IRFCA Mailing List Archive

Messages 2601 - 2620

Previous 20 Messages          Archive Index          Next 20 Messages

From: Sridhar Shankar <msshanka@gsbmba2.email

Subject: Picture of Nilagiri Railway

Date: 12 May 1998 12:02:00 -0500


Folks,

I have some excellent pictures of the NMR, both steam hauled and the YDM4
hauled. My folks used to live there until recently and I have spent quite
a few summers there. I can scan and send it in a file if there are any
takers to house them at a web site.

-Sridhar

****************************************************************
Sridhar Shankar 5345 S.Harper Apt. 205
GSB'99 Chicago, IL 60615
University of Chicago (773) 752 1131
*****************************************************************

From: Steven Brown <able@ricochet.email

Subject: Re: Picture of Nilagiri Railway

Date: 12 May 1998 10:04:00 -0500


My website <A HREF="http://www.trainweb.com/indiarail/">http://www.trainweb.com/indiarail/</A> is available for posting
railway photos or anything else related to Indian Railways. I have set aside
a seperate IRFCA page <A HREF="http://www.trainweb.com/indiarail/irfca.htm">http://www.trainweb.com/indiarail/irfca.htm</A> for links
to all the new pages IRFCA people are creating, but I also have space
available for photos , complete web pages or interesting articles etc.

Steve

It is pleasing to see the number of new IR websites , both from the railfan
community and Indian Railways itself!
-----Original Message-----
From: Sridhar Shankar <msshanka@gsbmba2.email
To: irfca@cs.email <irfca@cs.email
Date: Tuesday, May 12, 1998 10:58 AM
Subject: Picture of Nilagiri Railway


>Folks,
>
>I have some excellent pictures of the NMR, both steam hauled and the YDM4
>hauled. My folks used to live there until recently and I have spent quite
>a few summers there. I can scan and send it in a file if there are any
>takers to house them at a web site.
>
>-Sridhar
>
>****************************************************************
>Sridhar Shankar 5345 S.Harper Apt. 205
>GSB'99 Chicago, IL 60615
>University of Chicago (773) 752 1131
>*****************************************************************
>
>

From: poras p.saklatwalla <pps@godrejnet.email

Subject: INDIAN RAILWAY

Date: 14 May 1998 02:13:00 -0500


Hi gang,

There was some discussion going on a few days ago on the prestigious
trains of CR The 1st train that immediately comes to my mind is
NDLS/BHOPAL SHATABDI EXPRESS and in the other superfast category I would
keep 2123dn Deccan Queen and the Taj Express between Bombay and Poona and
NDLS/GWALIOR.

Other trains on the Superfast trains which run on the CR are 2133DN
BOMBAY/LUCKNOW PUSHPAK EXPRESS WHICH THE OTHER DAY I SAW HAS A 1AC/2AC/3AC
AND a pantry car. Only recently it was reverted back to its superfast
status. Punjab mail to FEROZEPUR IS ANOTHER ONE.
1DN IS the most prestigious train on the SER ( CALCUTTA MAIL VIA NGP)
Followed by Geetanjali Express. Very soon Indrayani Pragati Chennai and
Lashkar express will join the SF category.

In NR the best ordinary short distance train is the Shane Punjab express
between NDLS and Amritsar and is full every day and is most preffered by
the public going to ASR. OF course NR has a host of SF trains and god
knows when we rail fanatics will get a chance of travelling the length and
breath of the country by rail.

The slowest trains on CR from Mumbai are Sahayadri Express and the
Bangalore Express. The Hussainsagar Express is a fairly good train but
doesn't match the class of Minar express.

Can someone tell me how many upcountry mail/express /passenger trains does
India have. Has anybody counted in the time table.

Probably Deccan Queen is the only train in this part of country that has a
dining car, I am not talking about pantry car, am talking about actually
food served on the table and chair in the train. Does any body in the
list knows of any other train in India, having a dining car.

