IRFCA Mailing List Archive

Messages 3141 - 3160

Previous 20 Messages          Archive Index          Next 20 Messages

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: Scenes at the railway station

Date: 15 Jul 1998 10:42:15 -0500


C.L.Zeni wrote:

> Apurva Bahadur wrote:
> > Among the strange observation I saw today was that the WCAM 3 drops
its
> > pantograph once it is coupled to the load and just after it has
brought
> > in a train, goes totally silent for a few moments and then comes
alive
> > once more as the panto is raised once again. The same two bar panto
is
> > raised in the DC section, but the loco is definitely switched off
for
> > some time after being coupled and before being decoupled. Maybe to
> > switch some electrical machine. I will find out soon.
>
> I suspect that the pans are dropped for some sort of safety concerns,
> ie, electrocution. In Zürich, which is a stub-ended station, a train
> will pull in and stop with its loco about 2m from the end. The pan is
> lowered, a trainman hops between the loco and first car and breaks the
> coupling, air brakes, and power for train lighting connections. Once
> done, he signals for the pan to be raised again and the loco moves
> forward a metre or so. At nearly the same time they are bringing a
loco
> on to what was the rear of the train. This one pulls up till the
> buffers are compressed then lowers its pan. The coupling, air and
train
> lighting are connected up, the man gets clear and signals for the pan
to
> go back up. The train then leaves - total time about three minutes.
> The original loco follows the train about, trailing by 30-40 metres,
> takes a different route and usually slips into one of the short
"pocket"
> tracks to become the leading loco on yet another train. Fascinating
to
> watch, a very busy station and very friendly to train watchers.
>

Hi Craig,

Although it is a great scene you have described in Zurich, this is not
the
case at Pune. Note that the 'hotel' loads on the Indian trains are never
sourced from the loco. On the IR the head end generator or End on
Generator is the
last coach containing a genset (what is referred to as the Rajdhani
power
car) and this is found only in fully air-conditioned trains like
Rajdhani
[obviously :)] and the Shatabdi.
The trains I saw yesterday were 1022 Up Indrayani Exp (outgoing) and
1009 Dn
Sinhagad Exp (Incoming) which are really commuter trains.
What I understand in the Swiss method is that the heavy currents and
high
voltages of the hotel loads is the reason that the panto is dropped.
On the IR this question does not arise. I have seen locos being coupled
in the past so many years countless times, but never this.
The WCAM 3 dropping panto is a new practice, started only in the last
few months. The dual voltage WCAM 3 is relatively new and modifications
to the operating procedures is very likely.

A quick chat with any driver will solve the mystery, I will let you know
the exact reason soon.

Apurva Bahadur

From: Vadi Elumalai <>

Subject: Re: Finishing touches to Tiruchi-Chennai BG line

Date: 15 Jul 1998 11:17:24 -0500


> PORAS P.SAKLATWALLA
> TEL :5773535/3636
> EXT :4226/4232/4237
>
> Hi,
> Will this converted BG line be fully electrified or will it be WDM
HAULED
> TRAINS. Well imagine a Rajdhani between New Delhi and say Kanyakumari
or
> Kodai Road which is hauled by 2 WDM'S
> PLEASE SEND MORE INFO ON THIS LINE.


Poras,

This line is only partially electrified, ie., from Chennai to
Villupuram. I hope SR electrifies Villupuram to Madurai soon. Once
Tiruchi - Madurai BG link is completed, we can have a NEW (not in place
of GT/TN) Madurai-NDLS Meenakshi Express. Regarding Rajdhani, you can
only imagine since neither KanyaK nor Kodai Road is a state capital.

-Vadi

From: Shanku Niyogi <>

Subject: Re: Scenes at the railway station

Date: 15 Jul 1998 11:35:49 -0500


Isn't the WCAM3 supposed to be an upgrade to the WCAM2 (more or less)?
If
so, why does it haul commuter expresses while the WCAM2 handles
superfasts?
Just curious.

