IRFCA Mailing List Archive

Messages 5741 - 5760

Previous 20 Messages          Archive Index          Next 20 Messages

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: Palace on Wheels

Date: 03 Apr 1999 05:28:42 -0500




Shanku Niyogi wrote:

> What hauls the Palace on Wheels nowadays? A WDM2?

Which shed homes this power (powers ?)? TKD ?

From: Harsh Vardhan <>

Subject: Re: Palace on Wheels

Date: 03 Apr 1999 10:23:27 -0500


Yup, its TDK and there are two of them WDM2s.

Harsh


-----Original Message-----
From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@vsnl.email
To: Shanku Niyogi <shankun@microsoft.email
Cc: 'shankie@emirates.email <shankie@emirates.email Harsh Vardhan
<hvc@vsnl.email irfca@cs.email <irfca@cs.email
Date: Sunday, April 04, 1999 5:38 AM
Subject: Re: Palace on Wheels


>
>
>Shanku Niyogi wrote:
>
>> What hauls the Palace on Wheels nowadays? A WDM2?
>
>Which shed homes this power (powers ?)? TKD ?
>
>
>
>

From: Harsh Vardhan <>

Subject: Re: Palace on Wheels

Date: 03 Apr 1999 10:23:27 -0500


Yup, its TDK and there are two of them WDM2s.

Harsh


-----Original Message-----
From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@vsnl.email
To: Shanku Niyogi <shankun@microsoft.email
Cc: 'shankie@emirates.email <shankie@emirates.email Harsh Vardhan
<hvc@vsnl.email irfca@cs.email <irfca@cs.email
Date: Sunday, April 04, 1999 5:38 AM
Subject: Re: Palace on Wheels


>
>
>Shanku Niyogi wrote:
>
>> What hauls the Palace on Wheels nowadays? A WDM2?
>
>Which shed homes this power (powers ?)? TKD ?
>
>
>
>

From: poras p.saklatwalla <>

Subject: WAG 9 SIGHTED AT VALSAD

Date: 05 Apr 1999 23:55:14 -0500


Friends Hi to all !
Have been extremely busy but today I am free so this posting. Spotted a
WAG 9 AT Bulsar on Sunday at 9.00 am hauling a goods train. Looked
classy
to me with "Balwant" written on it. I was in the shatabdi express and
was
standing on the door.

These days Paschim express and a host of Holiday sp are running on WDM 2
LOCOS wondering whether WR are short of WCAM 2 P'S and WCAM1 'S

Surprising as it may sound to most of you but on 2nd of April Deccan
Queen departed with a brand new WDM2 FROM PUNE SHED. BUT THE very next
day it was back to WCAM 3. Wonder why this run on WDM 2 with the loco
garlanded, at V.T. Is it going to be a common thing now or was the CR
short of locos too ?

After the arrival of WCAM3 we in Mumbai rarely get a chance of seeing
the
noisy loudspeaker WCG 2 ! Wonder where are they ?? Most goods trains
are
hauled by Jumbos ( most freights are double headed !!)

Strange as it may sound, but just a few kms away from Mumbai say if you
go to Vapi or thereabouts, you get to see a host of locos from all over
india sheds.


Wonder when will Mumbai get to see Locos from all over the country.
Delhi, Madras, Calcutta, all get locos from all over the country, it is
only because of this DC traction that Mumbai doesnt get to see the
latest
locos.
Any status of conversion from DC to AC in Mumbai / Pune section.

Appu, perhaps you can break some news.


















PORAS P.SAKLATWALLA
TEL :5773535/3636
EXT :4226/4232/4237

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Hindi Films and Railways

Date: 06 Apr 1999 01:48:33 -0500


Gang !

Apparently when the film 'The Burning Train' was shot the film
crew actually damaged three coaches and a loco. The railways
had to bear the loss of this misadventure. So any further
shooting that involves railway property has to be indemnified
by the film makers by the way of heavy security deposits with
the railways. This has put shooting budgets quite out of reach
for many film makers. Thus the film city at Goregaon Mumbai
has an artificial platform and rake which has been featured in
many movies. Maybe the layman does not notice the difference
but us railway enthusiasts can make out the fake train in an
instant.