Coming to loco changeovers, in the days of WDM2 HAULED Rajdhani Express
the changeover point of its loco was at Ratlam where a WAP 1 USED TO HAUL
IT TO DELHI. Now with WCAM 2P HAULING RAJDHANI EXPRESS HAS THE CHANGEOVER
PT BEEN SHIFTED TO BARODA ? PLS CLARIFY




P.P.SAKLATWALLA
4226/4232/4237

From: Shrinivas Bhatwadekar <shrinivas@rocketmail.email

Subject: Re: INDIAN RAILWAY

Date: 13 May 1998 02:09:00 -0500


---"poras p.saklatwalla " <pps@godrejnet.email wrote:
> Coming to loco changeovers, in the days of WDM2 HAULED Rajdhani
Express
> the changeover point of its loco was at Ratlam where a WAP 1 USED TO
HAUL
> IT TO DELHI. Now with WCAM 2P HAULING RAJDHANI EXPRESS HAS THE
CHANGEOVER
> PT BEEN SHIFTED TO BARODA ? PLS CLARIFY

Hello Poras,

The loco changeover for BCT-NDLS Rajdhani Exp & for AK rajdhani Exp.
is at Baroda.Both trains are hauled by WCAM type locos( AK generally
by the BHEL version) from BCT to Baroda.

>From Baroda to NDLS, Rajdhani Exp. is hauled by WAP5, 6000hp
three-phase GTO based loco( ie. ABB locos) and AK Rajdhani by the WAP
family conventional loco.

Now I think it's about a year that Rajdhani is being hauled by the new
WAP5 from Baroda.

-- Shrinivas Bhatwadekar
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at <A HREF="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com</A>

From: poras p.saklatwalla <pps@godrejnet.email

Subject: Re: INDIAN RAILWAY

Date: 14 May 1998 18:26:00 -0500


On Wed, 13 May 1998, Shrinivas Bhatwadekar wrote:

> ---"poras p.saklatwalla " <pps@godrejnet.email wrote:
> > Coming to loco changeovers, in the days of WDM2 HAULED Rajdhani
> Express
> > the changeover point of its loco was at Ratlam where a WAP 1 USED TO
> HAUL
> > IT TO DELHI. Now with WCAM 2P HAULING RAJDHANI EXPRESS HAS THE
> CHANGEOVER
> > PT BEEN SHIFTED TO BARODA ? PLS CLARIFY
>
> Hello Poras,
>
> The loco changeover for BCT-NDLS Rajdhani Exp & for AK rajdhani Exp.
> is at Baroda.Both trains are hauled by WCAM type locos( AK generally
> by the BHEL version) from BCT to Baroda.
>
> >From Baroda to NDLS, Rajdhani Exp. is hauled by WAP5, 6000hp
> three-phase GTO based loco( ie. ABB locos) and AK Rajdhani by the WAP
> family conventional loco.
>
> Now I think it's about a year that Rajdhani is being hauled by the new
> WAP5 from Baroda.
>
> -- Shrinivas Bhatwadekar
> _________________________________________________________
> DO YOU YAHOO!?
> Get your free @yahoo.com address at <A HREF="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com</A>
>

P.P.SAKLATWALLA
4226/4232/4237

Hi Fella,

This morning whilst coming to work I saw a WCM 6 parked standing near
Kurla marshalling yard near Vidhyavihar stn. Does anyone have any idea as
to what is this loco. It was in a combination of sky blue and a blue
splash livelry. Please do inform me.

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Trip to Karad

Date: 15 May 1998 07:05:00 -0500


Hi Gang,

Just been back from a business cum railfan trip to Karad. Footplated all
the 200 off kms on a WDM2. Will post detailed notes & photos later.
Gotta sleep now !
Apurva Bahadur

From: GlynThomas <GlynThomas@aol.email

Subject: Indian Railway Study Group

Date: 14 May 1998 18:19:00 -0500


Folks
I have placed a listing of the documents published by the IRSG on my Web site.
The link is <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/glynthomas/irail.html">http://members.aol.com/glynthomas/irail.html</A> . Let me know if any
of you are researching any of the railways documented.

Over the next week or so, I hope to create a bibliography based on the old
IRSG listing to put on the site.

Glyn

From: Larry Russell <lrussell@direct.email

Subject: Web pages

Date: 15 May 1998 07:50:00 -0500


Hi all , I now have a web page with GM locomotives from India, Bangladesh,
Sri Lanka and Pakistan, see me at
<A HREF="http://mypage.direct.ca/l/lrussell/lgr.html">http://mypage.direct.ca/l/lrussell/lgr.html</A>

This will be my EMD export site and will expand it when I get more room.
Larry

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Re: Trip to Cass, WV

Date: 16 May 1998 08:53:00 -0500


Hi Donald,

I am in Pune, India ! Where are you (WV -West Virginia, USA ?)