Shanku



-----Original Message-----
From: Apurva Bahadur [mailto:iti@giaspn01.email
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 1998 10:42 AM
To: clzeni@mindspring.email Indian Railways Info Zone
Subject: Re: Scenes at the railway station

Although it is a great scene you have described in Zurich, this is not
the
case at Pune. Note that the 'hotel' loads on the Indian trains are never
sourced from the loco. On the IR the head end generator or End on
Generator is the
last coach containing a genset (what is referred to as the Rajdhani
power
car) and this is found only in fully air-conditioned trains like
Rajdhani
[obviously :)] and the Shatabdi.
The trains I saw yesterday were 1022 Up Indrayani Exp (outgoing) and
1009 Dn
Sinhagad Exp (Incoming) which are really commuter trains.
What I understand in the Swiss method is that the heavy currents and
high
voltages of the hotel loads is the reason that the panto is dropped.
On the IR this question does not arise. I have seen locos being coupled
in the past so many years countless times, but never this.
The WCAM 3 dropping panto is a new practice, started only in the last
few months. The dual voltage WCAM 3 is relatively new and modifications
to the operating procedures is very likely.

A quick chat with any driver will solve the mystery, I will let you know
the exact reason soon.

Apurva Bahadur

From: Vijay Balasubramanian <>

Subject: Re: Finishing touches to Tiruchi-Chennai BG line

Date: 15 Jul 1998 14:21:18 -0500



> The final tests have been conducted before the opening of the
> 350 km converted broad guage track between Tiruchi and Chennai
> on August 1. The work of ensuring proper packing of ballast around
> each of the pre-stressed concrete sleepers, on the track between
> Tiruchi-Villupuram has been completed, and the final testing of
> the bridge over the Cauvery was completed on Monday.
>
If you check out the <A HREF="http://www.redifindia.com/travel/tretc.htm">http://www.redifindia.com/travel/tretc.htm</A> page,
then under new trains for this year, there is a tri-weekly
Howrah-Tiruchi Exp. It most probably would use the newly converted
Chennai-Tiruchi line. Wonder, whether it'll share its Howrah-Chennai
schedule with one of the two packs - Patna-Cochin..... Exps.,
Howrah-Bangalore......Exps.

Vijay
---
Dr. Vijay Balasubramanian
Noblestar Systems
58 Charles St., Cambridge, MA 02141
Tel: (617) 252-3322, Fax: (617) 252-3311
vbalasubramanian@noblestar.email

Currently working at - Cross Country Group
(781) 306-3075 (Tel.), (781) 393-4902 (Fax)

Hotmail access: vijay_642@hotmail.email

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: VIRAF P.. MULLA <>

Subject: New Train?

Date: 15 Jul 1998 19:14:25 -0500



Good Morning Everyone,

Is there a new train on Western railway by the name of Lok Shakti
Express?
I saw it today morning at 5.38 on my way to work. It had stopped at
Borivali. It's rake consisted of a Brakevan at each end, 2 nos
unreserved
second class, then all 2nd class sleepers. There were No A/C or First
Class coaches. The destination board showed Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Ahmedabad.
Normally everyday Gujarat Mail runs parallel with my EMU today I was
quite
surprised to see this train.

==========================
Viraf Mulla
C-20/14, Jeevan Bima Nagar,
Borivali (West)
Mumbai 400103
Tel: +91-22-8954510
E-mail: sncf@godrejnet.email
==========================

From: Shanku Niyogi <>

Subject: Re: New Train?

Date: 15 Jul 1998 19:39:49 -0500


From an earlier email on the list, by Poras (I've been archiving all the
email in hopes of getting it on the web):

"I am back after a brief lull since I was busy with work. Can anybody
tell me when is the Kurla Howrah A/c Express having its inaugural run
from
Mumbai ? Well IR has done it again -: first it was Janata trains then
it was swarnajayanti trains and now the latest is LOK SHAKTI EXPRESS
FROM
BCT TO AHMEDABAD. The above train is in place of 7dn Ahmedabad janata
Express. Timings are same but the train is super stopper halting at
most
of the small stations, and the original 7DN has been converted to Bandra
Terminus - Jaipur express and the no. is still 9307 dn."