Apurva

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: WAG 9 SIGHTED AT VALSAD was motive power in the Mumbai div

Date: 06 Apr 1999 04:15:06 -0500


Thanks for the energetic note Porus !

> Surprising as it may sound to most of you but on 2nd of April Deccan
> Queen departed with a brand new WDM2 FROM PUNE SHED. BUT THE very
next
> day it was back to WCAM 3. Wonder why this run on WDM 2 with the loco
> garlanded, at V.T. Is it going to be a common thing now or was the CR
> short of locos too ?

I do not think there is any shortage of WCAM 3 powers, there are over 60
of
these available and quite a few WCM1/2/5 still around and WCG 2s too.
Did you
personally see the WDM 2 hauling the DQ or is it hearsay ? I believe
only once
in the entire history of the train has it been hauled by a WDM 2 when
its
power (WCM 1) hauled near Kamshet. Similarly once a few times has it
been
hauled by a screaming WCG 2 due to loco failure. But in each case the
dead
loco was also hauled with the rake.

> After the arrival of WCAM3 we in Mumbai rarely get a chance of seeing
the
> noisy loudspeaker WCG 2 ! Wonder where are they ?? Most goods trains
are
> hauled by Jumbos ( most freights are double headed !!)

True : Most of freight is hauled by WDM 2s. I was told by the yard
master of
Pune last week that the average freight today is 3600 tonnes and these
necessarily require double headed powers. He also noted that electric
hauled
freights are hardly once a few days.

> Strange as it may sound, but just a few kms away from Mumbai say if
you
> go to Vapi or thereabouts, you get to see a host of locos from all
over
> india sheds.

One more interesting station was Vasai which has a collection of locos
from
the CR and the WR standing right on the tracks although only from the
Mumbai
area. I suppose a freight marshaling yard in necessary to collect locos
from
all over. Please tell us the home shed of the WAG 9 you sighted.

> Wonder when will Mumbai get to see Locos from all over the country.
> Delhi, Madras, Calcutta, all get locos from all over the country, it
is
> only because of this DC traction that Mumbai doesnt get to see the
latest
> locos.
> Any status of conversion from DC to AC in Mumbai / Pune section.

The 25 Kv will start from Manmad to Daund first. By that time Guntakal
would
be under the wires from Renigunta side. My guess is the old steam shed
at
Daund will be the AC loco shed in this area. Then it will be easy to
convert
sections such as Pune - Daund, Daund - Solapur and onwards. Personally,
I will
be sorry to see the diesel go.
There are also some rumours that the Pune diesel shed is likely to be
shifted
to Solapur (Tikekarwadi to be exact).
In the meantime in anticipation for the conversion, there is a move to
manufacture high powered DMUs with basic units of 1 driving + power car
and
three trailer cars to run in the suburban Mumbai section when the 1.5 Kv
is
being converted to 25 KVAC.
There are reports of DMU formations like 2 X 1400 HP driving + power
cars and
14 (yes, 14 !) trailer cars. This 16 coach DMU rake will be the longest
and
the most powerful urban train in the world. Two such sets are due to be
assembled at ICF before August 1999.

Apurva

From: poras p.saklatwalla <>

Subject: Re: WAG 9 SIGHTED AT VALSAD was motive power in the Mumbai div

Date: 06 Apr 1999 04:37:55 -0500


APPU
WAG 9 FROM WHERELSE BUT GHAZIABAD ! IT SEEMS THE BEST LOCOS ARE IN
GHAZIABAD SHED AND ALL SUPERPOWERS ARE RUN IN NORTH EAST AND SOUTH
WHILST
THE WEST WHICH HAS THE COMMERCIAL CAPITAL OF THE COUNTRY IS LEFT WITH
DUMBOS LIKE WCAM1 2 OR 3 !

PORAS P.SAKLATWALLA
TEL :5773535/3636
EXT :4226/4232/4237

From: Henry Posner III <>

Subject: Re: STOP PRESS!

Date: 06 Apr 1999 06:42:04 -0500


YP's 2257 and 2805, currently working on the Rajkot Division, were
recently
purchased by Railroad Development Corporation of the USA, in the
interest of
preserving the locomotives and ultimately operating them on one of its
railways in the future.