Locate our town in the western part of India. Please locate Mumbai (old
name Bombay) in the state of Maharashtra, Pune[pronounced as Poonay]
(old
name Poona) is located 191 KMs South East of Mumbai as the rails go.

WDM2 is the standard diesel electric loco (Alco R 251 V16 of 2600 HP)
used all over India on the non electrified tracks. Please go through
Bharat &
Siddharth's website
(<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~railinindia/rail2.html)">http://members.tripod.com/~railinindia/rail2.html)</A> to see how the WDM2
looks like.
My own photos of the Karad have also been developed and I am trying to
get them
together on a webpage.

The train I travelled was the 7384 Down Maharashtra Express which runs
from Gondia (on the Border of Madhya Pradesh near Nagpur) to Kolhapur in
the
south (near the border with Karnatak). A good map would help you in
locating
all these places. I travelled from Pune to Karad (204 Kms) on the way to
Kolhapur.

Guys, I need all the suggestions I can get. I will manage to scan the
pictures of my trip to Karad in JPG format in a few days. Which software
should I
use to make a HTML page ? I currently use the Netscape Communicator
4.04. What
should be the size of the page and where should I put it up and how do I
get
about doing it ? Let me know ASAP.

Will post more details about the WDM2 very soon.

Apurva Bahadur

Donald L. Mills, Jr wrote:

> Will be in Cass, to see the shays this weekend, look forward to seeing
> photos, I assume a WDM2 is a diesel loco-right. From where to where do you
> take it. Can I get your home town on a map. Will talk later. Friend in
> WV.
> ----------
> > From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email
> > To: Indian Railways Info Zone <irfca@cs.email
> > Subject: Trip to Karad
> > Date: Thursday, May 14, 1998 12:05 PM
> >
> > Hi Gang,
> >
> > Just been back from a business cum railfan trip to Karad. Footplated all
> > the 200 off kms on a WDM2. Will post detailed notes & photos later.
> > Gotta sleep now !
> > Apurva Bahadur

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Re: platforms

Date: 16 May 1998 09:00:00 -0500


VIRAL DESAI wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know which station in India has got the maximum
> number of platforms!
>

I think it must be Howrah (HWH) with two separate buildings for old and new
platforms.

> what about the rest of the world?
>
> what exactly the term "BOOKED SPEED" means in context with a
> particular train as well as
> a particular route(for eg. VIrar-BRC etc.)
>

Booked speed is the maximum speed that the rake can attain to confirm to
safety and schedule. A mail / express may be booked for 90 KMPH in a
section while a passenger (with a inferior rake) is allowed only 65 KMPH.

Apurva Bahadur

>



> Many thanx,
> Viral

From: sank <sank@telco.email

Subject: Re: Web pages

Date: 16 May 1998 19:35:00 -0500


Larry Russell wrote:
>
> Hi all , I now have a web page with GM locomotives from India, Bangladesh,
> Sri Lanka and Pakistan, see me at
> <A HREF="http://mypage.direct.ca/l/lrussell/lgr.html">http://mypage.direct.ca/l/lrussell/lgr.html</A>
>
> This will be my EMD export site and will expand it when I get more room.
> Larry

Just went through it: Great site ! Sad to find that the MG EMD locos
in India are retired: is there no chance for preservation ? I studied
the YDM3/YDM5 extensively during 1986. I wish some of the design
features in these locos had become a part of IR practice: the
cab and control stand were superior to those of the Alco equivalents.

Hope to see more information from you in the future.

--
Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
--

From: GlynThomas <GlynThomas@aol.email

Subject: Alcos in India

Date: 16 May 1998 03:39:00 -0500


Brad,
as promised, here are the Alco comments from IRSG newsletter 7. All the below
is a
direct quote from J.E. Daboo's article 'Review of Indian Electric and Diesel
locomotives'. I suspect you will already have most of this information. Can
anyone comment on whether the proposed imports of Alcos from Spain took place?

Quote--->

Broad Gauge Main Line

The first broad gauge diesels for mixed traffic main line work were obtained
in 1957.
These WDM1 are a standard Alco export product, having a full-width carbody,
single cab
with a short, rounded bonnet, and two three-axle bogies; about half of them
having dynamic
braking.

Higher powered diesels were soon required and two types were obtained, from
Alco (WDM2)
and GM (WDM4). They are of typical road-switcher configuration, with the cab
between a long,
narrow, high hood housing engine and generator, and a short, narrow, high hood
(or bonnet)
containing auxiliary equipment.

