IRFCA Mailing List Archive

Messages 2581 - 2600

Previous 20 Messages          Archive Index          Next 20 Messages

From: Kartik Subramanian <ksubrama@eecs.email

Subject: Re: Train of Prestige

Date: 10 May 1998 13:27:00 -0500


>
> Since I travel a lot by this train, may be I can add something. To
> the best of my memory (I haven't tried to count the general coaches
> on either end), it is still a 22-coach train, though there has been
> a lot of talk of making it a 24-coach train. It has 14 sleeper
> class coaches, 5 AC coaches (one AC-3T, two AC-2T, two HA types:
> half AC-1st, half AC-2T), and 3 general. When I travelled by it
> day before yesterday, the two HA coaches had been replaced by
> one AC-1st class, and one AC-2T, so a total of 3 AC-2T coaches,

Hi Dheeraj et al,
Thanks for giving us the details about the composition of the PRaj
express. Do any other trains in India have this 'hybrid' AC coach? - I
mean the HA types as you had mentioned earlier( half Ac 1st, half AC-2T) ?

Thanks,
Regards,
Kartik

From: sank <sank@telco.email

Subject: DHR

Date: 11 May 1998 18:24:00 -0500


This one is on Rediff:

<A HREF="http://www.rediff.com/travel/1998/may/09darj.htm">http://www.rediff.com/travel/1998/may/09darj.htm</A>

Wish they had more pictures of the train though, instead of
just one image.......which appears to be from:

<A HREF="http://www2.gol.com/users/jraby/darjeel.html">http://www2.gol.com/users/jraby/darjeel.html</A>

--
Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
--

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject:

Date: 11 May 1998 19:13:00 -0500


Re: Train of Prestige
Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 17:36:15 +0530
From:
"Dr. Shirish Yande" <yandesh@giaspn01.email
To:
Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email
References:
1




Apoorva,

It is interesting to note which train is the one of prestige in the eyes
of
IR.
Indeed when the NDLS Gwalior Shatabdi was introduced., it was the most
prestigeous train around, With the introduction of a dozen more
shatabdis,
the prestige of all Shatabis has been diluted. A lot of Shaytabdis are
now
hauled by WDM 2's, and do not run beyond 100 km/hr.
What has happened to the Taj Express now? Or for that matter the poor
Flying
Ranee which attracted a great prestige at one time?
I feel the Shatabdis are still prestigeous trains by and large. They
also
do
hard work and do a lot of justice to fast traffic.
Rajdhanis are the second bests and work day and night . The most
prestigeous
Rajdhani however is still the Delhi Howrah introduced as far back as on
1st
march 1969.
Shirish

Apurva Bahadur wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> Well, the longest (largest - having the most tonnage/bulk) train out
of
> CSTM is the 2033 Dn Pushpak Express to Lucknow (LKO) with 22 coaches
> right out of CSTM. Also the 6529 Dn Udhyan Exp to Bangalore (SBC)
> converts to 22 coaches after Solapur (SUR), butnot at CSTM.
> The train with the longest travel is the humble 1081 Jayanti Janta to
> Kanya Kumari (CAPE)
> The train with least number of stops is the 2027 Shatabdi to Pune (PA)

> This train when introduced had NO stops except for technical halts at
> Khandala, Monkey Hill, and Nagnath / Thakurwadi in the Up direction
and
> Karjat / Lonavala in the down direction.
> The fastest train to the destination (not trains to Pune) was the
Minar
> to Secundrabad. The rake used to wait in SC for a while and then be
> renamed as Konark to Bhubaneshwar. Now the whole rake goes all the way

> from CSTM to BBS, but slower than before.
> The train with the most negative thoughts attached to it must be the
> 3004 to Howrah (HWH) via Allahabad (ALD) ? or 8029 Kurla Howrah Exp
> (CLAT-HWH) via Nagpur (NGP).
> If the DQ is the Train of Prestige then it certainly does not as hard
> working as the WR trains.
>
> Apurva Bahadur

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Re: Train of Prestige

Date: 11 May 1998 19:20:00 -0500


Hi Kartik !

I remember on the innaugural Hussain Sagar Exp at Pune I saw a single
coach consisting of AC chair car + AC sleeper (Ist class or 2T I do not
remember). Also I have seen a 2nd class 2T + 1 st class cabin coach on
the Roha - Diva Passenger on the KR.