The locomotives will be overhauled at Ajmer and stored there pending
determination of their ultimate destination.

RDC is an international railway investment and management company,with
operations in the USA (1435mm.gauge), Argentina (1435 and 1676mm.
gauges)
and Guatemala (914 mm. gauge). It is hoped that future investments will
include some parts of the meter gauge world; alternatively, it may be
possible to regauge the YP for operation in Guatemala by applying
extra-wide
tires (Spoornet has done this on Cape-Gauge diesels to allow them to run
on
meter gauge in Brazil).


-----Original Message-----
From: Harsh Vardhan [mailto:champa@del3.email
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 6:50 AM
To: Apurva Bahadur
Cc: India Rail Fan Page
Subject: Re: STOP PRESS!


My friend did mention that earlier 2813 was to go but since Wankaner
powers
are more battered(as you earlier mentioned), 2805 was choosen finally.
2813
has indeed worked at Sabarmati and Jetalsar before arriving at
Wankaner.

Iam sure he would be very thrilled if this was going to UK which is home
country.

Harsh

-----Original Message-----
From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@vsnl.email
To: Harsh Vardhan <hvc@vsnl.email
Cc: Donald L. Mills, Jr <dmills@MARSHALL.email Dipl.-Ing. Nikolaus
Sbarounis
<sbaros@excite.email India Rail Fan Page <irfca@cs.email
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: STOP PRESS!


>While we were in Wankaner between the 9th and 12th of Jan
>1999, we did see the
>YP 2813 which was supposed to be exported to UK (not USA). I
>am quite sure about
>the loco number as this was the ex Sabarmati power that Viraf
>and Sarosh footplated
>on an earlier trip, although I am not sure about the final
>destination of the
>loco.
>
>Apurva
>
>Harsh Vardhan wrote:
>
>> These locos are syill in India awaiting some cosmetic work. Will pass
on
any
>> news received about their destination. Loco No.s are YP 2250 and 2805
which
>> were seen last in a fairly good shape.
>>
>> Iam not certain if these will actually be run in the USA or just
plinthed.
>> But laying new tracks I suppose is hardly a job compared to importing
a
>> locomotive.
>>
>> Harsh
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Donald L. Mills, Jr <dmills@MARSHALL.email
>> To: Harsh Vardhan <hvc@vsnl.email
>> Cc: India Rail Fan Page <irfca@cs.email
>> Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 7:06 AM
>> Subject: Re: STOP PRESS!
>>
>> >Harsh or Anyone,
>> >Does anyone know where these engines are coming in the US. This
might
be
>> >my only was of seeing one of these in person. I also want to see
them
>> >before the Touist Railroad renumbers or redoes any part of the
engines.
>> >Don in West Virginia
>> >
>> >----------
>> >From: Harsh Vardhan <champa@del3.email
>> >To: VIRAF P.. MULLA <sncf@godrej.email Indian Railway Fan Club
Association
>> ><irfca@cs.email
>> >Subject: STOP PRESS!
>> >Date: Monday, March 08, 1999 7:58 AM
>> >
>> > STEAM UPDATE
>> >
>> >Wankaner is the last bastion of steam on IR on the normal passenger
>> >services(non mountain/tourist section).
>> >
>> >Steam workings have finished in Jetalsar and Mhow recently as
reported
by a
>> >traveller(Can anyone else confirm this).
>> >
>> >Two YP(numbers not clear) locomotives from Wankaner are to go to USA
for
>> >working tourist specials by preservation groups(destinations
unknown).
>> >
>> >YG 3724 from Wankaner has been transferred to Rewari as surplus
power
for
>> >`Royal Orient'.
>> >
>> >Harsh
>> >
>> >
>
>

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Questions on liveries!

Date: 06 Apr 1999 09:09:17 -0500


Hi Folks,

Latching onto the recent thread of discussions about loco changes in
the Mumbai CR/WR divisions, what is the status of liveries for the
various locos? Specifically,

- Have all WCAM2s been painted in the Rajdhani livery?
- Have all WCAM3s been painted in the DQ livery?
- Is the DQ, Pragati,.... regularly hauled by WCAM3 or WCM1/5 are still
being used?
- Which trains in CR are now regularly hauled by locos. with matching
livery - DQ, Pragati, Sinhagad, Deccan, Panchavati?