-----Original Message-----
From: VIRAF P.. MULLA [mailto:sncf@godrejnet.email
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 1998 7:14 PM
To: irfca@cs.email
Subject: New Train?



Good Morning Everyone,

Is there a new train on Western railway by the name of Lok Shakti
Express?
I saw it today morning at 5.38 on my way to work. It had stopped at
Borivali. It's rake consisted of a Brakevan at each end, 2 nos
unreserved
second class, then all 2nd class sleepers. There were No A/C or First
Class coaches. The destination board showed Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Ahmedabad.
Normally everyday Gujarat Mail runs parallel with my EMU today I was
quite
surprised to see this train.

==========================
Viraf Mulla
C-20/14, Jeevan Bima Nagar,
Borivali (West)
Mumbai 400103
Tel: +91-22-8954510
E-mail: sncf@godrejnet.email
==========================

From: Shashi Date <>

Subject: Any info on New Trains to Jodhpur?

Date: 16 Jul 1998 03:24:51 -0500


Hi everyone:
Can someone help me by letting me know new trains between
Mumbai/and/or/Ahmedabad and Jodhpur? Names the timings for to/from
Thanks. =Shashi Date.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at <A HREF="http://www.hotmail.com">http://www.hotmail.com</A>

From: Philippe Quiot (TOG Devt. SA) <>

Subject: Re: railcar design ideas

Date: 16 Jul 1998 05:25:41 -0500


Hello,

Sorry, I lost the thread about these railbuses...

For french based projects, we are seriously discussing
about very simple railbuses with off-the-shelf
transmissions and liquid-gas engines...

Reason is SNCF is losing its monopoly
and cities or other communities try to get
organized for rail services...

If you ask SNCF for service on a branchline,
they will ask "millions" of monetary units
(whatever the unit...)
before even thinking about it...

Example comes from private railways
in the tourism area where they prove that they can
run trains at low cost, and these guys now are
asked to make plans to become possible
operators for aboandonned branch lines...

What is the idea re: I.R. branch lines ?

sank@telco.email wrote:
>
> > A great group of rail travelers and train enthusiasts like
yourselves
> > should be able to come up with a drawing of a small railcars or
vehicles
> > designed to carry a limited number of passengers and mail, with some
fuel
> > efficiency that could be electric, diesel, natural gas or even
solar.
> .........
> > Anyone out there think I'm Crazy, or do you think this ideal has
merit?
> > Let us know.
>
> As an automobile designer I think this is a GREAT idea.
> Similiar competitions are held worldwide to generate ideas
> for automobiles. Why not rail vehicles too, considering that
> they are already more efficient than road-vehicles ?
>
> And I can then redeem my soul, corrupted by years of
> sacrilegious road-vehicle design.....:)
>
> --
> Jayant S : ID Studio : Tata Technologies India Limited
> Telco Premises : Pimpri : PUNE : 411 018 : INDIA
> TEL 91(212)774261 ext 2534 : FAX 91(212)773191

--

===================================================================
TOG Devt. S.A. "IXpert" Philippe QUIOT
CH - 1092 Belmont tog-sa@he.email
internet/intranet consulting ( )
___ ____________ ( _ )
_________|___||____________| _____ | |
| [ ] |[ ] |___||___|_____|____|_|__|-|
______|__________[__] |[_____] |---------//-\\----|-----|
[ ] | |________//___\\ | )
[ Px48 ] | | | (________)\\__|_____|
[_____________________]==|_________|-|----/-\----/ -\--___\\|-
|=| ====== ====== |_________|_| - / - \ /-----(___)\\=|=|
| (O)(O) (O)(O) (O)-(O) /(O)-(O)/ |
===================================================================
"Times of Glory" trade/consulting in railway/travel/tourism areas
tog@bahnhofplatz.email
<A HREF="http://www.bahnhofplatz.com/">http://www.bahnhofplatz.com/</A>

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: Scenes at the railway station

Date: 16 Jul 1998 06:49:23 -0500


The WCAM3 handles all the mail/expresses on the Mumbai -Pune routes,
rarely you
will see a WCM 2, WCG 2 or a WCM 5. WCM 1 are no longer seen at Pune.
WCAM 2s
are rarely outside the WR, except at crossover points like Diva or Wadi
bunder.