The WDM2 was selected as the Indian standard to be produced by DLW.
Manufacture has continued
over many years and this has become the largest modern locomotive class in
India, being used
on all broad gauge lines. Some have a lower bonnet (or cropped nose), and two
large
windows in the cab front, improving forward visibility.

For WDM2 and also other types of DLW-manufactured locomotive, DLW make 6-,
12-, and 16-cylinder
diesel engines which are basically the Alco 251 design. There is considerable
standardisation
of components across the different types of DLW locomotive.

....

The purchase of thirty 4000hp diesels from abroad was approved in 1991. It has
also been
proposed that 40 Alco locomotives of 1,100 and 1,500 hp be purchased second-
hand from
Spain.

Broad Gauge Shunter

....

Larger, more powerful six-axle diesel-electrics are used for heavy shunting
and local
traffic. After acquiring a few Alcos, large numbers of WDS6 have been built.

....

Metre Gauge

....

The third type (after YDM1 and YDM5) is the Alco YDM4. The first units,
classed YDM4A, were
made by Alco's Canadian subsiduary MLW. YDM4 was selected as the standard for
Indian metre
gauge, and many hundreds have been made by DLW. They have a noticable family
resemblance
to the broad gauge WDM2.

Class Mauf Year Quant Wheels Speed (MPH) HP Length O/A Total
W/B Bogie W/B Wheel Dia Weight (tons) Engine Remarks
BG ML
-----
WDM1 Alco 58- 100 Co-Co 65 1950/1800 55'0.5"
43'11.25" 13'9" 3'4 110 Alco V12 251B Alco spec
DL500
WDM2 Alco/DLW 62- 1700+ Co-Co 75-81 2600/2400 52' 42'1.25"
12'6" 3'7 104-111 Alco/DLW V16 251B Alco spec DL500 (some
with chopped nose)

BG S
----
WDS5 Alco 67- 21 Co-Co 68 1065 50'6.25" 40'1.25"
12'6" 3'7 124 Alco L6 251B Heavy shunter/local

MG
--
YDM4 Alco/DLW 68- 450+ Co-Co 60-62 1400/1200 40'6.25" 37'8"
11'6" 3'2 71 Alco L6 251D Standard m.g.
YDM4A MLW 64- 99 Co-Co 60 1400/1200 40'6.25" 37'8"
11'6" 3'2 66 MLW L6 251D Initial version. Spec
DL535.
<---

Glyn

From: Prakash Tendulkar <prakash@us.email

Subject: Re: Web pages

Date: 17 May 1998 00:32:00 -0500


Larry,

The first loco in Bangladesh does not have any caption. It is GMD,
Ontario, A1A-A1A supplied between 1954 and 1956. Maker serial #A453
through A482.

Prakash

Notes Address: Prakash Tendulkar/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
VM Address: IBMUSM50(PRAKASH)
Internet Address: prakash@us.email
Phone: (408)463-3536
DB2 Technical Consultant, Vendor Partnership Program

From: Philip Wormald <PWormald@compuserve.email

Subject: Indian Alcos

Date: 17 May 1998 07:37:00 -0500


Glyn,
Saw your interesting ALCO notes.

There were no Spanish ALCO loco's that went to India!

There are a number in Argentina and in Portugal, and still a few left in
Spain.

Regards,

Phil Wormald

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Re: Alcos in India

Date: 18 May 1998 07:47:00 -0500


As far as I know there the Spanish Locos never arrived, this must be a statement
from a 'cornered' management facing a loco crunch. I think with arrival the new
crop of DLW locos like WDG 1/2 and WDP 1/2 the crunch may be sorted out. The 4000
HP SD45 MAC ( initially homed at Hubli [UBL] - Karnatak ) coming later this year
would meet the needs of the 'heavy' freight on unelectrified lines. There is a
plan to manufacture these locos at DLW as well.
Please correct the name from WDS5 in the BGS section (in the table) to WDS6.