More contibutions are invited for 'freak' and unusual IR coaches.

Apurva Bahadur

Kartik Subramanian wrote:

> >
> > Since I travel a lot by this train, may be I can add something. To
> > the best of my memory (I haven't tried to count the general coaches
> > on either end), it is still a 22-coach train, though there has been
> > a lot of talk of making it a 24-coach train. It has 14 sleeper
> > class coaches, 5 AC coaches (one AC-3T, two AC-2T, two HA types:
> > half AC-1st, half AC-2T), and 3 general. When I travelled by it
> > day before yesterday, the two HA coaches had been replaced by
> > one AC-1st class, and one AC-2T, so a total of 3 AC-2T coaches,
>
> Hi Dheeraj et al,
> Thanks for giving us the details about the composition of the PRaj
> express. Do any other trains in India have this 'hybrid' AC coach? - I
> mean the HA types as you had mentioned earlier( half Ac 1st, half AC-2T) ?
>
> Thanks,
> Regards,
> Kartik

From: sank <sank@telco.email

Subject: Re: DHR

Date: 11 May 1998 19:22:00 -0500


Apurva Bahadur wrote:
>
> Jayant,
>
> Just as the Nilgiri railways is going to be dieselised very soon ( I
> think trials have been conducted with YDM 4) the DHR can only be steam
> hauled to the best of my knowledge. Is there any plan to change to DHR
> locos with Diesel ?
>
> Apurva Bahadur
>

I seem to have only conflicting info on this: it seems to be a tossup
between new oil-fired steam locos and Matheran-type diesel-hydraulics.
I have no idea what the rationale for either approach is going to be.
Even with diesels, the transit time may not improve significantly as
the line passes through populated areas and criss-crosses the busy
Siliguri-Darjeeling highway, and a revival of freight traffic is
unlikely. The tourist attraction part of it is going to suffer a
setback if steam is stopped. On the other hand the cost of procuring
and running new steam on the line must be very high.

About the Nilgiri dieselisation: how are they doing it on the
rack-assisted section ? Fitting a YDM4 with rack gear ?
--
Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
--

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Re: DHR

Date: 11 May 1998 19:25:00 -0500


Jayant,

Just as the Nilgiri railways is going to be dieselised very soon ( I
think trials have been conducted with YDM 4) the DHR can only be steam
hauled to the best of my knowledge. Is there any plan to change to DHR
locos with Diesel ?

Apurva Bahadur

sank@telco.email wrote:

> This one is on Rediff:
>
> <A HREF="http://www.rediff.com/travel/1998/may/09darj.htm">http://www.rediff.com/travel/1998/may/09darj.htm</A>
>
> Wish they had more pictures of the train though, instead of
> just one image.......which appears to be from:
>
> <A HREF="http://www2.gol.com/users/jraby/darjeel.html">http://www2.gol.com/users/jraby/darjeel.html</A>
>
> --
> Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
> Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
> tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
> --

From: Shrinivas Bhatwadekar <shrinivas@rocketmail.email

Subject: Rare Photograph of WAG9

Date: 10 May 1998 18:51:00 -0500


Hi All,

You can see a rare photograph of WAG9 , the new 6000 hp goods locomotive of Indian Railways being transported
by cargo aeroplane by visiting : <A HREF="http://www.adtranz.ch/fot05.html">http://www.adtranz.ch/fot05.html</A>.

Regards,

-- Shrinivas

=====================

SHRINIVAS BHATWADEKAR








<hr size=1><b>DO YOU YAHOO!?</b><br>Get your free @yahoo.com address at <a href="<A HREF="http://mail.yahoo.com">Yahoo">http://mail.yahoo.com">Yahoo</A>! Mail</a>.<br>

From: sank <sank@telco.email

Subject: Re: Rare Photograph of WAG9

Date: 11 May 1998 20:21:00 -0500


Shrinivas Bhatwadekar wrote:
>
> Hi All, You can see a rare photograph of WAG9 , the new 6000 hp goods
> locomotive of Indian Railways being transported by cargo aeroplane by
> visiting : <A HREF="http://www.adtranz.ch/fot05.html">http://www.adtranz.ch/fot05.html</A>. Regards, -- Shrinivas
> ===================== SHRINIVAS BHATWADEKAR
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> DO YOU YAHOO!?
> Get your free @yahoo.com address at Yahoo! Mail.