Apurva

Shanku Niyogi wrote:

> Isn't the WCAM3 supposed to be an upgrade to the WCAM2 (more or less)?
If
> so, why does it haul commuter expresses while the WCAM2 handles
superfasts?
> Just curious.
>
> Shanku
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Apurva Bahadur [mailto:iti@giaspn01.email
> Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 1998 10:42 AM
> To: clzeni@mindspring.email Indian Railways Info Zone
> Subject: Re: Scenes at the railway station
>
> Although it is a great scene you have described in Zurich, this is not
> the
> case at Pune. Note that the 'hotel' loads on the Indian trains are
never
> sourced from the loco. On the IR the head end generator or End on
> Generator is the
> last coach containing a genset (what is referred to as the Rajdhani
> power
> car) and this is found only in fully air-conditioned trains like
> Rajdhani
> [obviously :)] and the Shatabdi.
> The trains I saw yesterday were 1022 Up Indrayani Exp (outgoing) and
> 1009 Dn
> Sinhagad Exp (Incoming) which are really commuter trains.
> What I understand in the Swiss method is that the heavy currents and
> high
> voltages of the hotel loads is the reason that the panto is dropped.
> On the IR this question does not arise. I have seen locos being
coupled
> in the past so many years countless times, but never this.
> The WCAM 3 dropping panto is a new practice, started only in the last
> few months. The dual voltage WCAM 3 is relatively new and
modifications
> to the operating procedures is very likely.
>
> A quick chat with any driver will solve the mystery, I will let you
know
> the exact reason soon.
>
> Apurva Bahadur

From: BSR SHARMA <>

Subject: Diesel engines with mechanical transmission.

Date: 16 Jul 1998 09:33:34 -0500


Whatever happened to Suri & Nayar's Diesel Shunters
that were being manufactured at Whitefield near
Bangalore? (atleast during '70s & '80s?)

B.S.R.Sharma







_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at <A HREF="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com</A>

From: Peter Mosse <>

Subject: Re: single-unit diesel vehicles

Date: 16 Jul 1998 09:54:13 -0500


Shanku Niyoqi wrote:

>
> One pretty durable rail car I saw was in use in Bolivia, I believe. In
> Michael Palin's "Full Circle" series, he rode this railcar across
Bolivia.
> It was a 50+ year old vehicle of German construction and formerly used
in
> Switzerland. Looked (kind of) like a long bus, built like a tank (at
least
> given the amount of wear it gets).

========

I've travelled on these in Bolivia and they are pretty comfortable and
fast. Some are power cars (though only driven from one end) and others
are
trailer units. However I don't think it would ever be possible to run
them
with more than one trailer, at least not in Bolivia, anyway, where
gradients are often severe. The power cars also have tiny kitchens at
the
rear and the food that comes out of them can be surprisingly good.

Peter Mosse

From: Shanku Niyogi <>

Subject: Re: New Train?

Date: 16 Jul 1998 10:44:00 -0500


Forwarding this message which was sent to me personally.

-----Original Message-----
From: Milind Thekedar [mailto:milindthekedar@yahoo.email
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 1998 10:15 AM
To: Shanku Niyogi
Subject: RE: New Train?


Hallo
Anybody have an idia about timings & datesof proposed Kurla- Howrah &
Kurla Nagpur weekly
A/C Express?
Milind