- What is the livery for the Vidarbha Exp.? I would like to know the
exact combination, not just the colors.

Thanks,
Vijay

From: Krishnan Anand <>

Subject: Re: WAG 9 SIGHTED AT VALSAD was motive power in the Mumbai div

Date: 06 Apr 1999 09:21:32 -0500


Hi Poras and Appu,
A small correction to what Poras says. Its just the
North that gets the latest and houses the super powers. Hardly does the
south get to even see such powerhorses. It is said that the WDP would be

housed in Trichy . That would probably be the only latest offering to
the south by the RM. South just houses WAM4s, WAP1,4s, WAG5,7s and of
course the ever reliable WDMs. I guess other zones have a share of these

too. But North is exeptional. I am sure all will agree with me. I only
miss my Chennai-mate whom we lost recently. He would have surely
supported my arguement.

regds,
Anand


----Original Message Follows----
From: "poras p.saklatwalla " <pps@godrej.email
To: Apurva Bahadur <iti@vsnl.email
CC: irfca@cs.email
Subject: Re: WAG 9 SIGHTED AT VALSAD was motive power in the Mumbai div
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:07:55 +0530 (IST)

APPU
WAG 9 FROM WHERELSE BUT GHAZIABAD ! IT SEEMS THE BEST LOCOS ARE IN
GHAZIABAD SHED AND ALL SUPERPOWERS ARE RUN IN NORTH EAST AND SOUTH
WHILST
THE WEST WHICH HAS THE COMMERCIAL CAPITAL OF THE COUNTRY IS LEFT WITH
DUMBOS LIKE WCAM1 2 OR 3 !

PORAS P.SAKLATWALLA
TEL :5773535/3636
EXT :4226/4232/4237


Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: VIRAF P.. MULLA <>

Subject: Re: WAG 9 SIGHTED AT VALSAD

Date: 06 Apr 1999 19:37:49 -0500



Porus I have seen these locos at Palghar and Saphale - which is 72 Kms
from Bombay Central. Yes they come so close to Bombay.

==========================
Viraf Mulla
C-20/14, Jeevan Bima Nagar,
Borivali (West)
Mumbai 400103
Tel: +91-22-8954510
E-mail: sncf@godrej.email
==========================

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: WAG 9 SIGHTED AT VALSAD was motive power in the Mumbai div

Date: 07 Apr 1999 01:56:56 -0500


Gang !

My guess is that GZB shed gets the latest locos so that they can be
thrashed
on the high speed trunks towards HWH via MGS and towards BRC.
However like Anand mentions the new WDP 2 is going to be homed at GOC,
the
latest WDG 4 will be homed at UBL (Hubli !) and the stud freight powers
WAG
6 etc are actually homed at VSKP for the Waltair Kirandul line. Also the
ASN
shed homes a number of WAG 9s. What about the WAP powers from BRC ?
So I would conclude that the Gaziabad shed does not necessarily home all
the
best and newest powers.
Even the locos like WCAM 2/3 are quite sophisticated if the features are
to
be listed. They are powerful - 5000 HP. They feature high adhesion
bogies,
centralised fault monitoring, servo control for the resistor and
transformer
tap selection, and inverted 400 Hz AC three phase internal power bus
for
aux machines like compressors, blowers. These locos climb the steepest
ghats
on the electrified section on the IR on a daily basis. Also these are
the
only new dual voltage locos in the country !
Only the 1.5 KvDC system is antiquated so we see the same locos all the
time
in Mumbai and Pune. It is common to see a loco leaving Pune in the
morning
on say the Deccan Queen to return to Pune in the late afternoon by the
7031
down. Later this loco may be seen on the 1845 Hrs. Indrayani Express to
Mumbai.