Small correction: it seems to be at:
<A HREF="http://www.adtranz.ch/foto5.htm">http://www.adtranz.ch/foto5.htm</A>

--
Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
--

From: Shrinivas Bhatwadekar <shrinivas@rocketmail.email

Subject: Re: Rare Photograph of WAG9

Date: 10 May 1998 19:23:00 -0500


---sank@telco.email wrote:
>
> Shrinivas Bhatwadekar wrote:
> >
> > Hi All, You can see a rare photograph of WAG9 , the new 6000 hp
goods
> > locomotive of Indian Railways being transported by cargo aeroplane
by
> > visiting : <A HREF="http://www.adtranz.ch/fot05.html">http://www.adtranz.ch/fot05.html</A>. Regards, -- Shrinivas
> > ===================== SHRINIVAS BHATWADEKAR
> >
----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > DO YOU YAHOO!?
> > Get your free @yahoo.com address at Yahoo! Mail.
>
>
> Small correction: it seems to be at:
> <A HREF="http://www.adtranz.ch/foto5.htm">http://www.adtranz.ch/foto5.htm</A>
>
> --
> Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
> Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
> tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
> --

Yes, Sorry of the typing error.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at <A HREF="http://mail.yahoo.com">http://mail.yahoo.com</A>

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Most popular train in India ?

Date: 11 May 1998 23:47:00 -0500


Hi gang !

If Prayag Raj Express runs with 24 coaches packed to capacity through
out the year, is this the most popular (populous ?) train running in
India ?

>From Pune I can easily say that 1081 Dn CSTM-CAPE is the most crowded
train in our section. Always full round the year. Another very packed
train is 1077 Dn Jhelam Express to JAT.

>From Mumbai on the CR, the 1027 Dn (DR-GKP) (Kashi Express ?) will be
easily the most packed train towards the NE.

Tell me the most crowded train in your opinion.

Apurva Bahadur

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Re: DHR

Date: 11 May 1998 23:51:00 -0500


sank@telco.email wrote:

> Apurva Bahadur wrote:
> >
> > Jayant,
> >
> > Just as the Nilgiri railways is going to be dieselised very soon ( I
> > think trials have been conducted with YDM 4) the DHR can only be steam
> > hauled to the best of my knowledge. Is there any plan to change to DHR
> > locos with Diesel ?
> >
> > Apurva Bahadur
> >
>
> I seem to have only conflicting info on this: it seems to be a tossup
> between new oil-fired steam locos and Matheran-type diesel-hydraulics.
> I have no idea what the rationale for either approach is going to be.
> Even with diesels, the transit time may not improve significantly as
> the line passes through populated areas and criss-crosses the busy
> Siliguri-Darjeeling highway, and a revival of freight traffic is
> unlikely. The tourist attraction part of it is going to suffer a
> setback if steam is stopped. On the other hand the cost of procuring
> and running new steam on the line must be very high.
>
> About the Nilgiri dieselisation: how are they doing it on the
> rack-assisted section ? Fitting a YDM4 with rack gear ?

I guess the YDM 4 will run from Mettupalayam to Connoor and then the
remaining (6?) X class would haul the rake to Ooty. The oil fired steam loco
is indeed a very expensive option, I think the loco under consideration is
also made by SLM as was the original X class. Viraf Mulla has seen this
stretch in detail, perhaps he could answer the query ?

Apurva Bahadur

> --
> Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
> Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
> tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
> --

From: VIRAF P.. MULLA <sncf@godrejnet.email

Subject: Re: DHR

Date: 12 May 1998 01:01:00 -0500


Hi Appu,

> I guess the YDM 4 will run from Mettupalayam to Connoor and then the
> remaining (6?) X class would haul the rake to Ooty. The oil fired steam loco
> is indeed a very expensive option, I think the loco under consideration is
> also made by SLM as was the original X class. Viraf Mulla has seen this
> stretch in detail, perhaps he could answer the query ?


It's the other way round. The X class will haul the train from
Mettupalayam to coonoor and the YDM 4 takes over to Ooty. Lucky for me
when I had been there with my Swiss friends the only YDM4 had failed and
was waiting for the maintenance crew from the Golden Rock as such my train
was steam hauled all the way to Ooty. Hope it always remains like that.