---Shanku Niyogi wrote:
>
> From an earlier email on the list, by Poras (I've been archiving all
the
> email in hopes of getting it on the web):
>
> "I am back after a brief lull since I was busy with work. Can
anybody
> tell me when is the Kurla Howrah A/c Express having its inaugural
run from
> Mumbai ? Well IR has done it again -: first it was Janata trains
then
> it was swarnajayanti trains and now the latest is LOK SHAKTI EXPRESS
FROM
> BCT TO AHMEDABAD. The above train is in place of 7dn Ahmedabad janata
> Express. Timings are same but the train is super stopper halting at
most
> of the small stations, and the original 7DN has been converted to
Bandra
> Terminus - Jaipur express and the no. is still 9307 dn."
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: VIRAF P.. MULLA [mailto:sncf@godrejnet.email
> Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 1998 7:14 PM
> To: irfca@cs.email
> Subject: New Train?
>
>
>
> Good Morning Everyone,
>
> Is there a new train on Western railway by the name of Lok Shakti
Express?
> I saw it today morning at 5.38 on my way to work. It had stopped at
> Borivali. It's rake consisted of a Brakevan at each end, 2 nos
unreserved
> second class, then all 2nd class sleepers. There were No A/C or First
> Class coaches. The destination board showed
Ahmedabad-Mumbai-Ahmedabad.
> Normally everyday Gujarat Mail runs parallel with my EMU today I was
quite
> surprised to see this train.
>
> ==========================
> Viraf Mulla
> C-20/14, Jeevan Bima Nagar,
> Borivali (West)
> Mumbai 400103
> Tel: +91-22-8954510
> E-mail: sncf@godrejnet.email
> ==========================
>

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at <A HREF="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com</A>

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Strange Vehicles

Date: 16 Jul 1998 10:44:53 -0500


Hi Gang,

Why look as far as Sri Lanka, when Telco vehicles with rail wheels are
all over Konkan Rail ? Here is a Telco tipper truck at Verna station
The truck is coming in from Old Goa (actually a sparkling new station,
just that the place is know as 'Old') side. Accelerates quite fast and
is
an acceptable solution during the mad rush to complete the Konkan Rail,
quite economical too. Jayant, what is the price of Telco truck today ? I
wonder how these things are turned ? Are these rail cum road ?
I have another picture somewhere, you will see it soon.
The bright headlight in the distance is the Plasser tie tamper coming on
the same line.
<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Telco1.jpg">http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Telco1.jpg</A>

Here is a look at the Plasser machine. Can anyone explain the correct
working of the busy looking Plasser machine ? Note the huge Diesel Shed
coming up at Verna for Konkan Rail use.
<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Plasser1.jpg">http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Plasser1.jpg</A>

Here is a strange beast. This is a mobile Gangman's trolley. It carries
a small cache of stores required for track laying and maintenance.
Normally the departmental works train carried the material, but some of
the new track at Goa cannot sustain a heavy train yet (the pics are from
last year July 97). In any case the quantity required at the work site
may be small and does not justify the entire works train, hence this
vehicle. The other views are the left and right of the vehicle. One
windscreen is broken and allows slender Sabu Nair to enter the cab even
if the door is locked. The vehicle carries no marking of ownership of
of manufacturer.
<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Gang1.jpg">http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Gang1.jpg</A>
<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Gang2.jpg">http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Gang2.jpg</A>
<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Gang3.jpg">http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/Gang3.jpg</A>

Not such a strange beast, here is a pair of mighty WDG 2s with a regular
short hood. I think the newer WDG 2s have 'regular' but longer short
hoods. Note the reversed door arrangement and an additional door in the
short hood (to store MU cables ? - that normally lie on the floor of the
cab, being trampled on). The pic is by super railnut Sundar
Krishnamurthy at Gooty. He will soon upload these pix to his website
along with his spicy comments. I couldn't resist scanning this pic as
the thread of the WDG 2 is still very hot.
<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/WDG2.jpg">http://members.tripod.com/~ApuB/Strange/WDG2.jpg</A>

Apurva

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: Re: Scenes at the railway station

Date: 16 Jul 1998 10:53:26 -0500


Message & reply forwarded for the gang to read & react on.