Apurva Bahadur

GlynThomas wrote:

> Brad,
> as promised, here are the Alco comments from IRSG newsletter 7. All the below
> is a
> direct quote from J.E. Daboo's article 'Review of Indian Electric and Diesel
> locomotives'. I suspect you will already have most of this information. Can
> anyone comment on whether the proposed imports of Alcos from Spain took place?
>
> Quote--->
>
> Broad Gauge Main Line
>
> The first broad gauge diesels for mixed traffic main line work were obtained
> in 1957.
> These WDM1 are a standard Alco export product, having a full-width carbody,
> single cab
> with a short, rounded bonnet, and two three-axle bogies; about half of them
> having dynamic
> braking.
>
> Higher powered diesels were soon required and two types were obtained, from
> Alco (WDM2)
> and GM (WDM4). They are of typical road-switcher configuration, with the cab
> between a long,
> narrow, high hood housing engine and generator, and a short, narrow, high hood
> (or bonnet)
> containing auxiliary equipment.
>
> The WDM2 was selected as the Indian standard to be produced by DLW.
> Manufacture has continued
> over many years and this has become the largest modern locomotive class in
> India, being used
> on all broad gauge lines. Some have a lower bonnet (or cropped nose), and two
> large
> windows in the cab front, improving forward visibility.
>
> For WDM2 and also other types of DLW-manufactured locomotive, DLW make 6-,
> 12-, and 16-cylinder
> diesel engines which are basically the Alco 251 design. There is considerable
> standardisation
> of components across the different types of DLW locomotive.
>
> ....
>
> The purchase of thirty 4000hp diesels from abroad was approved in 1991. It has
> also been
> proposed that 40 Alco locomotives of 1,100 and 1,500 hp be purchased second-
> hand from
> Spain.
>
> Broad Gauge Shunter
>
> ....
>
> Larger, more powerful six-axle diesel-electrics are used for heavy shunting
> and local
> traffic. After acquiring a few Alcos, large numbers of WDS6 have been built.
>
> ....
>
> Metre Gauge
>
> ....
>
> The third type (after YDM1 and YDM5) is the Alco YDM4. The first units,
> classed YDM4A, were
> made by Alco's Canadian subsiduary MLW. YDM4 was selected as the standard for
> Indian metre
> gauge, and many hundreds have been made by DLW. They have a noticable family
> resemblance
> to the broad gauge WDM2.
>
> Class Mauf Year Quant Wheels Speed (MPH) HP Length O/A Total
> W/B Bogie W/B Wheel Dia Weight (tons) Engine Remarks
> BG ML
> -----
> WDM1 Alco 58- 100 Co-Co 65 1950/1800 55'0.5"
> 43'11.25" 13'9" 3'4 110 Alco V12 251B Alco spec
> DL500
> WDM2 Alco/DLW 62- 1700+ Co-Co 75-81 2600/2400 52' 42'1.25"
> 12'6" 3'7 104-111 Alco/DLW V16 251B Alco spec DL500 (some
> with chopped nose)
>
> BG S
> ----
> WDS5 Alco 67- 21 Co-Co 68 1065 50'6.25" 40'1.25"
> 12'6" 3'7 124 Alco L6 251B Heavy shunter/local
>
> MG
> --
> YDM4 Alco/DLW 68- 450+ Co-Co 60-62 1400/1200 40'6.25" 37'8"
> 11'6" 3'2 71 Alco L6 251D Standard m.g.
> YDM4A MLW 64- 99 Co-Co 60 1400/1200 40'6.25" 37'8"
> 11'6" 3'2 66 MLW L6 251D Initial version. Spec
> DL535.
> <---
>
> Glyn

From: Philippe Quiot (TOG Devt. SA) <tog-sa@he.email

Subject: Re: Indian Railway Study Group

Date: 18 May 1998 02:27:00 -0500


Hello,

Oh, oh...

More later about preserving a Y-something... but...

- rather bad news first - I suspect that / with IR /
price for scrap is NOT the same as price for reuse
(whatever the kind of reuse...)

- ???? - should talk to french Baie de Somme:
for british enthusiasts... their meter gauge network
is just "the other side of the water" !

- then rather good news - re: transportation, prices
are NOT that high...
same Baie de Somme are well experienced at this kind
of transport with the MICHELINE (ex-Madagascar);

a couple of years ago,
they also made a study for bringing a meter gauge
PACIFIC (french one) from VietNam and through the
negociations... prices were virtually
cut by 6 from approx. "just less that 1 million FF"
to "probably less than 150'000 FF"

well... Vietnamese Railways mistakingly scrapped their PACIFIC
after everything was offically OK for preserving her...

let's try to do better with an Y-something from India !