Apurva

Krishnan Anand wrote:

> Hi Poras and Appu,
> A small correction to what Poras says. Its just the
> North that gets the latest and houses the super powers. Hardly does
the
> south get to even see such powerhorses. It is said that the WDP would
be
> housed in Trichy . That would probably be the only latest offering to
> the south by the RM. South just houses WAM4s, WAP1,4s, WAG5,7s and of
> course the ever reliable WDMs. I guess other zones have a share of
these
> too. But North is exeptional. I am sure all will agree with me. I only
> miss my Chennai-mate whom we lost recently. He would have surely
> supported my arguement.
>
> regds,
> Anand

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: STOP PRESS!

Date: 07 Apr 1999 02:06:56 -0500


Thanks for the news Henry, looking at your email address are you from
the
Railroad Dev Corp ?

Apurva

Henry Posner III wrote:

> YP's 2257 and 2805, currently working on the Rajkot Division, were
recently
> purchased by Railroad Development Corporation of the USA, in the
interest of
> preserving the locomotives and ultimately operating them on one of its
> railways in the future.
>
> The locomotives will be overhauled at Ajmer and stored there pending
> determination of their ultimate destination.
>
> RDC is an international railway investment and management company,with
> operations in the USA (1435mm.gauge), Argentina (1435 and 1676mm.
gauges)
> and Guatemala (914 mm. gauge). It is hoped that future investments
will
> include some parts of the meter gauge world; alternatively, it may be
> possible to regauge the YP for operation in Guatemala by applying
extra-wide
> tires (Spoornet has done this on Cape-Gauge diesels to allow them to
run on
> meter gauge in Brazil).
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Harsh Vardhan [mailto:champa@del3.email
> Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 6:50 AM
> To: Apurva Bahadur
> Cc: India Rail Fan Page
> Subject: Re: STOP PRESS!
>
> My friend did mention that earlier 2813 was to go but since Wankaner
powers
> are more battered(as you earlier mentioned), 2805 was choosen finally.
2813
> has indeed worked at Sabarmati and Jetalsar before arriving at
Wankaner.
>
> Iam sure he would be very thrilled if this was going to UK which is
home
> country.
>
> Harsh
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@vsnl.email
> To: Harsh Vardhan <hvc@vsnl.email
> Cc: Donald L. Mills, Jr <dmills@MARSHALL.email Dipl.-Ing. Nikolaus
Sbarounis
> <sbaros@excite.email India Rail Fan Page <irfca@cs.email
> Date: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 12:48 AM
> Subject: Re: STOP PRESS!
>
> >While we were in Wankaner between the 9th and 12th of Jan
> >1999, we did see the
> >YP 2813 which was supposed to be exported to UK (not USA). I
> >am quite sure about
> >the loco number as this was the ex Sabarmati power that Viraf
> >and Sarosh footplated
> >on an earlier trip, although I am not sure about the final
> >destination of the
> >loco.
> >
> >Apurva
> >
> >Harsh Vardhan wrote:
> >
> >> These locos are syill in India awaiting some cosmetic work. Will
pass on
> any
> >> news received about their destination. Loco No.s are YP 2250 and
2805
> which
> >> were seen last in a fairly good shape.
> >>
> >> Iam not certain if these will actually be run in the USA or just
> plinthed.
> >> But laying new tracks I suppose is hardly a job compared to
importing a
> >> locomotive.
> >>
> >> Harsh
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: Donald L. Mills, Jr <dmills@MARSHALL.email
> >> To: Harsh Vardhan <hvc@vsnl.email
> >> Cc: India Rail Fan Page <irfca@cs.email
> >> Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 7:06 AM
> >> Subject: Re: STOP PRESS!
> >>
> >> >Harsh or Anyone,
> >> >Does anyone know where these engines are coming in the US. This
might
> be
> >> >my only was of seeing one of these in person. I also want to see
them
> >> >before the Touist Railroad renumbers or redoes any part of the
engines.
> >> >Don in West Virginia
> >> >
> >> >----------
> >> >From: Harsh Vardhan <champa@del3.email
> >> >To: VIRAF P.. MULLA <sncf@godrej.email Indian Railway Fan Club
> Association
> >> ><irfca@cs.email
> >> >Subject: STOP PRESS!
> >> >Date: Monday, March 08, 1999 7:58 AM
> >> >
> >> > STEAM UPDATE
> >> >
> >> >Wankaner is the last bastion of steam on IR on the normal
passenger
> >> >services(non mountain/tourist section).
> >> >
> >> >Steam workings have finished in Jetalsar and Mhow recently as
reported
> by a
> >> >traveller(Can anyone else confirm this).
> >> >
> >> >Two YP(numbers not clear) locomotives from Wankaner are to go to
USA for
> >> >working tourist specials by preservation groups(destinations
unknown).
> >> >
> >> >YG 3724 from Wankaner has been transferred to Rewari as surplus
power
> for
> >> >`Royal Orient'.
> >> >
> >> >Harsh
> >> >
> >> >
> >
> >