C.L.Zeni wrote:

> Apurva Bahadur wrote:
> > Hi Craig,
> >
> > Although it is a great scene you have described in Zurich, this is
not
> > the
> > case at Pune. Note that the 'hotel' loads on the Indian trains are
never
> > sourced from the loco. On the IR the head end generator or End on
> > Generator is the
> > last coach containing a genset (what is referred to as the Rajdhani
> > power
> > car) and this is found only in fully air-conditioned trains like
> > Rajdhani
> > [obviously :)] and the Shatabdi.
> > The trains I saw yesterday were 1022 Up Indrayani Exp (outgoing) and
> > 1009 Dn
> > Sinhagad Exp (Incoming) which are really commuter trains.
> > What I understand in the Swiss method is that the heavy currents and
> > high
> > voltages of the hotel loads is the reason that the panto is dropped.
> > On the IR this question does not arise. I have seen locos being
coupled
> > in the past so many years countless times, but never this.
> > The WCAM 3 dropping panto is a new practice, started only in the
last
> > few months. The dual voltage WCAM 3 is relatively new and
modifications
> > to the operating procedures is very likely.
> >
> > A quick chat with any driver will solve the mystery, I will let you
know
> > the exact reason soon.
>
> Hmmm. I'd still bet it's a safety thing, concerned with grounding of
> the unit thru the railwayman or trying to prevent that as it'd be
fatal.
>
> On rakes that are not fully A/C, how are A/C cars powered? I've
ridden
> from Mumbai to Surat on a train that was not fully A/C, but rode in an
> A/C car. Have also ridden in non-A/C from Surat to Vapi, which I
found
> to be much more interesting. We stopped at a station (regret that I
> don't recall the name) where the locomotive was changed. With the
open
> windows I was able to take in the entire scene at the station, and
with
> the open doors lean out and watch the action. Great fun.
> --

Craig,

A procedure which would instantly kill a man is just too dangerous too
contemplate. Certainly not on the IR where the ghastly incident will
happen
often. This is not a safety issue. It is a WCAM 3 issue. The other DC
locos do
not down their pantos during coupling. One observation which I would
like to
repeat on the IRFCA is that the AC locos WAM 4 etc strictly travel with
their
trailing panto, even in a small siding, the loco downs its panto and
raises
the trailing panto, although I have seen pics of AC locos (WAP 1)
traveling at
high speeds with their leading panto up. DC locos usually shunt with
their
trailing panto for the majority of the travel in place. I have seen DC
locos
shunt from the 'wrong' cab as well.
The regular A/C coaches are self generating with a brushless alternator
charging 110 V batteries. The trains with End of Generator (Shatabdi &
Rajdhani) lack this charging system.

Apurva

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: [Fwd: Calcutta Trams

Date: 16 Jul 1998 10:56:49 -0500


Great info posted by Anne, shared with you all.

Anne O. wrote:

> > Thanks Anne for the drawing of the 'point'. While the train uses a
panto which
> > brushes the undeside of the catenary wire, the tram's wheel actually
rides above
> > the wire, is that right ?
>
> You have to understand, I'm assuming the Calcutta trams are using
> ordinary trolley poles, but no, the wheel rolls on the underside of
the
> wire. The pole is held up against the wire by springs on the base of
the
> pole.
>
> Usually there's a length of rope running from the top of the pole to
the
> end of the car, where there's a bell shaped gizmo called a recoil
unit.
> This thing winds up the rope.
>
> Occasionally the wheel comes off (called "unwiring") and the motorman
> has to go
> around to the back of the car, pull the pole down, and then jockey it
> back onto the wire.
>
> The only reason to use a wheel rather than a wiper is that the wheel
> doesn't unwire as often. You can start an interesting debate amongst
> trolley types by asking whether sliders or wheels are better.

From: Apurva Bahadur <>

Subject: telco & railways

Date: 16 Jul 1998 11:06:49 -0500




Jayant S wrote:

> > Jayant- Saw a picture of the Telco-built bus. Definately looks like
a
> > tourist bus. If they had put it all in glass (like a full dome car)
with
> > no metal roof it might have passed a little more train like. whats
the
> > energy consumption like on those. How many passengers can it haul
and
> > does it have the baggage area in the bottom like many tourist buses'
in
> > this country? If it does it can haul mail and if would beat no
train at
> > all. Don in WV
> Judging by the specs, it is a standard 130 hp Telco bus chassis, very
> common in India. Buses here are not integral and are built on
> truck-type chassis. In India, The same type of bus is used on tourist
> as well as city applications. Tourist versions are sometimes seen
> with higher floors, allowing underfloor stowage of baggage. Capacity
> is around 50, though this depends on chassis variants.
>
> Though Telco is long out of the railroad business, I think it would
> be relatively easy to design a railcar around our considerable
> range of commercial road-vehicle aggregates, suitable for
> any gauge, if required. IR at present does not have technology
> for small diesels with mechanical transmission, which is required.