==========================
Viraf Mulla
C-20/14, Jeevan Bima Nagar,
Borivali (West)
Mumbai 400103
Tel: +91-22-8954510
E-mail: sncf@godrejnet.email
==========================

From: sank <sank@telco.email

Subject: Re: Special Stations

Date: 12 May 1998 19:40:00 -0500


> Apparently New Jalpaiguri has (had ?) all the guages as well.

As far as I know, NJP still has BG, MG and 2'0" NG, and I do not know
of any other station with 3 gauges.


--
Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
--

From: sank <sank@telco.email

Subject: Re: MG diesels

Date: 12 May 1998 19:49:00 -0500


> Having only seen the YDM4 I need info about the internal arrangement of
> the other locos. Specially the YDM5 was a streamliner like the 'Jumbo'
> WDM2. How was the forward vision of these locos. And at the end of the
> journey were they reversed on a turntable or were they sent anyway ?

I was at the Sabarmati diesel shed in 1986 where the YDM3 and YDM5
GE-EMD locos were based. I took cab rides on several occasions. The
forward vision was nothing short of excellent (though to call them
'streamliners' would be stretching a point). They also looked
very elegant compared to the WDM2 Jumbo. Both classes had identical
cabs but differed in the drive arrangements: the YDM3 was 1-B-B-1,
while the YDM5 was a C-C. They frequently ran hood-end leading: the
only time they were turned was when two needed to be mu-ed together,
which was only done rarely for heavy freights.

I have a b&w photo somewhere (!) which I have been promising to scan
and send to whoever is interested, but I haven't got around to it yet;
hopefully I can unearth it soon ! Can I mail you a jpeg then ?

I heard recently on the list that both classes have been withdrawn.

--
Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
--

From: sank <sank@telco.email

Subject: Re: New addition to our site!

Date: 12 May 1998 20:37:00 -0500


> have a lok at-
> <A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~railinindia/rail2.html">http://members.tripod.com/~railinindia/rail2.html</A>


All I can say is: this is an incredible labor of love and a great
resource for all of us: looking forward to the updates.

BTW the WP type at the NRM is actually a WP/P: one of the
original Baldwin prototypes with boxpok wheels and a slightly
different nose-cone. There is a WL loco parked ahead of it which
you could add to the list of locos you have to cover, as it was the
third of the IR BG standard steam locos.

Great Work, Guys !!

--
Jayant S : IDStudio : TTIL : ERC : TELCO
Pimpri : Pune : 411 018 : INDIA
tel - 91(212)774261 exn 2534
--

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: Your Website

Date: 13 May 1998 00:18:00 -0500


Wow Bharat & Siddhartha

What a website ! Stirs the blood like nothing else does.

Great Effort.

Apurva Bahadur

From: PROTIP.DASGUPTA <protip@giasbmc.email

Subject: New addition to our site!

Date: 12 May 1998 09:24:00 -0500


Hi All,
Siddhartha and my site has just been updated with a new page...
have a lok at-
<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~railinindia/rail2.html">http://members.tripod.com/~railinindia/rail2.html</A>

Do let us know what you think of it and if you can provide any further
information about it and so on
Best viewed in Netscape Gold 3 on a 800 x 600 resolution!
Enjoy!
Regards,
Bharat and Siddhartha

From: rpthakur <rpthakur@giasdl01.email

Subject: Re: Most popular train in India ?

Date: 13 May 1998 07:44:00 -0500


TRY LOOKING AT 2553/2554 VAISHALI EXPRESS( BARAUNI-NEW DELHI VIA
GORAKHPUR). IT HAS 22 COACHES AND CERTAINLY PACKED TO THREE TIMES ITS
CARRYING CAPACITY.PEOPLE QUE UP FOR SIX HOURS AT NDLS TO GET IN THE GS
COACHES. IT BASICALLY CARRIES EASTERN U.P.-BIHAR LABOURERS FROM NORTHERN
INDIA.
RANJAN P.THAKUR

Apurva Bahadur wrote:

> Hi gang !
>
> If Prayag Raj Express runs with 24 coaches packed to capacity through
> out the year, is this the most popular (populous ?) train running in
> India ?
>
> >From Pune I can easily say that 1081 Dn CSTM-CAPE is the most crowded
> train in our section. Always full round the year. Another very packed
> train is 1077 Dn Jhelam Express to JAT.
>
> >From Mumbai on the CR, the 1027 Dn (DR-GKP) (Kashi Express ?) will be
> easily the most packed train towards the NE.
>
> Tell me the most crowded train in your opinion.
>
> Apurva Bahadur

From: ranand <ranand@us.email

Subject: Re: Most popular train in India ?