From: Sridhar Shankar <>

Subject: WDG4s delivered!

Date: 07 Apr 1999 06:18:55 -0500


Folks,

The WDG4s have apparently arrived. Saw a brief note here on the TV Asia
news (of all places), which showed them being unloaded from a cargo
vessel. They look similar to the ones in Larry's site, and are in a
yellow
and white livery (that is surely new for IR). The loco they profiled had
a
12004 numbering indicating a 12000 series classification.

They also interviewed some guy who indicated that they would start
manufacturing these at Varanasi fairly soon.

Also, I will post a note on China Railways once I develop the pictures.

-Sridhar

****************************************************************

Sridhar Shankar 1616 E. 50th Place, Apt.13A
GSB MBA '99 Chicago, IL 60615
University of Chicago (773) 752 1131
*****************************************************************

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: WDG4s delivered!

Date: 07 Apr 1999 08:55:08 -0500


Arrived at ? Mumbai, I trust ?

Apurva

Sridhar Shankar wrote:

> Folks,
>
> The WDG4s have apparently arrived. Saw a brief note here on the TV
Asia
> news (of all places), which showed them being unloaded from a cargo
> vessel. They look similar to the ones in Larry's site, and are in a
yellow
> and white livery (that is surely new for IR). The loco they profiled
had a
> 12004 numbering indicating a 12000 series classification.
>
> They also interviewed some guy who indicated that they would start
> manufacturing these at Varanasi fairly soon.
>
> Also, I will post a note on China Railways once I develop the
pictures.
>
> -Sridhar
>
> ****************************************************************
> Sridhar Shankar 1616 E. 50th Place, Apt.13A
> GSB MBA '99 Chicago, IL 60615
> University of Chicago (773) 752 1131
> *****************************************************************

From: S Pai <>

Subject: WAG 9 SIGHTED AT VALSAD

Date: 07 Apr 1999 18:00:27 -0500



> Spotted a WAG 9 AT Bulsar on Sunday at 9.00 am hauling a goods
> train. Looked classy to me with "Balwant" written on it.

I guess IR has begun to re-use names with a short turn-around time.
Wasn't "Balwant" the name of the first WCAM2 too? You'd think they
could be a little more creative. As it is, hardly any locos seem to
carry names these days, only anonymous numbers.

--Satish

From: Rail 2000 Inc <>

Subject: WDM1 Alco diesels

Date: 07 Apr 1999 18:16:44 -0500


Hi,

Greetings from Australia. My name is Mark Carter and I am a freelance
journalist specialising in rail transport issues. I am currently
preparing
an article on the Alco 'World' series class of locomotives, 137 of which
originally operated in Australia, but of which only one remains in
commercial service.

In India they were known as the WDM1 class and I was wondering whether
any
remain in serice with the Indian Railways. I saw some on the Southern
Eastern Railway at Nagpur and at Samsatipur on the NE Railway in 1983
and
others at Gorakphur on the NE Railway in 1988.

Does anybody know if any still remain in service today?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Mark Carter

From: Mike Brooker <>

Subject: codes for Indian rail

Date: 07 Apr 1999 19:45:11 -0500



>
>My guess is that GZB shed gets the latest locos so that they can be
thrashed
>on the high speed trunks towards HWH via MGS and towards BRC.
>However like Anand mentions the new WDP 2 is going to be homed at GOC,
the
>latest WDG 4 will be homed at UBL (Hubli !) and the stud freight powers
WAG
>6 etc are actually homed at VSKP for the Waltair Kirandul line. Also
the
ASN
>shed homes a number of WAG 9s. What about the WAP powers from BRC ?