JayantIs a hydraulic transmission / torque converter essential for a
rail
vehicle? I know that even the newly introduced MG railbus has KPC /
Voith
transmission and a Cummins engine. A Telco bus based rail vehicle would
be a
very good solution for lines such as Pune - Jejuri, which has an
upcoming
industrial area, a railway line but no easy transport (both road and
rail).
What does Telco management feel about a new possible thrust in the rail
business ? Leyland (your competitor) has been supplying engines for the
4
wheeler and 8 wheeler overhead wiring cars for many years now.

Apurva

From: GlynThomas <>

Subject: Re: World Records

Date: 16 Jul 1998 12:09:22 -0500


Folks,
I was surprised that noone responded to Prakash's question about
compounding
in his note on World records.

Briefly, compounding on steam locos is a design which reuses the steam
exhausted from the cylinders, which is still quite high pressure.
Compound
locos exhaust the steam from the high pressure cylinders into a second
set of
low pressure cylinders to use the remaining energy. While in theory this
is
more efficient, I take it that the reuse actually reduces the power
available
in the high pressure cylinders.

This design was popular in Europe, especially in France. It was less
popular
in the UK due to the increased complexity of the locos, and the fact
that
drivers needed extra training to optimise its use. I suspect that India
followed UK practice. Comments?

Glyn Thomas

From: Prakash Tendulkar <>

Subject: Re: World Records

Date: 16 Jul 1998 12:29:52 -0500


Glyn,

One correction. Craig DID respond to my question on the same day.

Prakash

From: Jayant S <>

Subject: Re: Indian Compound steam: Glyn

Date: 16 Jul 1998 19:01:55 -0500


> This design was popular in Europe, especially in France. It was less
popular
> in the UK due to the increased complexity of the locos, and the fact
that
> drivers needed extra training to optimise its use. I suspect that
India
> followed UK practice. Comments?

There was one class of De Glehn compounds that I remember
reading about, in India on BG. But I have no memory of
the class or numbers. Should be in the book on
BG steam locos by Hugh Hughes.

--
Jayant S : ID Studio : Tata Technologies India Limited
Telco Premises : Pimpri : PUNE : 411 018 : INDIA
TEL 91(212)774261 ext 2534 : FAX 91(212)773191
--

From: Jayant S <>

Subject: Re: telco & railways: Apurva

Date: 16 Jul 1998 19:06:04 -0500


> JayantIs a hydraulic transmission / torque converter essential for a
rail
> vehicle? I know that even the newly introduced MG railbus has KPC /
Voith
> transmission and a Cummins engine. A Telco bus based rail vehicle
would be a
> very good solution for lines such as Pune - Jejuri, which has an
upcoming
> industrial area, a railway line but no easy transport (both road and
rail).
> What does Telco management feel about a new possible thrust in the
rail
> business ? Leyland (your competitor) has been supplying engines for
the 4
> wheeler and 8 wheeler overhead wiring cars for many years now.

A torque converter always helps. In a rail application where speeds are
constant compared to on-road, a gearbox with a large number of ratios
would not be required.

I do not know what my management feels, as we have been out of the
locomotive business for years now. Unless a design request comes from
IR themselves, nothing much can happen, I think.
--
Jayant S : ID Studio : Tata Technologies India Limited
Telco Premises : Pimpri : PUNE : 411 018 : INDIA
TEL 91(212)774261 ext 2534 : FAX 91(212)773191
--

The content of the individual messages displayed here is subject to copyright by the original authors and may not be reproduced outside the context of IRFCA without permission.
Note: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways! The official web site of Indian Railways is: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in
Site contact: webmaster@irfca.org
Copyright © 2010, IRFCA.org. About IRFCA  Contact Us  Search this site  Site Map  Links   Acknowledgements  Legal Information & Disclaimers