In short... the idea is worth being studied further...
------------------------------------------------------

About the IRSG material / once copyright problems are OK /
pls note that I have most of old newsletters and I can
- scan drawings,
- try to scan (OCR) texts

For storing this, I found a new (?) server
which gives away 10Meg. bytes
or FREE space for non-business WEB sites.

Just look at

<A HREF="http://www.fortunecity.com">http://www.fortunecity.com</A>

Could be OK for storing some stuff.

Minor problem is that they do not allow some tricks like
"include" and "CGI", not even creating sub-directories...
and site must be done the good "old" (!?) basic way,
i.e. using FRONTPAGE and doing simple HTML

Bye

GlynThomas wrote:
>
> Folks,
> there seems to be a lot of interest in the old IRSG material. I have dug out
> the old newsletters. Kelvin managed to publish 10 newsletters between 1991 and

> I support Philip Quiot's proposal
> to bring a YP to Europe. It's a sad fact that steam engines are more likely to
> be cared for in Europe that in India. The quoted price for a YP seems to be a
> bargain, although the cost of transportation is likely to dwarf the purchase
> price (a problem that BOHRT has run into with trying to bring British built
> locos back to Britain from around the World).
>

--

===================================================================
TOG Devt. S.A. "IXpert" Philippe QUIOT
CH - 1092 Belmont tog-sa@he.email
internet/intranet consulting ( )
___ ____________ ( _ )
_________|___||____________| _____ | |
| [ ] |[ ] |___||___|_____|____|_|__|-|
______|__________[__] |[_____] |---------//-\\----|-----|
[ ] | |________//___\\ | )
[ Px48 ] | | | (________)\\__|_____|
[_____________________]==|_________|-|----/-\----/ -\--___\\|-
|=| ====== ====== |_________|_| - / - \ /-----(___)\\=|=|
| (O)(O) (O)(O) (O)-(O) /(O)-(O)/ |
===================================================================
"Times of Glory" trade/consulting in railway/travel/tourism areas
tog@bahnhofplatz.email
<A HREF="http://www.bahnhofplatz.com/">http://www.bahnhofplatz.com/</A>

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Spanish Alcos in India

Date: 19 May 1998 22:18:00 -0500


Hi Gang,

Refer to the news in the past which stated that second hand Alcos were
being procured from the Spanish Railways:

Once in a way we have statement or even action from the Railway which
is more a result of being caught in a crunch rather than a clear policy
decision.

One such announcement a few years ago (1992 -93 ?) was that the
Mumbai division trains of the Central Railways out of CSTM were to be
diesel hauled. The reason for this announcement was that the DC powers
like WCM 1 -5 and the WCG 2 were in a state of frequent failure due to
age and other factors. At that time the youngest locos in the CSTM
fleet were the 'screaming' WCG2 class arrived in 1972 !
This was the period before the CR was delivered the new WCAM 3
locos. There were several test conducted with WDM2s and a few
mail/express drivers were sent to Katni (KTE) / New Katni Junction (NKJ)
for Diesel training. This caused some resentment with some of the
senior Mumbai division drivers who had never 'worked' any other
'powers' except the DC electrics and felt that they would lose their
seniority to the younger Diesel trained drivers. There were also
articles in the newspapers about the harmful effects of the diesel smoke
in the tunnels of the Ghat section.
Any way the Diesel locos never arrived on the mail expresses, the
motive power situation in the Mumbai Division improved and we are still
riding DC electrics (or AC/DC electrics) ever since. The other locos
which never arrived in numbers were the much anticipated WCM 6 & WCG 3
class.

Today the only regularly Diesel hauled Mail / Express out of Mumbai
are the Konkan Railway trains.

Apurva Bahadur

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Upper Quadrant signalling system

Date: 19 May 1998 23:10:00 -0500


Observations of the Pune Karad Footplate ride:

The single line from Pune(PA) to Kolhapur(KOP) via Miraj (MRJ)
has the Oil lamp lit upper quadrant semaphore system. The 'token' for
the 'route relay interlock' consist of a metal ball which must be
carried in the loco as a permission to enter a section. In case the
train is 'passing through' meaning not stopping at the station, the
assistant driver puts on a thick arm protector and leans out of the
loco. One of the station staff carries the token in a reed and leather
hoop about two feet in diameter. The assistant driver in one rapid move
drops the older token and picks up the fresh token from this man
standing on the ground. Then the assistant driver shows the green flag
to the station master as well as honks the horn to indicate a good 'pick
up'. Then he shouts the token number along with the section name to the
driver who enters it in his log. The token is picked up in the night
in the same way, except the man from the station also carriers a flaming
kerosene soaked rag to indicate his position in the night.
The overwhelming concern on the footplate was the early sighting of
signals. The drivers really stained to 'sight' the signals much before
the appearance of the 'sighting board'. The 'sighting board' is a
rectangular board with one circle and horizontal lines above and below
it. This board has fluorescent tape or reflectors for use in the night.
It is from the 'sighting board' that the signal should be easily
visible. But the drivers could spot the 'distant' or 'home' signals from
a much earlier distance. It is amazing to see the drivers agreeing with
each other 'distant caution' or 'home caution -road one' where my
untrained eyes could not see anything at all in the back ground foliage
and rocks. Not only the drivers 'sighted' the signals, while shouting
the aspect of the signal to each other in the 80 dB footplate noise,
they also raised their palms to mimic the aspect of the signal with
their fingers. One interesting term I heard was 'Distant - Forty Five' -
the angle of the distant signal - it the 'attention' mode. Similarly
there was 'Advanced starter Ninety' - Proceed at full speed !
The 'Distant' signal (Yellow coloured with a fish tail notch) can be
'on' (Horizontal - next signal is red), or at Attention (45 degrees up -
next signal is clear). 'Attention' is the semaphore equivalent of
'double yellow', there is a separate yellow lamp which gets uncovered
during 'attention' to light up 'double yellow' in the night.
The 'Home' signal (Red with white bands before the platform) can be
'on' (Horizontal - Do not cross), at Caution ( 45 degrees, can cross but
next signal is not clear) or 'Proceed' (fully vertical - proceed at full
speed).
The Home signal also serves as route indicator. There are would be three
home signals if the station has one main track and two 'loop' platform
tracks. The track nearest to the station master's cabin is the 'Road
One'. Thus out of the three home signals, the appropriate signal would
indicate in which directions the points are set.
Just after the platform is the 'Starter' signal (Red with white
bands). This can be 'On' (Horizontal - Do not cross) or at Caution (45
degrees - cross with speed restriction).
Once the platform is cleared we come across the 'Advanced Starter'
which can be either On (Horizontal) or Proceed (Fully Vertical).
There is also a gate signal indicating that the level crossing gate is
closed.

Apurva Bahadur

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Slowest Train of them all !

Date: 20 May 1998 00:03:00 -0500


To continue an older debate about the slowest train of them all :

The Nagpur - Ajni section (4 Km) takes a 20 minutes non stop run. This
section is worked by 5 pair of trains daily. Note that these timings are
'departure to arrival' and these are the actual journey time.
I do not think the IR can better this timing !

I have noticed (on atleast two occasions ) that even the Mail/ Express
trains travelling towards Wardha from Nagpur have long halts at, or
before Ajni for well over 20 minutes awaiting a clear signal.

Apurva Bahadur

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Indrayani Express

Date: 20 May 1998 00:30:00 -0500


When the Indrayani Express from Mumbai to Pune was introduced, it
followed the 'high aims' of limited stops. Specially the 1022 Up
(2113Dn / 2114 Up was her S/F number before she slid amongst commoners)
had no stop at Karjat & Kalyan a la Deccan Queen, while returning to
Mumbai.
But a daily ritual of chain pulling at Ulhas Nagar / Vitthal Wadi (just
before Kalyan) ensure that the Kalyan / Dombivali /Ulhas Nagar
passengers would definitely have a stop. Every one knew about these
stops and took them for granted - the traveling public/ the drivers/ the
railway officials and the police. At least a few hundred passengers and
indeed railwaymen (including catering staff etc) would use this 'stop'
to get home faster.
Since then (since the introduction of air braked rake ?- the alarm chain
in air braked rakes does not directly apply the brakes as in the vaccum
braked rake - it just sounds a hooter in the loco cab) the management
has added Karjat as well as Kalyan as stops in Up as well as Down
direction.

Apurva Bahadur

The content of the individual messages displayed here is subject to copyright by the original authors and may not be reproduced outside the context of IRFCA without permission.
Note: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways! The official web site of Indian Railways is: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in
Site contact: webmaster@irfca.org
Copyright © 2010, IRFCA.org. About IRFCA  Contact Us  Search this site  Site Map  Links   Acknowledgements  Legal Information & Disclaimers