Namaskar. Could someone please send me a listing of the 3 or 4-letter
codes
for Indian Railways stations? Or a link to a website where such a
listing
is available. A few I can guess at with some certainty -- HWH = Howrah,
and
I know a few from my travels in India (e.g. NDLS=New Delhi). But
without a
list, the above paragraph doesn't make much sense to someone like me who
lives in Canada and has never been an employee of IR. It would be nice
to
have a list that I can keep close to my computer for reference.



********************************************************************
Mike Brooker
99 Wychcrest Ave.,
Toronto, ON M6G 3X8
CANADA
(416) 536-7406
********************************************************************

From: VIRAF P.. MULLA <>

Subject: Re: codes for Indian rail

Date: 07 Apr 1999 22:34:44 -0500



Gang,

I fully agree with Mike, we should have a list of station codes. I
confess
that at times I get confused too.

Viraf




On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Mike Brooker wrote:

>
> >
> >My guess is that GZB shed gets the latest locos so that they can be
> thrashed
> >on the high speed trunks towards HWH via MGS and towards BRC.
> >However like Anand mentions the new WDP 2 is going to be homed at
GOC, the
> >latest WDG 4 will be homed at UBL (Hubli !) and the stud freight
powers WAG
> >6 etc are actually homed at VSKP for the Waltair Kirandul line. Also
the
> ASN
> >shed homes a number of WAG 9s. What about the WAP powers from BRC ?
>
> Namaskar. Could someone please send me a listing of the 3 or 4-letter
codes
> for Indian Railways stations? Or a link to a website where such a
listing
> is available. A few I can guess at with some certainty -- HWH =
Howrah, and
> I know a few from my travels in India (e.g. NDLS=New Delhi). But
without a
> list, the above paragraph doesn't make much sense to someone like me
who
> lives in Canada and has never been an employee of IR. It would be
nice to
> have a list that I can keep close to my computer for reference.
>
>
>
> ********************************************************************
> Mike Brooker
> 99 Wychcrest Ave.,
> Toronto, ON M6G 3X8
> CANADA
> (416) 536-7406
> ********************************************************************
>

==========================
Viraf Mulla
C-20/14, Jeevan Bima Nagar,
Borivali (West)
Mumbai 400103
Tel: +91-22-8954510
E-mail: sncf@godrej.email
==========================

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Some new trains

Date: 08 Apr 1999 01:35:59 -0500


Gang !

The Diva - Sawantwadi express was launched recently. The train
would be supplemented/ replaced by the Mumbai CSTM - Madgaon
intercity express by June. There are no more details like the
train number or the timings.
The South Central Railway has announced many holiday specials.
Many of these run in the slots of the weekly Swaran Jayanti
Expresses. One interesting holiday special is Vasco - Chennai
Express. This seems to be the first train out of the BG
converted Vasco station, while all other new trains seem to
prefer Madgaon. This train travels Vasco - Madgaon - Mangalore
- Shroranur and then following the regular route via Arkonam
to Chennai. It would be interesting to see this train hauled
via the Briganza ghat (Castle Roack - Kulem) which is complete
but not authorised
from passenger traffic yet.
The new Indian Railway Mag has details of freight operation
through the Briganza ghat. The SCR is running mineral specials
with 4800 tonnes BOX wagons from Hospet to Vasco (or Murmogoa
harbour) for export. For such heavy trains the triple WDM 2
power is used. During the return trip the rake is hauled by
the triple WDM 2 in the front and a further three WDM 2
banking the rake through the ghats. These locos have a
special brake arrangement which will not allow them to exceed
28 Kmph inadvertently while working downhill. The crew have
been specially trained to handle engine failure etc in the
steep ghat section and control the train in case of any
mishap.

Apurva

The content of the individual messages displayed here is subject to copyright by the original authors and may not be reproduced outside the context of IRFCA without permission.
Note: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways! The official web site of Indian Railways is: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in
Site contact: webmaster@irfca.org
Copyright © 2010, IRFCA.org. About IRFCA  Contact Us  Search this site  Site Map  Links   Acknowledgements  Legal Information & Disclaimers