Date: 12 May 1998 13:28:00 -0500


I would vote for the Madras Bangalore mail. It too has 20 odd
coaches and is usually full weeks in advance. I believe that the demand
is so high that another night train has actually been started.

Anand

Internet: anand@watson.email
External tel: (914) 784 7054
Notes: Rangachari Anand/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Tie-line: 863 7054

From: Apurva Bahadur <iti@giaspn01.email

Subject: DMU

Date: 13 May 1998 08:46:00 -0500


Hi Gang !

One of our products is the engine control panel used in the (relatively)
new ICF made DEMU. This is the Diesel Electic Multiple Unit Train. This
is a three coach train with one Driving power car (DPC), a trailer car
(TC) and a Driving Trailer Car (DTC). The prime mover is the on board
Cummins India VTA 1710 of 705 HP driving a Brushless alternator of BHEL
or NGEF origin. The DPC has all the four sets of wheels with motors. The
DEMU's face looks like the MEMU (Mail Line EMU - another ICF baby)
shown in Bharat & Siddharth's website
(<A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/~railinindia/rail2.html)">http://members.tripod.com/~railinindia/rail2.html)</A>.
The DEMU is a unique concept in the sense of having an on board engine.
Nowhere else in the world is diesel electric traction employed for such
rapid transit vehicles. Worldwide the underfloor flat engine and the
hydraulic tranmission is the standard. Only recently the ICF has also
started making a DHMU (yup, a hydraulic DMU) with TWO Cummins NTA 855R
underfloor engine and a Voith transmission made by Kirloskar Pneumatics,
Pune. The DHMU seats atleast 50 passengers more in the space freed by
the engine and alternator.
The DEMU & the DHMU is totally vestibuled, well lit and ventilated.
Doors with steps and a rapid acceleration and stoppage (though nowhere
in the league of the Mumbai EMUs) has made it an instant hit in the
previously loco hauled branch lines. It can be driven from either end is
designed to carry around 500 - 800 pass in sitting standing
configuration (I will confirm the exact stats later) per 3 coach DEMU.

In the IR, there a very strong 'electrical' lobby which will push for
the electric tranmission as a policy. India has a dismal record of
Hydraulic transmission and the H~c tranny requires a lot of mechanical
skill and cleanliness which we may just not have. As yet the few DHMUs
(working in Secundrabad) are working well after some teething trouble.
I will soon post the country wide distribution of the DEMU and DHMU
population and its variants.

Of course the DEMU & DHMU run in multiple unit consisting of six coaches
(with two power cars at either end) or with nine coaches (I am not sure
if any 9 coach trains are yet in service, but the design permits it.).
Other variants of the DEMU package are the DETC (Diesel Electric Tower
Car), the self propelled brake down and accident relief rake and the
self propelled medical relief train. The DETC is a single coach with a
hydraulic platform (the tower !) which can be swung onto the adjuscant
track to cater to the catenary. The unique feature of the DETC is a
pantograph which is used to check the ride panto and the alignment of
the conductors, and to view the panto in action, there is a all weather
cockpit (with wipers) in which the OHE staff rides. A DETC can be seen
at Kalyan, another can be seen at Bhusawal where the north bound and
east bound trains stop, (You do go up front to see the loco at Bhusawal,
don't you ?)
More postings on the DEMU and the experiance we had on the DEMU ( KR)
at Madgaon Goa soon.

Apurva Bahadur

The content of the individual messages displayed here is subject to copyright by the original authors and may not be reproduced outside the context of IRFCA without permission.
Note: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways! The official web site of Indian Railways is: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in
Site contact: webmaster@irfca.org
Copyright © 2010, IRFCA.org. About IRFCA  Contact Us  Search this site  Site Map  Links   Acknowledgements  Legal Information & Disclaimers