communication (after which are the person couriers, runners and the
pigeon post !).

Vdate@aol.email wrote:

> Here are some more codes.
> AII Ajmer
> BJP Bijapur
> NBL Nimbal
> JP Jaipur
> BGM Belgaum
>
> I was told that AII was chosen for Ajmer as it has relatively few
Morse Code
> strokes and it was a policy to assign such codes to important railway
> stations. Please verify.

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: Subway in Calcutta

Date: 12 Apr 1999 08:35:30 -0500





> Calcutta, India is often regarded as a "hell hole" of poverty,
> overcrowding,lawlessness, and filth. But underneath is another
world, a
> 14-year old subway that extends 10 miles. There are no problems with
> homeless, liter, or crime. but now escalators and ticket machines
need
> repairs and some cars require parts. The Metro is beyond the income
of most
> residents costing between 7cents and 17cents to travel. the two worst
> problems seem to be riders who buy lesser zone tickets and then ride
into
> another zone. another problem is the result of spitting "betel
juice".
>
> My questions are:
>
> Is this article accurate; and if so, can you improve on it in any way?
and
> what is "betel juice" some form of tobacco or fruit?
> I would like to use it if in next months newsletter.
>

Don,

Grime, filth, crime, poverty and squalor can be found in any Indian
city. India is
the 33rd poorest nation in the world. Calcutta is the only Indian city
to have a metro
railway. I have travelled on it a couple of times and I am very
impressed. The tickets
(if I remember correctly) are Rs 2 or Rs. 3.50 per ride. Now that is
cheap. But the
surface bus transport is even cheaper (0.35 paise for average distance)
! Bus ticket
prices such as Rs.1 is a major ride.
Calcutta also has a divine tram system with equally ridiculous fare
structure. As
compared to the bus and the tram the subway is expensive. It is used by
the middle
class and the office going crowd. It covers distances in great speed and
comfort which
would take hours in a jam packed surface traffic.
The metro is fast, clean and efficient. There is a sense of pride
amongst the users to
see that the metro and its stations are not misused. The premises and
the metro itself
is a hawker and beggar free zone. In the blazing heat of the day the
station and the
metro cars themselves are at a much lower temperature thanks to a system
of blowers.
But the Metro runs only a length of Calcutta while the bus (and the
trams to some
extent) go cross routes as well.
I live next to THE metro of India, Mumbai (Bombay) and occasionally go
to Calcutta as
well. Given a choice I would rate Cal as vastly superior to Mumbai.
In Cal I find real culture and a strong sense of good civic behaviour.
The general
public is much simpler and the level of crime is lower than than in
Mumbai. Let me put
it this way, the slower pace of 'reforms' and 'progress' means that
Calcutta remains
at a gentler level than Mumbai. Recently I find that Calcutta is
actually cleaner than
Mumbai.
Calcutta has great street level food !
The 'paan' is betel leaf stuffed with tobacco extract and other stuff.
People all
over India eat (more like chew) this 'past time'. It is similar to
smoking a cigarette
or chewing gum. However a paan chewer may spit out the liquid residue
from time to
time. This leads to a red stain on the walls and I suspect the large
volumes of 'betel
juice' reduces conductivity between the third rail conductor and the
brush of the
cars. I am sure ticketless travel or travelling with a wrong or
underpaid ticket is a
problem on the Calcutta Metro but on the whole I found the metro
operation quite
satisfactory. All the equipment and technology is Indian so making
replacement parts
or finding spares would not be such a problem. However as the equipment
is non
standard, it may take some time procuring the material.


Apurva

From: Subir Das <>

Subject: subway in Calcutta

Date: 12 Apr 1999 10:29:55 -0500


Dear Mr. Mills,

Apurva passed on your message to me to reply as I stay in Calcutta.My
comments follow:

Its really surprising to note that the description of Calcutta given is
normally made by people who have never been here or lived here --- at
the most passing through .So I'll refrain from really expounding on this
as I feel the ignoramus are not worth arguing with.

Yes Calcutta has a single level Metro which at the moment extends for 10
miles.Yes it is quite clean and has no homeless ,litter or
graffitti.Crime is at a low in this city anyway(considering its size of
12million people).No crime in the metro.Escalators and ticket ma chines
may be closed in off peak hours to conserve energy etc.,they may also be
out of order sometimes but that does not imply that it is breaking down
due to lack of parts.It is a major transport sytem for people living and
working along its route.In its route some 5 million people live and
work.A fair percentage of them use the Metro---say 2 million of them.Its
not a question of affordability but choice between alternate modes of
transport to serve ones immediate need.Calcutta has the car,taxi,bus,
double decker bus,tram,ferry,local trains,rickshaw,cycle
rickshaw,mini-bus,and varied other modes of transport other than the
Metro.Yes the Metro is running at a loss and pressure is building up on
the govt. to increase the price of fares.This I feel will not effect the
volume of regular traffic.Very few riders buy lessor zone tickets and
then ride into another zone.This phenomena is restricted to very casual
users and tourists.Betel is a nut like fruit eaten normally with a
'paan" which is a leaf.It is common in India.Chewing of the Paan with
betel nut produces sputum in the mouth which is spitted out.Fortunately
the Metro has a minimal problem of such spitting compared to the
surface.However the problem remains one of cleanliness only --that is it
does not stop the srevice etc.
it is really advisable that opinions are not formed on the basis of
preconceived notions of your own culture.

Sorry if I soud a little peeved but somehow this full of vitality gets
such bad press ,often from people who have never lived here.

Regards,

Subir Das

The content of the individual messages displayed here is subject to copyright by the original authors and may not be reproduced outside the context of IRFCA without permission.
Note: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways! The official web site of Indian Railways is: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in
Site contact: webmaster@irfca.org
Copyright © 2010, IRFCA.org. About IRFCA  Contact Us  Search this site  Site Map  Links   Acknowledgements  Legal Information & Disclaimers